Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by mike cummins, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mike cummins

mike cummins OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer:
    guys whats the diference between a retro and a normal ural apart from suspension, tank, low sidecar etc? im looking at getting one . I currentley ride a hp2e and im keeping it, just have always wanted a ural. thanks mike
  2. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Retros have smaller 18 inch wheels, a higher final drive ratio (3.9 compared with 4.6), a different frame and no leading link front wheel suspension. Engine, drive train and brakes are the same.
    If you haven't done so already have a look at Soviet Steeds and Russian Iron forums. Lots of info and help on both
  3. mike cummins

Oddometer:
    thanks ural norm will do
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking the Retro will earn a bit more MPG & your upper hyway speed can be higher as the rpm are lower.

Have been told by an owner that the over all ride is smoother.

Keep in mind the Retro only comes in 1wd but still has the reverse.

I found the seat to handle bar position is different, but nothing that would drive me away from either.
  5. Kristof Granit

Kristof Granit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes

Yes - Even a little bit too smooth (forks) for me on some bad roads :evil

Yes

For long rides I am more "confortable" on the Gear Up.

Very shortly:
    You are "1.80m" you want to drive "off road": Tourist, patrol or Gear Up

You want a nice looking hack for "sundays" rides, on "normal" roads: Retro
  6. mike cummins

Oddometer:
    thanks wolf and kristoff, thats a bit of a bummer cause australia is except for the coast , one big off road track, i always buy what i like the look of and try and make it work, well i better think somemore.
  7. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike, except for the higher gearing the Retros work well in Oz. Last October, Jon Taylor, our local importer, took one on a 2 day adventure ride from Kentucky (near Uralla) to Inverell and return. All up we had 16 Urals, and the Retro was the first and only one in the country. Not 4 wheel drive country, but many dirt roads that have been used in past Wynn's around Aust rallies.
    Check the Sydney dealer, they list a Retro on BikeSales, so they should have one for you to drool on. Good luck.
    I've taken my Tourist up the Oodnadatta Track, to Lake Eyre, through the Snowy mtns, all over Tassie, Uluru & Alice Springs, 6 Adelaide - East Coast trips and a couple of Ural Oz Adventure rides. A Retro could have easily done all of these trips, the higher gearing would be a plus on interstate bitumen travel.
  8. mike cummins

Oddometer:
    yeah Norm, i reckon my hp2e does me for the off road but if the retro can handle dirt roads like the oodnadatta then it should suffice. I saw the one you mentioned and hope to get to kentucky (au) to test ride one in the next few weeks.
  9. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Way to go Mike, a group of over 20 outfits will be assembling at Ural Kentucky HQ on Monday 24 Sept. A 3 day adventure ride to the Nth coast and back to Kentucky. Jon and his helpers are great people to deal with. You won't be disappointed.
  10. mike cummins

Oddometer:
    thanks norm, will get up there in next week or so.
  11. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike, check out Jon's web page. He is bringing in 2 white with black pin striping Retros. Pic on his home page, looks fantastic.
  12. mike cummins

Oddometer:
    yep thanks norm, i kinda like the olive green colour as i always liked the m70 version. From what i can see, the retro will make it most places i need to go and seems to be quicker and look better. When i ride the hp2 i get off road but most of the klms have been dirt road and i suspect a ural will be no diferent. I see sand a bit of a prob but cant see me going off road that far that the sand will be that deap. Im 51 and feel 41 so i suspect if the track is that wild i would be taking the hp2e anyway.
  13. UralNorm

UralNorm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike, we are on a 3 day Adventure Ride with 21 Urals, including 2 Retros. Lots of 4wd tracks yesterday with sand. The Retros were as capable as the Tourists.
    I was wrong about the Retro fd ratios. In Oz they are the same as the Tourists, 4.62. Only 3 are in stock and next shipment to Oz will be January.
  14. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    FD ratios are the same for all but the Solo, but the 3.89 gearset can be installed in any FD. It's NOT advised!

I started a thread at Soviet Steeds asking about it
    http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24247
  15. mike cummins

Oddometer:
    Thanks Norm, love to see so vid or pics of the trip
  16. GTinAus

GTinAus nutsplitter

Oddometer:
    Everybody seems to be forgetting that whilst the Retro's gearing and final drive are the same as the newer bikes, they have 18" wheels and tyres all round whilst the later models have 19".....and no, you CANNOT put 19" wheels and tyres on a Retro.

Hence a slightly better pickup, but a slightly lower top speed.

Having driven/ridden both during Jon's recent 3 day Ural trip, I am undecided as to which is the best...however, only difference, is the Retro is slightly rougher, both for the rider and passenger on rough gravel.

The other significant difference, is the rider height. The newer versions, you sit up a lot higher than the Retro.
  17. Bazzle21

Bazzle21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I have been the owner of a 2012 retro maroon in colour for 3 days now. I previously rode a Suzuki Boulavard ( 1500 cc) with a chair. I'm in Sunny North Queensland. Whilst its early times so far, No head shake, suspension smooth and comfortable, Wife loves the ride in the chair. Im going for a 200 k trip each way on the week end and will report back on any issues. I will post pictures when i find the cable for my phone.:rofl