Crown Vic CVPI+cool cop cars

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by STROMVADER, Dec 3, 2011.

1. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw an 87' Diplomat on CL in IL with a 318 and 6spd trans, for $1200.
  2. Modena

Modena Qwickie Mart

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How about a Special Service Production Mustang?
    aka SSP Mustang! many police agencies used these.
    see.... Specialservicemustang.net
    you don't have to restore it just drive it!
    they are Great Drivers..
    Also I am still looking for In Service C H P Mustang Pictures from members
    here photo albums:ear
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609800&highlight=Mustang
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Yeah, but not gallons of the stuff every day. :eek1

I've driven one of those old cop 'stangs, they get with it.:deal
  4. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    That's what, an '85 Mustang? I had one (not a police package though.) Cool car for a high school kid, but in hindsight, it was pretty much a piece of shit in every way.
  5. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is just badass! I love the LX notchback. Very clean and tough, no ground effects.:shoot
  6. motorjon68

motorjon68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been driving these things for the past 16yrs, 40+ hrs a week, days/nites/weekends/holidays and I never thought of that. Great idea- strongly recommend one for a 16yr. old's 1st car.

My son is only 3, too bad Ford is done making them. Just got my new ( and last) one a few months ago, just turned 10,000 miles.
    I think we are switching to the Dodge. I see we got a few new Tahoe's in too.
  8. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    My sister bought one in 1975 that was a APD cop car, a pursuit vehicle from only 1973~1974. It was when they only kept cop cars here in Albuquerque for a year or two then auctioned them off cheap. She got it for $400.00. It had huge sway bars, a 440 magnum pursuit motor, wide steel wheels, and wider than stock tyres. It was a 4 door Satalite. Man, thet thing was faster than shit which was great because she couldn't stand driving it since it got shitty mileage and was so fast. I bought it from her for $200.00 and drove it as a second car for two years. The cool thing about it was they left the cop stuff on it, all of it except the took off the emergency lights and painted over the door badge with flat black. I took it to the car wash, something my sister had never done, and the black washed right off. So, I drove around town for two years with a APD cop car that I never got pulled over in. They even had left the radio in the trunk and I put it back in and had total contact with all the APD cars! Shoudl have kept it but I sold it after 2 HARD burn out, and power sliding years of operation for $1200.00 since it still had all the cop[ stuff in it. You should have seen the reactions I got when I took it to run what ya brung nights at the dragstrip.
  9. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish Carbon would hurry up and get their act together. By the time they get around to actually producing cars, law enforcement will all be done by surveillance drones and automatic bank withdrawal.
  10. Purcell69

Purcell69 Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer:
    Moving forward...at the speed of rust in mid-OK
    Of all the former police cars out there, the B4C Camaros and the '94-'96 9C1 Caprices were my favorites, though I do like the old Diplomats as well. Having driven both the P71 CVPIs and the LT1 powered Caprices back to back, the Caprice launched harder and cornered better than the CV. The CV could be a lot of fun though, if you knew how to use the body roll to "steer with the rear".

My new favorite is this one, my personal ride and nowhere near retirement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ridiculous fast and very stable. My old CV would get 10 MPG around town and not much better on the highway. This gets between 14-16 around town on patrol and 22 MPG cruising the interstate at 80 MPH. Running wide open on the speed limiter though, you can watch the needle on the gas guage fall like a rock! :lol3

You may want to look at vehicles from Kansas. Some years back they passed a law that requires all emergency service vehicles to be retired at 50k miles. We used to get our used patrol cars out of Kansas for years, at half the cost of new, complete with all the maintenance records. I don't know if they do private party sales though.

-Joe
  11. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our local department passes its cars down to other city departments, rather than retire them. I'm pretty sure they put more than 50k miles on them before doing so, too. 50k seems like it would be only a year of driving or so, and our cars definitely stay on the street longer than that. Judging by the bonepile behind the maintenance yard, they do significant bodywork in house, too. There are patrol cars back there with quarters cut off, presumably to repair other units.
  12. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks downright tough! I saw a retired Charger PI, but the center counsel was hacked apart and the price was way too high. I really like the brush guard. When I get the CVPI, I might make something custom for the front bar. Good photo contribution!:clap
  13. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    :confusedCarbon?
  14. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. STROMVADER

STROMVADER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I reckon that car means business. I like the engine choice, 400 ft/lb TD that gets 30mpg. Noice!:tb
  17. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ruh-roh.
  18. Purcell69

Oddometer:
    That may be a State thing with Kansas rather than a City/County thing. Before we went to the Chargers, we got almost all our CV's from KHP, in assorted colors, and none with more than 55k miles on them. The last batch we got was through a refurbishing company in Texas, former San Antonio PD cars. They were crap-heaps that had been slapped together for profit and quick resale. The Chargers were all purchased new, and have been a blessing.

-Joe
  19. Purcell69

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This was my old CVPI the day I retired it for my new Charger. She was a former San Antonio PD car (2005 model) with about 100k miles on her, as I recall. We sold her to a neighboring PD like we did with most of our old fleet. The garage queens were sold as scrap.

From what I've read, they've built a few prototypes, but I don't think it will ever get off the ground without financial backing from a major PD like New York or LA. The idea of a purpose-built police package is a good one, but it will be tough to make it profitable. I think most departments are reluctant to commit to the Carbon product simply due to its unique nature. Replacement parts for Fords, Chevys and Dodges are easy to get. The Carbon Motors product is likely to be more difficult. It will likely end up with parts from other manufactuers, much like AMC did back in the day, a combination of Ford, Chrysler, and GM parts for the end product. Still, it would be nice to see this company get their product off the ground and in to production.

-Joe
  20. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    This OK State Trooper liked his new "mobile office" alot back in 2008. He wrote both of us with warnings to be careful and gave excellent advice on the camping area up ahead at Black Mesa. This had to be the best "being pulled over" experience ever, and I've been pulled over several times over the years.:lol3 A smile and a cordial attitude goes a long way.:deal
    [​IMG]