Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    true dat, i think they changed it to this style. dumb!
  2. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Excellent write-up Chris! I also bought these for my XC. So far so good!
  3. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Where can I find these tires and do they have 19" M40's for the roadie?
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
  5. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

They do.
    Chapparals in CA
    American Mototire in AZ
    KGM Motorcycle tires in Utah
    found these guys on a google search: http://www.motorcyclemaniacstore.com free ship and will send to Canad too.

All have them online. I think American motortire had the best prices though: http://www.americanmototire.com
    And the 19 is even a radial. Super duper special. :evil Us with the 21's have to get by with a tubed bias tire. I have no chicken strips on mine, but they never feel like they're gonna let go. Fantastic tire. Now that I'm used them I ride the shit out of them. I feel a little vib right at about 18mph coming to a stop, and that's it.

EDIT: I just looked at prices and it appears Chapparal's has the lowest price. And I think they ship free too. In state pays tax though, so AZ is better for us here in Cali.

And yes, they are a great tire for the roadie if you're gonna do some gravel running. They'll do quite nicely on road too. Certainly not like the Pirellis that came on it, but they work well for a dualsport type tire.

EDIT II: BTW, American Moto Tire has the 150 size michelin innertubes that are so hard to find as well. I now carry a spare in my pannier on longer trips. Always have a front under the seat, with irons, a patch kit, and a 12v pump.
  6. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:

I am on my third 140 section rear with no issues. Works great.
  7. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    I'm picking up my new 800XC on Friday and have to replace the tires with something a little better suited to the gravel road I live on.

About the Full Bore tires, it says that the front tire (M41) is Bias ply and the rear (M40) is Radial. :huh

Is that going to be an issue?
  8. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Should not be a problem at all.
  9. T

T --------------

Oddometer:
    I've never had any problems with this setup but I believe tire manufacturers are required (by their lawyers) to deny that combinations other than two perfectly matched tires, of the same make/model, with equal amounts of tread, and mounted by a factory certified installer will be anything but safe.....:D
  10. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Of course! Not to mention that such a policy helps to sell more tires.
  11. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Unless your racing on a track & can ride like a pro, you'll never notice the bias front is paired with a radial.
  12. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    BMW F650s, the old thumper model, came from the factory with a radial and bias ply tire with warnings that if you didn't run tires like that you'd die in a fiery crash. :deal
  13. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates,

Wanted to check and see if this is a common/inherant design issue with the 800XC.

Basically, if you take your hands off the bars while going straight down the road.......the bike will pull to the right. It's very subtle to correct....but basically, I have to continuously counter steer the bike to keep it going straight. The only other way to make the bike go straight (without hands on the bars), is to lean my body off to the left of the bike (i.e., like I'm looking around the left side of the windshield).

Most people won't notice it, but I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrists....and on trips where I ride day, after day, it starts to cause me issues.

After testing every thing I thought was causing the problem, like the crown of the road, loose spokes, etc., I finally took the bike to the dealer. They confirmed the issue, and worked with Triumph to try to correct the problem (three weeks in the shop). They adjusted the front end, tightened spokes, put a new wheel on the front, etc., and could not resolve the problem.

Finally, the tech called me and told me that he took to brand new 800XC's off of the show room floor......Guess what???? HE SAID THAT BOTH OF THE NEW BIKES DO IT TOO!!!! He said I was welcome to come down and ride them as well to confirm.

I finally figured out a bandaid solution. I put my Giant Loop Coyote soft bag on the bike......then PUT A 15 LB. BUMBELL IN THE LEFT SIDE OFF THE BAG......and guess what, the bike tracks straight with my hands off the bars!!!!!!!!!!

Next time you're out on your bike, wondering if you could test to see if your bike does the same and advise :ear:ear:ear

Thanks in advance.
  14. gusutavot800

gusutavot800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine does the same thing, I read somewhere that the additional weight of the exhaust on the right side is what does it, it weights around 15 lbs, I would like to hear from people who have a lighter aftermarket exhaust, maybe it makes a difference
  15. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    My XC had this issue. I corrected it by adjusting the front wheel.

Now, on a level road, removing my hands from the bars, the bike tracks straight.
  16. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    UMMM... :huh why do you need to take your hands off the bars for extended periods of time??? The way I would fix it is not to take my hands off the bars.
  17. The Breeze

The Breeze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uh ya......

Taking my hands off the bars was to method used to determine the problem.

What I like to do (which I can on my other bikes) is to "rest" my hands lightly on the bars while riding.....and therefore, minimize the vibes that are transferred into my hands/wrists. With this issue on my XC, I have to "counter steer" 24/7.....and push one side, pull on the other, or a combination of both to keep the bike going straight. This requires more pressure on the bars....which sends more "vibes" into my hands....and thus aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome.

I bought this bike because of it super smooth/low vibration motor. However, because I have to continuously counter steer the bike.......it is causing me more carpal tunnel issues than other bikes that have more vibes....but don't have to be counter steered.
  18. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My klr did this, it was cured by tweeking the rear wheel. Can't remember which way to tell you to adjust it at the moment. It was simple though, 1/2 turn on one side, ride and see if it was better.
  19. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the stock size orange indicator bulb for the 800? Can I get it at any auto parts store, or maybe a BMW dealer (closer than the Triumph dealer)?
  20. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on the tires. I went ahead and ordered a set of the Full Bores. I would have liked the longevity of the K60s, but considering that I could get a full set of tires for less than the price of one K60 rear, well, it's hard to not at least give them a try.