Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I took about a 2 hour ride yesterday. Both mods felt pretty good. The risers seem to give a better feeling of control to the steering, though I still feel like I'm "reaching" a bit. I will probably rotate the bars back a bit as I think I have them rotated a notch or two too far forward when I re-mounted them. The Bonnie seat is really nice, it's noticeably lower and makes it easier to mount and dismount. IMO it also looks better than the "ironing board" that comes with the Scram.

Of course, the problems I was having (neck/back pain) only cropped up on long rides so until I can take a 5 - 6 hour ride I won't know how it works on those issues.
  2. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder Tiger Cub

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I guess the answer is 'yes, there is a CA-only bike'. :(

I know the bike is 100% stock, and the local DMV office is pretty - well - rural. I think I may just take my chances. Worst case is I have to add the canister and hoses.

- Foothill Ryder
    BIR # 47, AMA # 289558
    '08 Scrambler <<arriving ~10/30!>>
    '97 Triumph Trophy 3,'73 Triumph T120V,'64 BMW R50/2
  3. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    JoMo had some issues.
    I had parts ordered and they had to cancel out my order.
    Legal issues (a handshake/verbal agreement is not the same as a contract!) using the Johnson name and maybe production issues on parts they intended to produce.

If they are up and running I would be glad to hear so...
  4. Forty Years Ago

Forty Years Ago I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer:
    In California, if you are registering a used vehicle ( I believe used is defined as 3000 miles) you are good to go with a 49 state model and are not required to retrofit CA only emissions equipment.
  5. panthercity

panthercity Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer:
    From http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
  6. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Scrambler hasn't needed this repair (yet) so I only have "other related" experience to draw upon. In that experience I tend to find that as you suggested 'once it leaks' it will likely continue to despite re-torquing the fasteners. I'd look carefully at the mating surfaces when you replace the gasket, might consider a sealant such as Hylomar when assembling and would look carefully at those seals that you just replaced because while they may not have any time on them, they are not "new" anymore, having been installed and compressed. In all probability it is not necessary to do all these things to have an oil tight engine again but I tend to be a 'belt and suspenders' kind of guy, I hate to do things over! YMMV.

Bruce
  7. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted another rack like the ventura with the single seat. Does it sit behind the inbuilt rack on the seat? I was wondering about this as I know the seat rack isnt strong enough to hold a full top box so was thinking that you could put a top box on the other rack and have the seat rack for a tent or esky.
  8. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Ordered the gasket and 4 more seals late this afternoon. In stock at Baxter. I'll definitely make sure the mating surfaces are good, and use Hylomar or comparable. My guess - the original bolt seals eventually flattened out enough to permit the leak.
  9. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also how much weight have people been putting on an unmodified (supported) seat rack.
  10. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder Tiger Cub

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the inputs, I should be good to go. :D

- Foothill Ryder
    BIR # 47, AMA # 289558
    '08 Scrambler <<arriving ~10/30!>>
    '97 Triumph Trophy 3,'73 Triumph T120V,'64 BMW R50/2
  11. littlelionmonster

littlelionmonster Custom Faker

Oddometer:
    I'm having the same issue on my 06. I read on ratnet where guys have changed the gasket and still had issues. Before buying all new seals I tried a coating of RTV on the mating surface, reassembled and retorted everything. I haven't been able to get out and test it, but it was worth a shot.

Sounds like the bolt seals compress over time and don't keep the cover properly sealed.
  12. NoPoChicken

NoPoChicken LCRC

Oddometer:
    I was on the list to get a pair on the first round, and was told they would be ready last spring. Haven't heard a thing in months. Received this in an e-mail in April:

We are working very hard to have the Triumph Scrambler Pivot Pegz available as soon as possible however at this stage we won’t be able to have them shipped to the US before May because we are trying to finalise an alternate design. The reason for the delay is that we are trying to develop Pivot Pegz for the Triumph Scrambler that are 15mm longer than our standard Pivot Pegz. It sounds simple but unfortunately it isn’t and the design is proving troublesome and this is causing the delay.

I just want to let you know that we do have Scrambler Pivot Pegz available but they will not be the 15mm longer version. We have supplied these in the past to some other customers who have been fine with them but there have also been some other customers that would prefer to have an extra 15mm in length. (Protrude 15mm further from the frame).

If you are happy to have the standard size Pivot Pegz then we can ship them to you next week. Otherwise if you want the 15mm longer Pivot Pegz then unfortunately you will have to wait.

I chose to stay on the backorder list because I think that the extra legth would be awesome. I sent an e-mail on the 18th of October looking for an update and have not yet received a reply.
  13. ColoradoKevin

ColoradoKevin Colorado Scrambler

Oddometer:
    The cam cover gasket was leaking oil on my '08 Scrambler. The repair was covered under warranty and fixed by my dealer. After several thousand miles, I've not had any further issues with it.
  14. Island_Moose

Island_Moose Adventurer

Oddometer:

The design is proving "troublesome"? Given that we are talking about an extension of a mere 15mm, I would assume the issue is that the additional length (and resulting lever arm) caused the prototypes to snap off?

I would love someone to develop pegs that are about 20mm further back and 10mm higher.
  15. Firedawg450

Firedawg450 Why did I wait??

Oddometer:
    Becsta, the Ventura rack fits behind the single seat rack, so the set-up you describe works fine. I've lashed 45lbs to the single seat rack and used the Ventura for everything else. I've heard that the rack mounting points are prone to cracking when overloaded, but I never had issues. I think it depends on the kind of riding you do. I babied things when I knew the rack was overloaded.

16. ivara

ivara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    he can make other lenghts too..:
    http://spacerjim.com/Custom.htm
  17. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    I'm sure he can, but a warning: The cables and wires are tight with the 1" spacers. Any more and you may have problems.
  18. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    In this photo you can see the "J" rails for the rack which goes into them and extends backwards.....
    [​IMG]

Some people have had issues with weight on the single seat rack. A simple solution is to remove the rack and use the shelf as the weight bearing surface....
    [​IMG]

I load all sorts of stuff on top of that tail bag and it carries it fine. Looks like this when loaded....
    [​IMG]
  19. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Having gone to Spain for a few days trail riding on our Triumph Scramblers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, we had to ride up that.....:eek1 That day wore us out. At one stage we thought we were in the shit and would have to make camp over night.
    The scenery was stunning....
    [​IMG]

So, we were now stuck in Figueres, north east Spain, by the French fuel blockade. We had a ferry booked from Cherbourg but it was too far with fuel the supply being dodgy. So, we hatched a plan, in the bar, to buy fuel canisters to carry an extra 30 litres of petrol each and head to Geneva, 400 miles away, where we could refill and continue up to Luxembourg for another refill and then onwards to Calais for a ferry to Dover.
    We set off from our hotel in Figueres on a chilly Wednesday morning
    [​IMG]

on the Autoroutes at a steady 60mph to conserve fuel. After about 100 miles we saw a petrol station open for business so we topped off our tanks and were able to up the cruising speed to around 75mph which got us to Annecy for an overnight stop.
    The next morning was really frosty and we got moving at 09:30 and rode into Geneva with 10 litres of fuel to spare thanks to the top up on the Autoroute. After filling everything we had and taking the obligatory photo at the famous fountain
    [​IMG]

we headed north over the &#8220;Col de la Faucille&#8221; @ 1323 metres, which had a covering of snow.
    [​IMG]

The ride on the north side, down from the peak was treacherous with icy patches but the views with the frost in the trees were stunning.
    Because of the conditions, we abandoned plans to ride the &#8220;Route de Cretes&#8221; in the east of France and diverted toward Dole and then north towards Luxembourg along some lovely &#8220;D&#8221; roads. We got as far as Chaumont before we were frozen so we found a hotel there.
    Another frosty morning made us slow to start off but we got going around 09:30 after bump starting my bike because the heated grips and heated jacket liner has drained the battery too far. We continued to Luxembourg on very pretty back roads. Refilling everything there, we set off for Chimay for an hotel and some beer but couldn&#8217;t find one single hotel in the town. This is a town with an Abbey brewery and a race circuit with no hotels??!! Surely a missed opportunity. So the Garmin Zumo came in handy and routed us to an Ibis in Maubeuge for our final night in this saga.
    Next morning was more of the frosty same but with rain forecast. Our route took us through Cambrai, Arras, Frevent, Hesdin, Desvres, and Guines to Calais where we were robbed of &#8364;62 for a one way ferry crossing. Dave and I went our separate ways off the M20. Job done.
    Message to the French :- We don&#8217;t need or want your petrol! Get back to work you lazy B#*@^"ds.

LINKS TO VIDEO:-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1x4z__vmHc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IkOPZ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4FANLPc1GkE3cAE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrihHN22oVQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPwgGNt3pI0
  20. becsta

becsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies and thanks blacktiger for the pics.