Anybody updated to iOS 6 yet?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by MrBob, Sep 22, 2012.

1. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I fired up my iPhone 4 this morning I saw the message that an update was available. In the past, these updates have often been a mixed blessing. I want an inmate to try it first and report back here.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did it, just because I'm funny that way. I have an iPhone 4, not 4S. I really don't notice much of a difference at all. Maps app is different, but the 4 doesn't get all the new "features".

I'm not super geeky about this stuff so haven't gotten too deep into it. I'm sure there are features that are useful, but I haven't found them yet. I run a 24/7 business and oftentimes work late at night, so I appreciate the "Do Not Disturb" on the phone. I hate when suppliers call me at 7:00am!

Some things look different. Music fonts are different. App store is different and I don't like it! Cartoonish.

No issues. Glitches. Drama. Seems to work fine, but I'm not raving about it and wouldn't recommend updating to my wife since she'll be annoyed that her beloved maps app isn't the same. I use the garmin or Motion X drive anyway so...
  3. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Google a list of which iOS6 feature are actually available on the iP4. If you rely on the maps app, don't update. The new maps still suck.

I've upgraded my iPad, but will keep my 3GS on iOS5.
  4. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Doing it as we speak, I let XRwife do it first she had no issues and like some of the new features.
  5. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Did it Wednesday. I used Passbook for my boarding pass on a United flight Thursday.

It is ok. It does appear to run quicker than iOS 5 on an iPhone4. Battery life appears to be the same.
  6. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    Did it.

I feel Internet is faster.

Like it.

It was a mistake to dump google maps! :deal .... The new maps and the app is good, but has some flaws.
  7. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    Did it last night on my 4. Actually I had my wife do it for me.

So far so good. It has a Do Not Disturb function which seems pretty useful. If you use your phone as an alarm clock you can set teh do not disturb and set the alarm as an exception. That way you don't have to hear your phone ding away all night as emails come in.

As has been widely reported the maps function is different now. I haven't used it enough to see how much worse it is. Hopefully Apple will work quickly to update the maps.

I has a much older OS so I really like that I can access the camera driectly when hitting the home button.
  8. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    upgraded mine and the wife's. upgrade itself went smooth.

i like the look and speed of the new maps, but the inaccuracy thing is bad.

new app store seems slower. i'm ok with the interface.

battery life seems unchanged.

it changed the settings for my icloud (how my phone does music), which was kind of annoying.

the features in setting are improved and deserve a good poking through.
  9. squidhunter

squidhunter suck-squeeze-bang-blow

Oddometer:
    I upgraded my iPhone (4S) and iPad (2nd gen) 2 days ago. No problems. I like the turn by turn directions on the new map app, but MotionX Drive still seems to be a bit better.

What I really want to see in a mapping/GPS app for iPhone with something that will allow user-defined routes like most stand-alone GPS devises let you do.
  10. liquidsmile

liquidsmile Soon to be bored with the bike I am riding.

Oddometer:
    I have the 4, and I still have not seen the 6 on mine yet. It is weird. I plugged it in on Friday, and it said my phone was up to date.

If you have to have the 4S to get the cool updates, when mine does show it is able to update, I will probably just leave it how it is.
  11. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    odd.

you may have to update your itunes before you can upgrade your phone.
  12. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    You can update the 4, that's what mine is. Not sure why it told you it was up to date.
  13. rdtrvlr

rdtrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be the unlucky one. I updated my iPhone4. it took 2 1/2 hrs. I rely on google maps big time for work. app maps sucks. first address i put in it fri wanted me to go 38 miles north of where the actual address was. 2nd address was closer but still wrong.
    I put my address in and it shows a tree that was cut down in 1998.
    my battery like is about 1/2 what it was.
    my love for the iPhone has dropped considerably
  14. liquidsmile

Oddometer:
    I use motionX GPS. It is an app, and it is not free. However, it is an extremely cheap GPS by GPS price standards. I think I have a total of 12 bucks in it. I use it any time I have to rent a car.

The voice guidance is the most expensive part. $9.99 per year.
  15. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I upgraded my iPhone 4S the other day to iOS6.

I haven't been able to check my email since upgrading, via Verizons network, or WiFi.. and surfing the web is pretty difficult as well.

Sent from my MacBook Pro using hunt and peck via WiFi since my iPhone 4S cannot access the interweb any longer.....
  16. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did on my 4S and iPad 3. The panoramic photo option on the 4S is interesting. Maps is working well for me. The satellite view is okay but it would be nice if the distortion could be removed. Even so, there seems to be more detail than the google version. I like the nav so far.

If you want google maps, you can put a link from the website on the screen like an app. I'm suspicious of the Facebook integration. I did some research and it looks like enabling it may allow access to your contact list which makes a mess. It appears this can be turned off in the preferences. Oh yeah, if you aren't paying attention, because of the integration you could wind up sending a photo or text to Facebook instead of the desired recipient. Some actress accidentally sent a tit shot to her twitter feed instead of her fiancé.
  17. Tilt2turn

Tilt2turn Onewheel, or another... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't see a message for the new update either on my iPhone 4. So I went to Settings and when I looked at the Software Update, it stated that I needed 2.5 gig of free space. I had 1.1 available, so it wouldn't let me update until I cleared enough off of my phone. After that, no issues with iOS6.
  18. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Like any upgrade for anything, you might want to do a hard reset after you upgrade. Instructions here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone

Map accuracy is really bad. My sat view is showing the previous owners's rv in the drive. We've lived here for over 4 years.
  19. liquidsmile

Oddometer:
    That is probably my problem as well. I don't have that much free space. 2.5 gig of space for an update. :huh
  20. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have people been backing up their phones, to the Cloud or otherwise, before uploading the new OS?