DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really really really nice bike so smick can I ask where you got the bash plate sump protector and rider footpegs from they are very smick indeed .
  2. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Who makes the longer windscreen shown in the last few photos?

Would you NZ guys please elaborate on the term "metal road". I think I know what it means but I keep picturing you guys riding on a bunch of curly, lathe turnings.

Ray
    Davis, CA
  3. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
  4. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    That guy looks quite tall.

Now I'm worried I won't be able to get on the bike :eek1
  5. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    luggage question:

Gaspipe has alu panniers on his 750, and MegaMoto has a full luggage set-up.

Any tips on pannier frames, bags, etc?
  6. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
    I know Hessler (how often has that name come up in this thread ?) make /supply tall screens.

Metal road = A grevel road, I think its called shingle in the states

here's one
    [​IMG][/IMG]

some are more dirt than gravel, depends if a grader has been through
  7. miszterember

miszterember Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Okta.

It's a fine pic:)
    What is on you hip???
    A firefighter hipbag?
    ..othetside Welcome the Ténéré club Hungary The UK DR-BIG riders!!!
    :)
    Stefan from HTC.
  8. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I AM NEW TO THUMPERS SO DO NOT KNOW A LOT ABOUT THEM .HERE ARE SOME STUPID QUESTIONS
    1 ) STARTING PROCEDURE- this is what i did ,it did not work. turned gas on, pulled choke lever, pulled in clutch and decomp lever and held them both down while holding the starter button. did this many times always holding the clutch and decomp levers in. the starter turns and if feels like it is strong so i think the battery is good. the sarter spun but the motor never seemed to catch. any input.??? i tried pulling the decomp lever in and letting go .as soon as i hit the starter button it would click and then the starter would not turn 'till i decompressed again so i just held it down for a few seconds and tried it several times but no success.

2) I WOULD LIKE THE TALLEST SCREEN AVAILABLE ,SO WHICH MANUFACTURER MAKES THE BIGGEST?? also i have a 1988 750 can i use a later model dr800 screen??? let's say from a 91 or 92 model??

sorry if these sound stupid

thanks

north rider
  9. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check my photos about Norway somewhere in this tread :) I am shortarse and have no problem (I am 171-172 cm and not specifically long legs).

On luggage - I just bought cheap 5start racks and cheap old Givi panniers and have no problem. BUT being pain in the ar...e I naturally am :lol3 of course I re-welded them for strenght, made front mount more reliable and made new rear "link" between left and right to go around my custom exhaust setup.
    Pictures in this tread....on Norway trip...
  10. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You going to hate me now...but :) Is fuel petcock in ON or Reserve position? Did you check plugs?
    I mean - check all usual stuff and do not forget that if bike stood for a while most probably petrol in carbs evaporated and until you pump in enough fuel into float chambers it will not start....

Screen from 800 will not fit 750 as far as I know....at least not without mods.
  12. Chanterman

Chanterman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nORTH rIDER

deCOMP LEVER IN AND PRESS STARTER BUTTON.
    After a few revs let the lever go whilst starter button still pressed . If battery in good shape with petrol and spark in chamber it will fire .Don`t rev it to death as engine will be cold but just coax it along

Join the clutch safety start wires as I don`t think you need them really aand you have enough to do for starting
  13. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi NORTH RIDER!
    I) The starting procedure is next:
    1. Pull deco and release it again, it stays engaged
    2. Pull down clutch.
    3. Do NOT touch the throttle (the starter won't be able to turn over the compression stroke if you open the throttle. Same thing, if you try to pushstart)
    4. push starter button
    5. release the starter button if the engine is running, NOW you can open the throttle a little bit to get the engine running smoothly.

! depending on your bikes setup and the weather you sometimes need to use choke. Pulling the choke ON has the same problem as opening throttle - its harder to turn the engine that way, ESPECIALLY if you are just a little bit low on battery (or your trying to push the bike on wet tarmac)

SO what I do, when I need to use choke, is that I begin starting with choke OFF, then I release the deco and THEN I pull the choke ON for a second and then push it back OFF again - usually thats when the engine starts - so I open the throttle just a little bit and then pull the Choke ON again - now the engine gets the rich mixture suitable for a cold engine and starts to warm up ofcourse.

The last section is my and mine invention only - others can argue that. And this is usually needed if the battery isn't at top. And actually I usually don't need choke at all.

Another thing that I'd like to point out is that: in order to have the DR start fine it's good to have the IDLE SCREW adjusted just right and that can be done best with the engine running. If you set the idle to 2000 RPM for example, then it's hard to start the engine with low battery. I think that 1500 RPM should be OK to start the engine easily. And the right mixture setting (screws under the carbies) is important too for starting.

If you'd like to pushstart your bike, the steps are next:
    1. DON'T use choke or throttle
    2. switch to second gear
    3. pull clutch and deco
    4. start to push
    5. release the clutch
    6. release the deco
    7. when the engine starts, pull clutch in again.

Good luck getting used to it!!!
    The toomuchtalking Morse
  14. Okta

Okta rooky

Oddometer:
    Hey, International Big Forum!

1. I'm not gonna advise you about the starting procedure, I guess it's already done.:D Weak battery could be the weak point, I'm just about to buy a new one. (Yuasa)
    2. Hi Steve, nice to looking in here. (He is the 'engine' of the Hungarian Tenere Club http://www.tenere.hu )
    3. Windscreen of DR800 does not fit on DR750. The tallest for 750 is avalaible by Five Stars and by Givi, if I remember correct. Try to get one from e-bay, EUR80-100 is a usual price. Btw I'm not sure, that the tallest windscreen is always the best, you have to carefull about the streams behind it. E.g. I had a Five Stars touring screen on my first DR750 and it was OK for my chest (less push on it) but my helmet became more noisy. Also you can try these attached small screen (like vario-screen).
    4. I'm 175cm but seat height is OK, I mean I can live with that. Once I can jump on it I feel like the Ruler of the Word...:queenie
    5. I was thinking about s/m wheels few years ago but I realised that I can lean the bike with quality rubbers good enough for public roads, so I will keep my 21" (I'd rather upgrade the front brakes...my idea is to use KLE500 front forks with wheels and brake.)
  15. ppe172

ppe172 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in with my two cents. I pretty much agree with what Jack Rabbit said, and disagree with a couple of other suggestions. This is how I start mine.

1: Turn on gas.

2: Pull choke out all the way (I don't see why this would make it harder to turn over, it's not like opening the throttle where you get more air volume and hence more compression, it just opens a passage to allow more fuel) and if it's cold it isn't going to start without the choke.

3: Pull in decompression lever and immediately let go. You don't need to hold it open, and I wouldn't think that holding it open would be good for it for a couple of reasons. (IMHO).

4: Pull in clutch.

5: Push starter.

How much gas is in it? It has a vacuum fuel pump and if the gas is low and the pump isn't working well maybe you're not getting any/enough fuel.
  16. Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MODERN MOTORCYCLING LTD.
    2816 COMERCIAL DRIVE
    VANCOUVER,BC,
    V5N 4C6
    PHONE {604} 876-0182
    {604} 876-8131

FAX {604} 876-3676
  17. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahm....you sure anout KLE500 forks? They are horrible and soft like spaghetti and brakes are one of worst dualsport brakes I ever tried.
    If you meant KLX650 then forks are OK, but brakes just offroad brakes.
    If you want to upgrade DR750 forks easiest way to install KLX upside-downs. As for brakes - as you saw in tread I went through few upgrades, and only stock 4-piston caliper that will clear spokes on DR wheel really is Gilera Nordwest RC600 Grimeca caliper. Otherwise - as you saw I bought uber-powerful supermoto Braking 4 piston caliper and for stock or other DR forks it's perfect - just need adapter, but since it did not fit my WP Extremes well I put it up on sale and ordered Beringer 4-piston supermoto caliper and can confirm that Beringer as well fit DR forks with simple adapter. BTW you can fit easily Africa Twin forks and brakes. You will need AT front wheel, forks, brakes and tripple tree from DR800 SR43.
    Of course you may as well just put in SR43 stock front - 43 mm forks, simple rod forks but for some reason I was totally happy with their performance (except hard braking with luggage and passenger on German autbahns, I can feel them twisting).
    So - do not go KLE if you want it better and not worse :)
  18. Megamoto

Megamoto Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer:
    You know...I think I've been here before.
  19. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    We just looked at brace problem together with few grease monkeys friends :)
    After analysis and building Autocad model of it we came to conclusion that very few aftermarket braces really do it well. But...if choice is down to aftermarket.
    One brace that looks OK it Stefan Hessler brace.
    Also one of guys in our "team" got his DR650 (last model line) with brace and it does look remarkably good, but we failed to find who and where made it. It certainly not self made.
    Conclusion is: only aftermarket brace we could find specifically for DR is Hessler's item.
    Only potential candidate from other bike - DR650 brace (same 43 forks) but we need to check distance between fork legs, it might be different. Working on it.
    Also may be Africa Twin aftermarket brace would fit, but I do not have now access ot AT to measure distance between fork pipes.
  20. Letsgo21

Letsgo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isnt it an option to copy nave's work and look for crf450 forks and brakes? :-)
    I just bumped in to a fork set from a 07 crf on ebay.