Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

Kegger - Half dozen free kegs from Great Lakes Brewing

Boxing, I'll watch

Hunting, Use primitive weapons to make it more fair. I recently saw a big game hunter on TV who required a whole crew of people to take down an wildebeest or something and when it charged him wounded, he pretty much pissed his pants. After it retreated, he was breathing too hard to take the 2nd shot so someone else had to do it for him.

Drag racing, he with the most cash wins

Hope to see you Monday
  2. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think I can find that if it's on the main drag. :D
  3. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    It's the only drag.

I think Mer and I will try and be there. I need to comp off a few hours and haven't been able to confirm if I can or not yet.
  4. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have to work my usual 12 hours or I would stop and see you guys. :cry

On a positive note I am headed to IP today to outfit the wife with better riding gear. She has started to like riding so much that she even asked for IP gift cards for Christmas. :D
  5. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I'm reminded of The Simpsons episode where Homer gets Marge a bowling ball with his mane on it for Christmas.

Byron, Meredith will be there, so tell / bring yo' lady.

Edit, with his name on it...
  6. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brad Pitt played on the Simpsons? :D

Actually I am going to have "White Bitch" embroidered on her riding jacket.
  7. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    What are they gonna do, fire you?
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Hardeeharhar
  9. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Soooo, the scooter experiment recently came to a close with a full refund via the Ohio Lemon Law. Dealer had the scoot for a month before they even tore it apart for inspection. It's a shame they didn't hustle and get me back on the road, although I would have forever had mixed feelings on reliability. I was really digging it and had put 986 miles on it in 28 days. It broke down September 14th on the way home from a tag. I had decided on a scooter partly because I live in town. It was working out perfect for little errands and occasional hour long Fredericksburg, Overton or Shreve swamp loop rides.

I've been looking exhaustively at CL, E Bay and Dealers for a DS instead of another scooter. Not a woods rider at my age because of physical/medical (and probable mental) :D issues. All Seasons has a new CRF250L that is tempting me. Used XT250, XT225 and KLX250 are interesting me. The more I look at DRZ400S, thinking it may be my ticket. Same approximate weight as the new CRF with more power. Found a used 01 for $2300 in Canal Fulton on CL. A used bike in the $1.5-2.5k range would be more practical for me. WR 's seem to be priced quite a bit more although I noticed Alan just found a good deal for one. Definitely not looking at KLR650 or DR650. Recommendations from the local inmates here ?
  10. bikeneil

bikeneil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't say about the other bikes you are looking at but I would recommend an XT250. I get 70-75 mpg and it's a fun bike to ride, hardly any maintenance, & add an Action Packer for hauling stuff for your errands :rofl
    Here is one in Florida but I would think you could find one locally.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851694
  11. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Any of the Jap 250s (or the DRZ) would be decent.

I think the real choice comes down to riding style and cost. If you are going to be on nothing rougher than gravel, weight isn't a big factor. Any differences in suspension will likely be a non issue too. I think you should choose based on comfort, engine power, and cost.

I have been a bit of an enduro bike whore and have owned a lot of them, some multiple times. Having owned 1 DRZ, 2 KLX250s, 2 WRRs, and 1 KLR250 (never had a XT250 nor a CRF250 - though I had a plated CRF230 but I don't think that counts), and currently owning a WRR, my list from top to bottom would be:

WRR
    DRZ
    Honda CRF250L
    KLX250S
    XT250
    XT225

The WRR is truthfully the best of the bunch and would be my pick, as it does everything well. Rallycarjon and I did a 2 day street trip to PA and back a few months ago and the WRR was perfect on every surface, was comfortable, and carried everything I needed. It also has the best suspension, brakes, and build quality of the "cheaper" enduros. It's FI, which I used to think was an issue but really it isn't. The aftermarket has caught up with it so there's tons of stuff available. Known issues are few and far between, and even then mainly on 2008 models. It's engine power blows away other 250s and really rivals the DRZ400. I tried the others and came back to a WRR to stay.

DRZ is good, old tech, but solid and reliable. The only real downsides I can come up with on the DRZ are the 5 speed tranny and the oil in frame, which is annoying to change. For higher speed riding the 5 speed is buzzy and feels geared too low. The seat is pretty awful, too, come to think of it. On the upside there's tons of aftermarket parts for it. Issues are the cam chain tensioner and paper thin engine cases. Don't drop it on a pointy rock.

Honda, I have not ridden, but it looks and feels solid and has been getting good reviews. The price point is fucking incredible.

KLX250 is a bit more shoddy than the others in the QC department but still decent. It's fun and does great on backroads and off road jaunts but is wheezy and underpowered for 55+. It sounds and feels like a toy. You rev the throttle and it's like there's no response. Suspension is good, brakes are good. If I had one of these I really think I'd have to go with a 331 kit to make it on par with the WRR stock.

XT250 and 225 I have never owned, though Meredith was looking at a 225 for a while so I did some research and took some test rides. They are definetely old tech but are typical Yamaha quality, and solid. I think they give up a bit of the off road "prowess" (if you can call it that) that the WRR, DRZ, even KLX offer. They are more gravel roads bikes or econ / gas savers.

If you can find a WRR in your price range that would be my first recommendation. I think you'd be very pleased with it. I do think any of the above would be fun and definetely a better choice than a scooter for backroad and trail exploring.
  12. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

You'll get more tags on a scooter than a drz!!:rofl:rofl

BTW, you coming to lunch tomorrow?
  13. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    Steph's exact quote: "I'll think about it."

I'll keep working her.
  14. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    To those attending the New Year's Eve lunch tomorrow .... I'll have the following with me .... first inmate waving $75 (obo) in my face gets 'em. They are take-offs from my CRF250L recently purchased. They had about 300 miles on 'em when removed.

Fr: IRC Trails GP-21F 3.00-21
    Rr: IRC Trails GP-22R 120/80 - 18

[​IMG]
  15. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

a 21 inch rear? surely thats a typo...?
  16. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are you carrying those on the 250? :lol3 I am considering riding up, but it could be about 20 when I would need to leave. We'll see.
  17. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds like the X I bought for Kyle would have been perfect for you. You can test ride it and my WR this spring if you want to compare the two. For being the same bike they sure dont handle the same.

Looks like I am out for lunch tmw. My wife has to work (no babysitter) and I have therapy at 1:30.
  18. 'Flagger

Oddometer:
    oops ... fixing original now
  19. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Thanks Meef, I value your thorough feedback. The new Honda does seem like a great deal. I've been following the CRF250L owners thread and see they're coming up with a lot of new aftermarket stuff. I keep leaning towards a DRZ maybe because I seem to see more of them reasonably priced (cheap?). The 01 I seen on CL appears to have a big tank, newer tires and less than 6k miles.

I got a few tags on the scooter before it blew up. Eventually I'll probvably come across a used chinese or preferably Helix /Reflex that I won't be able to pass up. I've got plans tomorrow so no ADV lunch for me.

Thanks Alan, I may take you up on it if I don't find a winter priced bargain basement deal I can't pass up. I have looked at SM versions of the DRZ and WRR and would consider one of those as well.

Somehow I lost bikeneil's quote, we had exchanged messages after I contacted you asking how you liked your XT. I dig the packer and would definitely consider copying that on whatever I buy... seriously. Somehow I have it in my mind that liquid cooled = better longevity than an air cooled bike.

It may just come down to what I think is the best value price wise and what pops up. WRR seems to be priced a little high and rightfully so for bike/$ value. DRZ and XT are are strong possibilities. There is something nostalgic about the XT's that sort of remind me of the old Honda SL and it seems to be a bit tamer than a WRR or DRZ and that is acceptable to me.
  20. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most likely out for lunch....have a vehicle issue I need to deal with today :puke1