New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. klantbo

klantbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oops thats 2200sek @ 220euro ;-)

No idea how to quote on taptalk btw...
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    That's more like it!

I figured it might be a full system, race stuff, but still would be WAAAY
    over the top at €2200.
    :lol3
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I haven't seen one at a dealer since summer or I'd probably buy one.
  4. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take the fact that they were displaying them at the international bike show in Long Beach as evidence that they intend to keep selling them.
  5. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It can be done but it may not be worth the trouble. Waiting to see.
  6. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some forums seem to be indicating that the new NC700X is selling good. I hope to see 2013, 2014, and beyond models here in the USA.
  7. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    A friend and I rode over to Alabama Saturday for the Last Ride Of The Year RTE in Stockton, AL. We left late in the day and had to make 400 miles in the teeth of a stiff headwind leaving no route choice but the interstate. I led and held 80 gps mph on I-10. 81 mph on the stock speed-o-meter. I only checked the first tank of gas and the mileage was 47 mpg which is the worst I ever recorded. With the headwind we were pushing 95 to 100 mph of air aside though. My friend's Tiger 1050 managed 38 for the same tank/distance. The ride home yesterday on the combo of 280 miles on little county FM roads and 175 miles on I-10 was much more enjoyable although much colder, 28 F in the morning and 35 F when I got home.

http://www.thelastrideoftheyear.com/
  8. treybrad

treybrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple bad tanks recently, I'm wondering if the NC isn't especially sensitive to temperature for some reason. My last two tanks were 53.4 and 56.7 MPG -- 70-75 MPH, mid 30's temps, and ~10mph cross wind. I've had rides in similar conditions and managed closer to 60 MPG when the temps are warmer.

I also just mounted a big CalSci screen, I suppose it's possible that's hurting MPG more than I expected... I figured just about anything would be more aerodynamic than my shoulders....

[​IMG]

trey
  9. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    You don't really think that barn door is going to affect it do you?
  10. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    While you get some slight lowering of the coefficient of drag with a screen, the increase in frontal area, especially with a huge screen like this, totally overwhelms the tiny change in efficiency. I bet drag goes up 30%+.

If you want to decrease drag, you've got to get the screen way, way back such that the rider becomes part of the fairing.

- Mark
  11. Fidl2n

Fidl2n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just above the comment of the quote you want, in the grey space, touch the screen there and it will go yellow and give you options, one of which is "quote."

Holy cr@p, that is a monster windscreen, treybrad!

Blah, blah, blah, Tapatalk.
  12. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love mine, Big difference in winter riding.
  13. caryder

caryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The most recent Cycle World (Feb 2013) talks about the 2013 models. New CB500X with similar styling is complimenting the NC700X. Since NC stands for "new concept" it's conceivable that the NC could change to CB when it's not a new concept anymore. The CB500X engine looks "normal" and is supposed to be $1K less.

Chuck
  14. caryder

caryder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my first 3 gallons of fuel I averaged 64.74 MPG with varied in town and expressway traffic. My Buell XB12X would get ~45 to 48 MPG with the same mix.

Chuck
  15. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ridden how for those 3 gallons, if you don't mind my asking? It will also go up as the bike breaks in, as a rule. I get 57'ish out of my Versys in regular riding. MPG's are important for this bike choice. Thanks.
  16. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    That's what I figured too, but after installing a windscreen as big as yours
    on my scooter, I lost 5-6mph off the top speed, and a few MPG too.
  17. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Or slow down. The faster you go, the more that screen hurts your mpg.
  18. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    Is Cycle-Ergo correct on the legroom? I was surprised to see a sub-70 degree knee angle for my 6'2" height. That's essentially the same as my VFR - a bike with fairly tight quarters - but the NC has a taller seat height....

Why so high on the pegs? Width of the engine make it necessary for cornering clearance?
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Every bike I've ever owned, used or new had the best mpg's within the first 4 or 5 tanks as I was getting used to the bike, never fails that once I'm comfortable the mpg's go to hell...as a rule.

Nice to hear some honesty on the mpg numbers, 47 mpg is still respectable. I'm struggling to get 50 mpg out of the little CBR250R right now. Maybe I'll just skip the 700X and go full gas guzzler with the Goldwing Bagster. :wink:
  20. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    6'3" 34" inseam gets 77 degree knee bend...........to get sub 70 my inseam would need to 38" ??????

I did not use cycle ego in deciding any purchase of any of my bikes:evil