Harley rider gives GS rider some riding " tips"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by theshnizzle, Jul 6, 2013.

1. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the posting of the " loudest pipes" completion. The first thing I thought of was up at D2D they have completions as well,but it's more about Motorcycle handling SKILLS......
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I always tell the Loud Pipes Saves Lives idiots. Just ride around with your horn blaring.
  3. Benduro

Benduro Carnavoyeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kommando, if you thought the fmf was loud...good luck with anything else! I bet the gixxer can will sound good though. Probably a very nice can.
    When I blew apart my fmf, I put on a two brothers m7. And a fmf powerbomb headpipe. Jesus.
    I have been so close to ordering another fmf q4 so many times. This thing is obnoxious.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy I rode with in Chicago put a TB muff on his GSX-R 750. I couldn't even hear my streetbike's engine howling under me, if he was in front of or next to me.

As for the OP's story, this is quite timely...Just yesterday, I rode over to Orlando to stay at my sister's while my BIL is out of town. As I pull the dirty, nasty, bug-covered, sand-scraped, mud-caked DR up to the guardshack at her gated community, wearing FF helmet, elbow guards, armored gloves, boots, pants, bug-crusted Acerbis Cosmo chest/back protector, and a hi-viz undershirt, the guard there comments,

"You really like that thing, don't ya? I've seen you on it before. You have a car too, don't ya?"

Me- "Yeah. This bike has been an absolute blast since I got it."

Guard- "You really oughta check out a Harley."

Me- "I've ridden them before. My buddy had a nice little Sporty 1200 I liked."

Guard- "Naw, you need something bigger. Those are kinda girls' bikes. You want something like a Wide Glide. They got a nice cushy suspension too."

:huh

:rofl

In my head- "I'm guessing they aren't cushy enough to take a ditch at over 20MPH without a few mods though, and I'm thinking they're probably a bit more taxing in the sugarsand if you're kinda girlie like me."

:lol3

I'll have to ask him to come out riding when I get a buddy-bike CRF or something with a cushy for tushy suspension.

:freaky
  5. GapRunr

GapRunr Well Known Hermit

Oddometer:
    You just made it pretty clear to everyone that you are one of those old guys who rides a big ass full dresser, and usually has his feet down at anything less than 20 mph since you haven't got the experience to balance a bike at low speeds.

Go back to your golf cart, and get off my lawn. :lol3
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear this a lot and I really don't get it. In my experience, comfort and fun rarely go together. In fact, they're typically opposites.
  7. WormShanks

WormShanks b00b

Oddometer:
    Regardless, I think most people would agree that listening to loud pipes is prefered over whining. :D
  8. Red9

Red9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is that really the best you got.....
  9. panorton

panorton Charming as F**k

Oddometer:

Sounds like we have a new poll:clap
  10. Robert_W

Robert_W Giant Douche / Turd Sammich - 'Murica F' Ya Baby!

Oddometer:
    In season we get literally 100000's of bikes through our neck of the woods. It's a steady stream all day past my office. For months in the summer. There are 2 paved roads here. One goes north south and the other east west.

I'm a live and let live / ride kinda guy. But with out question I loath the obnoxiously loud pipe thing.

We can be 2 miles or more away from pavement and still hear the F'ng things echoing up and down the valley. Seriously? I need to hear this shit MILES away! ? :baldy
  11. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but you're aware they're there so you don't run into them... :huh
  12. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Still beats the blaring tunes of icecream cars. :deal
  13. dwestly

dwestly Refuses to Grow Up! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those who can't make horsepower...make noise. - me

Or, think of it as the human male version of a male peacock displaying its feathers to attract a mate. Which is fine...if you're a bird brain.

Speaking of the animal kingdom and its metaphoric association with motorcycling, let's talk "ape hangers". On the other hand, let's not. It's self-explanatory.

See what happens when you get me started about those real men (and women), those rugged individualists dressed all alike in their black leather plumage, migrating from watering hole to watering hole, desperately flaunting their over-chromed appendage extenders in a vain attempt to reassure each other of their two-wheel bravado...
  14. precarious

precarious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfectly fine? They're terrible machines on so many levels. They're like riding an anvil with metal-flake paint. And we still can blame Harleys for all the noise because they started all this dumbass cruiser "biker lifestyle" BS. If it weren't for Harley, there wouldn't be metric cruisers at all.... well, maybe Triumph, but that's it. The Japanese never would have built VTXs or Vulcans or whatever if Harley hadn't shaped the market.

I don't want to attack you personally too much,but these two points really drive me nuts.
  15. precarious

precarious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. El Pescador

El Pescador Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You stay classy.
  17. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    Why can't you have more then one tool in your toolbox? If you believe in ATGATT, you should want to do add noise, to along with high visibility costumes.

I argue against loud pipes on Harley site, mostly you should not ride at night and early morning, through towns if you have neighbors. I always advocate throttle control.

But I also disagree with people here that say it does no good. Sure as they say you can't hear them until they are close. But I am not worried about being cut off when the guy is 50 yards ahead of me either.

I am against drag pipes, and really don't see many drag pipes. But I am ok with exhaust having some rumble. It is the price you pay to live in civilization, to have to put up with other people. I laugh when people on here make it sound like the poop themselves and veer off into the ditch every time they hear something loud. When I was growing up hotrods had glasspacks and such.

I think you can debate whether I have the right to bother you or you have the right to not be bothered. I think there is a line. If you are nancy boy, lots of stuff will bother you. You are the reason schools have to rename there mascots.

I think alot more can be down by going after guys we rev there engine and take off hard, then worrying about airflow through a pipe.
  18. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    This up there with the top 50 dumbshit things I have read here.
    So do you blame the gun, or the person who shot it? I bet you are one of the liberals in favor of suing gun companies.

Harley sold/sells a product, that people buy. Other companies have said hey, we want in on it or can improve it. This is how we got cell phones and laptop computers.
  19. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    I can order the same costume as many here from Aerostich, Olympia, ect.

How many guys in this thread wearing gray nylon suit?
  20. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Maybe I could give you some tips. You were talking to the chic on the back of the bike, not the rider. Is this the bar you want to set? Granted, I think lots of you guys are gay, cause you choose bikes a woman is not going to want to ride on.