MOTUS: New Sport Tourer built in Alabama

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Reverend12, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ZX14,K1300S and Haybusa is sportstourers :-D
  2. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    You could not have hit the nail more centered on the head. These guys wanted a comfortable, day-long, US built, sport touring bike. They threw in all the bits they thought were missing from the market and went on a tour promoting the running protos. They were very aggresive with the roll-out plan and are in the final stages of getting the fed thumbs up.

There did everything right, to this point as far as I can tell. Hired the right engineering companies, sourced the right parts, and seem to be pulling it off.

It's easy to be the downer here. Even if the nay-sayers are proven wrong you will hear them here with 'yea, but this is all the stuff that sucks...'. Why bother? The bike isn't your cup-o-venom? don't like the business model? Don't like the bags or the lack of heat shields on the pipes (really?). Maybe bitching about HD is more your speed.

They are a US startup with a goal and the balls to pull it off. This country could use more of that and a lot less bitching.
  3. ktrout01

ktrout01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a great looking bike. Being a big fan of the old Honda V's and Guzzis, I love the looks of the motor ! If I could sneak $30K out of the checkbook, I would. I better set a hammock up in the garage loft because I'd be living there for a while when she finds out.

It's great to see a US start up. I just hope that our small business hostile, federal government doesn't make it impossible for them to make it to production.
  4. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can hardly wait for the 'I told'ja so' thread, no matter which way this goes. Hell, I'm rootin' for them to succeed and I ain't even Murrican. :lol3
  5. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Preach it. I'm looking forward to seeing them on the road.

Cakeater
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I looked at a map you were. :deal
  7. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Lol....yes, we all need a bike which can beat a ZX14 in a top speed race on a public road course. I guess because we all need to end up dead or in jail??? (Or both? :evil )

I can't wait to check out a Motus - I wanted to see them when they came through Bonneville, but wasn't able to find out when they would be there in time to make it.

It's so boring to read all these "experts" talk about this or that, and not just be excited for the bike. What an amazing accomplishment! :freaky

And, I totally agree, the bike really does look great! I love that I can replace a scratched bag easily, and I LOVE the pushrod engine - I'm so sick of adjusting valves! (BMW & KTM owner :D )

I'm in the market for a Motus, I'm not rich, but I love to ride and understand what the bike is and appreciate it for that.

Now, Motus.....how's about you get off your duffs and build me my new bike! :evil. :freaky
  8. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    ^^^yes.

I think it's time for the someone to repost a video of the exhaust sound again.
  9. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about a video of the bike being ridden? Turn up the volume, it's a sweeet sound. Especially around 0.55 seconds in!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3DByGC5AlY0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Given the choice between a bagged ZX14 and the Motus, I would take the Motus every damn time. I'm hoping they do great and sell boat loads of bikes.
  10. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd love to see it out on a track with a Ninja 1000, Multistrada 1200, ZX-14, hell any random sampling of bikes.

On the same day with the same rider, get some objective lap times. The bike magazines do this pretty frequently, I think there are plenty of people following this thread who would be interested.

That is, if the Motus is ever widely available. :hide
  11. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I'm reading that they are selling the engines.

I'm not sure if this means they are selling them off, or are willing to sell engines for other uses as well as in the MOTUS.
  14. PhilB

PhilB Long timer

Oddometer:
    The latter. You can order a crate engine for about $10K, for whatever project you want to use it for. It's an additional revenue stream, which makes sense to me.

PhilB
  15. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:

Almost everybody has been saying something to that effect, without even having ridden it. I never said I have anything against the bike itself, but I would not say how great it is until after I had ridden it. And I don't really care anything about marketing. The big problem I have is the price, which is absolutely absurd. It's like buying a Rolex when a Timex will work just fine. Except that it does not have the wow factor of a Rolex. Judged purely on it's functionality as a motorcycle, there is no way it can be worth that much. Bikes like the ST1300, C1400, and FJR1300 will do at least as well, probably better. and at less than 2/3 the cost, maybe a lot less. And they are proven, have guaranteed support, especially parts availability. Theirs nothing exclusive about them, but I don't see that as a bad thing for that type of motorcycle. So what makes the Motus worth so much more? Would you take that thing out and ride it in the rain, which means mud, even on pavement? But the biggest problem is when they sell a couple thousand bikes, then go belly up. My local powersports dealer, the biggest in my area, lost a fortune when they decided to become an EH dealer. They had a HUGE EH electric sign put up, added on an addition to the showroom, and ordered about 20 bikes. The last few set there for years after the company went kaboom, they finally sold them at about half price to collectors. I don't know why a collector would want a symbol of a failed company but some people will collect anything. The people who bought them to ride found themselves with one off bikes with no support. The big sign came down, and that dealer no longer worked on them or sold parts for them. They became the Yugo of motorcycles, just a lot more expensive. Hopefully if this happens to Motus, most of the buyers will be wealthy enough to absorb the loss.

If they make it, great. Not that I can afford one, but then I can't afford a 1200GS either. I can barely afford a KLR. But if I were going to buy such a bike, it would probably be a KLR. It's cheap, can do almost everything a GS can, and a few things a GS can't. If you crash it, it will do a lot less damage than crashing a GS will.

If you really want to impress someone, get a big block Boss Hoss. They cost about the same as a Motus, are proven reliable, support is available, and the WOWWWW!! factor is definitely there. You can still get one for the same price as a new Indian, and they are not a copy of something.

Whatever Motus is going to do, or not do, I wish they would get on with it. If they ever do make it to market, it will have taken so long that most people will have forgotten about them, or just plain no longer care. When most people want something they want it now, and there are plenty of great bikes out there that you can actually buy now.
  16. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd rather die than own anything like a Boss Hoss.

As to why the Motus is priced the way it is, top quality engineering takes money. Especially when you are a small start up company and don't have Honda's R&D budget.

The Motus is not the bike to impress anyone on. It is designed to be functional and not butt jewelry.
  17. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    After reading the various comments on this thread I think back to this quote I read years ago.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    &#8213; Theodore Roosevelt
  18. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    this....
  19. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I was getting off my bike at a local dealer a few years ago and out pulls a young guy on a Boss Hoss with the most incredible, petite, young lady in a halter top and tight, tight shorts on the back.

Once he got on the road, pointed straight, he let it rip, with the hottie holding on so tight, the bike burning clouds of rubber and leaving a track out of sight.

Yeah, right then, I wanted a Hoss.:lol3
  20. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I'd rather die than own anything like a Boss Hoss."

That statement takes the cake as the dumbest post in this thread. Pretty hard to do but he did it.:rofl