Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man

Oddometer:

Three of us recently spent two weeks riding from Laredo, to Mexico City, Vera Cruz, Villahermosa (you can keep that town), Palenque, over the hills to the Pacific Coast and then back to Mexico City. It was one of the most incredible rides I've ever done, right up there with the ride to Prudhoe Bay.

Mexico is so unsafe that one of our riders spent an extra week or two at the beach (San Angustinillo) :lol3

Not one problem, but i do agree on them damned topes!!

Bottom line is that we will be spreading the word far and wide about how great it is in Mexico, especially on a motorcycle. :freaky
  2. StinkyBoy13

StinkyBoy13 Stinky Pig

Oddometer:
    The only way I feel safe riding in Ole Mexico is ridin with McFoil and tha Rusty Machetes! Well most of em anyway. I figure after 5 years of travilin south it pretty much pans out how it is sposed to.Tha way i see it is if you can survive the Espinazo del Diablo in the cold cold rain you've got it made! Goin back 5 more times just to see if ya missed any of the 2200 turns is just a bonus. Why would anyone in they're right mind Not Ride as far as they could in Mexico? The only thing that would impeed this prosess is cash and time. Which in my case one or the other determines the trip. Nothing but kind helpful people I have found in My Most Favorite Place in the World. El Jeffe AKA StinkyBoy13
  3. Jick Magger

Jick Magger Exile on Main Street

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley BC, Canada/Scottsdale, Arizona
    I received this email today. It outlines how Mexpro is handling the insurance changes in Mexico

Dear Customer,
    We are writing to inform you of a radical change to Mexico Liability Law.

In the past, the liability damages imposed on an at-fault driver who caused a negligent fatality in Mexico were capped at 750 days multiplied by the local Mexico Minimum Wage (approximately $ 50,000 total damages in most Mexican States). Effective immediately, that limit has been increased by the Mexican Government to 5,000 days multiplied by the local Mexico minimum wage (up to approximately $ 300,000 US Dollars total damages, depending on the Mexican State).

WE NOW RECOMMEND THAT ALL OUR CUSTOMERS PURCHASE A MINIMUM OF $300,000 in LIABILITY LIMITS, AND SERIOUSLY CONSIDER THE $500,000 LIMIT!

What happens if I have a current policy in force with limits of $ 50,000 or $ 100,000?
    Each of our underwriters, ABA Seguros, ACE Seguros, and GNP Seguros have agreed to honor the $ 300,000 Death Liability Limit on all currently in force policies until expiration. So you do not have to do anything if you purchased your existing policy on or before February 4, 2013 and it is still in force. Regardless of the current limit on their declarations page, the insurers listed above will honor the $ 300,000 Death Liability limit until the expiration of any in force policies purchased on or before February 4, 2013.

What limits do you suggest we choose when purchasing future new or renewal policies for Mexico?
    We suggest that you now use the same level of care regarding Mexico Liability limits that you would use when purchasing a US or Canadian auto liability policy. The radical change to Mexico Liability law means that claims for Death Liability in Mexico will now be similar to the damages that are often imposed by courts in the US and Canada in similar cases.

If you have any questions about this new law please feel free to contact us today at 888-467-4639. We cannot stress enough the importance of understanding these new liability limits and the need for higher limits when purchasing Mexico Auto Insurance in the future.

Please keep in mind that not only do we offer insurance for Mexico Auto, Homes, and Watercraft, but you can also request a quote for International Travel/Medical Insurance, Vacant, Seasonal, Vacation and Rental Dwelling insurance, Manufactured Home insurance, and RV Insurance from our parent company, www.iigins.com. Coverage for these programs is available in most states. Visit www.iigins.com and get a quote today!

Sincerely,

The Mexico Insurance Professionals
    www.Mexpro.com
    www.iigins.com

QUICK LINKS

Get a Mexico Auto Quote Now!

Get a Mexico Homeowners
    Insurance Quote

Mexico Travel News

More About Us

Mexpro.com Blog

Quick Reference for
    Driving to Mexico

New Vehicle Import Permit Requirements

Tips for Being Sure you Follow the New Import Rules

Tips for Traveling in Mexico’s Free Zone

Mexico Travel Tips

Driving Distances (to Popular Mexico Destinations)

U.S./Mexico Border Crossings

Mexico Border Crossing Wait Times

Tips for Faster Border Crossing

Mexico Entry & Exit Requirements

Alcohol Laws in Mexico

Gas Prices in Mexico (LOW!)

Dollars to Peso Conversion

Mexpro.com on Facebook

Mexpro.com on Twitter
    Mexico Insurance February 2013 Announcement

Other Insurance Products from Mexpro.com
    Did you know that Mexpro.com’s parent company, International Insurance Group at www.iigins.com, is a leading provider of USA Specialty Insurance for Vacant and Rental Homes and Dwellings, RVs and Travel Trailers, Manufactured Homes, Motorcycle and Watercraft Insurance? Look for an upgrade in coverage and for lower prices from a company who specialize in these products-www.iigins.com!
    Mexpro.com’s Blog
    Check out the Mexpro.com blog. We are constantly adding new information to keep you up to date!

Join us at blog.Mexpro.com
    Mexpro.com is not only dedicated to providing you with competitive prices, but also to providing you quality coverage from A-Rated insurers.
    Call us now at: 888-467-4639!

Get a Quote Now!
  4. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Looks good, Jick. Should make some folks sleep better.
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Morning coffee with Sugey Abrego

[​IMG]
  6. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    And how many of us are thinking about skipping the coffee part?
    It's Pinochhio time, if you don't tell the truth! LOL!!
  7. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    two lumps please...with cream :evil
  8. airdale7

Oddometer:
  9. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Tickets are $109, all fees included,..."

I take it they are not expecting a large turnout of KLR riders...
  10. lewi

lewi dreamer

Oddometer:
    After a while I loved the topes, cars and trucks qeueing for them and you can pass all that quite safely! And then I tried to do hops and jumps. I know it's not that responsible (because of the vendors selling all kind of stuff), but nevertheless fun to do. For that fact, I miss them insane topes here in Belgium, practising jumps/
    :p
  11. airdale7

Oddometer:

Hey, just because I ride a KLR doesn't mean im..., well, maybe your right! :lol3
  12. McFoil

McFoil Filthy Pig

Oddometer:
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, after two decades of living here and riding here, you are only the second person that I have heard of that says they miss topes.

Not much of a trend happening.

Topes are a daily pain in the ass, period. They cost you time, money, and parts. Constant acceleration and deceleration and the related wear and tear on brakes and clutches, steering bearings, and damage from unmarked, square edge ones gets real old, real fast. They are a hazard in the rain, they accumulate all kinds of road debris at their bases, and the only good thing about them is that yes, you can pass a line of trucks or cars from time to time.

Miss them? I could give a rat's ass if they suddenly all disappeared, tomorrow.

A la chingada con los topes. Punto.

Using a tope to practice "jumps" is probably not the best use of anyone's time. You couldn't find any other road features to use to practice "jumps"? It's Mexico. Get on any brecha and I guarantee you'll find plenty of practice for "jumps" within a few hundred meters. I know a really good jump that is located between Plan de las Hayas and Alto Lucero, I think Arte and Andres can vouch for that one. LOL! You can be the Benelux version of Evel Kinevel all day (or night, right Arte?) long on that one.
  14. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sitting on the beach in Zipolite right now having breakfast and coffee. ;)
  15. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Without pics you could be in New Jersey :deal
  16. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Topes. Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt or you have to fix something. There's fun topes (maybe 2 or 3), and then everyone's got a story about "Oh shit, where did that come from"

I'd hate to live with the #$*@ things down my street and every street and every state highway everyday. bleck.

So much fun too taking a clapped out Tsuru taxi around the streets of anywhere, Mexico, and getting a free spinal readjustment every 100 feet, no matter how careful the driver is. :bluduh

Bet the cwiopracters keep busy in Mexico.

But, every guy has to love the bewbies topes sign. How can you not?
  17. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

Well, I don't want to see anymore pics of Pinocchio.

I find those shorts.....disturbing.
  18. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tetsuo ; You got that right topes are the passing lane :rofl where in Belgium are you ? lived in WAVRE when i was a Hippie back in the 70's:evil

Here are pics of the Move went through Del Rio came back though EAGLE PASS last night military check points all
    AT EASE they didn't even ask to open the trailer 80 bucks tax on the used mac and the tv
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. kennyanc

kennyanc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stops
    We rode down that way on the 23rd of last month 2up. Lots of federales around the pemex in San Fernando. Gassed up, had a couple gorditas from a cooler and headed on to Victoria. Spent half an hour cruising around town and headed on south to Xilitla. No gunfire, bribes, nor anthing else out of the ordinary. Did get a straight razor held to my neck in Xilitla and it was a close shave. ..., in fact, it turned out to be one of the best shave/haircuts I have ever had.
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Funny that you should say that because I got a haircut in Nuevo Laredo and about the time the young barber was working that straight razor around my neck he started to ask me if I had found religion. My initial reaction was that was pretty lousy timing ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD