Owners Chat (with pics!): Honda NC700X

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by swiss-happy, Aug 9, 2012.

1. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I think ( hope ) the K60 will make it,but if the TKC's wear out we will replace them in Fairbanks on the way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Doctor Zed

Doctor Zed Resident

Oddometer:
    My TKC showed up today:clap
    I think the Scout should be here tomorrow.
  3. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Deadhorse is what I wanted to hear so I could know more or less the road types.
  4. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trip is chock full of metal grated bridges. I talked with a couple of guys running DOT knobbies (Dunlop 606's I think) who had blocks of tread actually pulled off the tires by the grating. One guy I talked to actually lost it on one of them. Maybe the TKC knobs are too big to get caught in the grating. The K60 ought to do fine.

Take them carefully - keep some power on, avoid direction changes if possible, tight hands and loose arms and let it move around a little.
  5. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    FINALLY had the chance to go and sit on one..... very nice. Very comfortable as expected for sure. They look smaller in person but that might be because they were sitting next to all the new GS'es

Cant wait to ride one!
  6. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I have to cross a metal bridge everyday on my commute,I haven't done it with these tires in rain yet though !!.

7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    If you buy one I hope the seat works out for ya,alot of us have it to not work so good !!.

8. turbodieseli4i6

turbodieseli4i6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

After my 200 mile ride, my after market seat was a a very good investment.
  9. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I'm TRYING to get my Seat Concepts seat dialed in!!.

10. rowdymoose

rowdymoose Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer:
    What issues are you having with it? I got my replacement foam in the mail just haven't gotten it installed yet. Would be curious to know if you have some suggestions for a good first installment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  11. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    It doesn't really fit me.It's a good quality seat but it's not a custom seat which is what I will end up getting someday.I have to make it work for a up comming 7,000 mile trip next week.I still think it's better than stock but not as good as a custom seat.I had a custom seat built for me on my Vstrom by Rick Mayer,he had to tweek it about 6 months after I started useing it ( for free ) and I could ride a tank of fuel ( about 250 miles ) before I even thought about the seat.

12. RonZacapa

RonZacapa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was posted up on WildDog a day or two ago, if I can get photobucket to work will post some pics too.

[​IMG]

Went to liberate my brand spanking new 700X today at Honda Pinetown at about 4 in the afternoon.
    Many thumbs up to Michael and Simone at the big H, you guys rock and thanks for a very decent deal icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
    I will definately be back for more when my 700X needs replacing after 150K km. This might be a while though......

The new bike had 2km on the clock when I first fired her up. Proves that the really hard working guys back in the workshop did
    their thing and drove the bike around the block to see that everything works the way it should. Just the way I like it coz If I had
    seen more mileage I would have been worried. All things good then so far. Michael was being the great sales guy he always is
    and I was soon on my way. Filled up with 95 unleaded around the corner for ZAR 90 coz thats all the cash I had left after paying
    for the bike so the tank was almost full. Easy warmup out of Pinetown and up Field Hill.

I proceded to Cato Ridge on the N3. All the cages in the way did not distract much from my enjoyment of the new ride. Varying
    the throttle and revs I gave it her maiden break-in ride in deciding to keep revs around 3000 - 4500rpm through the gears, at
    the same time not babying her so that the rings may get seated. Once off the N3 at Hammarsdale went the old road up to the
    Old Main Road junction and back through Monteseel and Drummond. Easy cruising all the way and giving it a bit of stick up to
    5000rpm through the gears for short bursts. The torque is great, the handling is pretty good on these crappy roads of ours
    and I can see myself going a long way with this bike.

After 58km I rolled in home. My 77 year old father was out to greet me and he reckons its a pretty cool bike. Must be good then!

to be continued......

[​IMG]

Went riding on the 700X today, the bike has got 538km on the clock now and crikey! am I impressed after today's ride. Loads of torque where you need it most and she cruises ever so nicely. The bike is solidly built and feels very stable on the road, the brakes are great and the FI fueling is spot on. She loves to go where she is pointed and is not unduly worried by bumps in the road. The standard suspension is pretty good then for a budget bike. Very flickable too as the light unsprung mass of 17 inch wheels and single disc/caliper dont have much hassles with what's thrown at them. Hardly any vibrations from the motor and very smooth throughout the rev range too.

Took the R56 to Richmond, Ixopo, Mzimkulu towards Kokstad and hit a left towards Port Shepstone on the N2, very nice stretch of road this and in a good state of repair for most of the way. The 700X is very different to my XR650L, but mostly in a good way if you are riding the bike for what it was designed for. Where the XR has the ability to get to 160+ on the GPS it was just not designed to be a big mileage a day roadmiles machine. Things get pretty uncomfortable on the XR at anything more than 120-130. Not so on the 700X, this bike was designed to be a big mileage eater it seems. Two things that will need attention though: the seat though comfortable for a good while will need some tweaking to make it an all day sofa, and the windshield while looking good out of the box does not offer the kind of wind protection and clean airflow around your helmet that is needed for comfortable all day riding. I'm gonna take the slow approach to sorting the windscreen and get hold of some Maizeys plastics whatever its called cheap stuff and try out some different shapes till it feels good and then only commit to buying the right screen that works for me.

Got to Shepstone and realized that some food and a good cup of coffee would be just the right thing. Dropped into Kwagga's Light meals and take aways. The delightfull waitress
    served up a jumbo burger and a cup of filter coffee. While the coffee was good the burger was clearly the best burger in many a year :thumleft: Highly recommended so if you are in the area stop and try them out. They are somewhere along the coastal road there by Shepstone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From there back home on the main slab and dropped in at my mate Paul's place who was keen to see the new bike. Another cup of coffee and a long chat and I was soon on my way again. All in all a fantastic day's ADV riding our sometimes crappy MX track type tar roads which could be better maintained if the fuel levy we all pay for was used for its intended purpose.

As for my new 700X - I am mightily impressed :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
  13. watrboy

watrboy Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Summertime
    I am breaking in a newbie to dirt road exploring. I had my NC and he road my 650L. He has the grin down pretty good.

We road out to the Elk Basin XC race.

[​IMG]

Had Lunch in town.

[​IMG]

The TKC's really add to the enjoyment on the dirt.

Did about 80 miles dirt road and some sandy section, 40 on the pavement.

A good day.
  14. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    We did our first high speed gravel with the TKC/K60 combo's on the Alaska Highway today.Speeds upto 100kph and tires were AWSOME !!.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone can shed some light toward my corner regarding low seat height on the NC?

My brother wants to get a new bike but he is vertically challenged and needs a bike with a seat that is lower than 31"-I mean it!, do these NC comes with low seat or can you buy a low seat to replace the stock?

Quite frustrating shopping experience.

Thanks
  16. Maytag Repairman

Maytag Repairman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about a low seat. There is at least one company out there that makes lowering links for this bike but I haven't heard anybody's experience on them yet.

I wear pants with a 29" inseam and do ok though usually I am only putting my foot down on one side at a time.

Has your brother considered a CTX700?
  17. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has your brother considered a CTX700?[/QUOTE]

NO NO NO, is that the one with a funky look and sticking forward footpegs like HD's. In our opinion it is pretty UGLY.

Just talked to someone about custom made seat and the idea is in being digested.
  18. Kensho

Kensho Riding

Oddometer:
    Going over to bank today after work to try to finalize financing for my new NC700X. The waiting sucks.
  19. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best wishes! :D

I :heart: my NCX :freaky
  20. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    2,500 miles into a 6,000 mile Artic Adventure.Tomorrow we head up to Coldfoot and then Deadhorse.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]