Anyone out there have the Sena SMH10?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sixsevenfive, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply Lujo. Could you expand on your thoughts please. I believe I would want the push on, push off set-up. Was the delay too long between pushing the button and channel opening? If I'm singing to myself, I don't want to broadcast it to the critical ears of my wife. :D Is there something about the VOX operation that you don't like? Thanks again!

Murf2
  2. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a second or two delay, which is often too much for "hey, look at that"-type exchanges. In practice that means that if we want to talk for a while we leave the Senas in "talk" mode. We "push off" for singing to ourselves. :)
  3. WZ4I

WZ4I Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Verizon just released the Droid X 2.2 update. Finally have BT voice commands on the headset again! Working great with MP3's and Phone. Not sure if the Navigator works with BT voice commands yet.
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for some help if possible guys :D.

A buddy and I bought a dual pack of Sena SMH10's.

Ive got my N95 paired with the Zumo and the Zumo to the Sena.

My friend and I talk in intercom mode and after a few times of starting and stopping, then the Zumo wont talk to the Sena anymore for navigation or phone calls.

Reboot everything and it may work for a while but the same thing seems to happen again and again.

If we dont use the intercom then all seems to work.

We have re-paired everything a few times, did factory resets etc but the same thing happens.

He has the same issues as I do but doesnt have an N95

Very frustrating having to reboot things all the time :cry.

We used to have an Interphones and never had a problem with the Zumo or our phones apart from insufficient volume, thats why we got the Sena.
  5. JDLuke

JDLuke Ravening for delight

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend contacting Sena support about this. When I had a similar problem (only with intermittent rather than missing sound after switching modes) they took care of me very quickly with new headsets.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

I have done again, via the local distributor, see what they have to say.

It also becomes intermittent and crackly every so often and needs a reboot.

Im told its probably a Zumo issue :huh.

I dont think so, since its always worked fine before and my friend has the same issue.
  7. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dual set I bought worked really well for about 500 miles of dirt roads. The unit on my wife's helmet does not work all of the time in transmit for intercom. I have to wiggle it for the transmit to work again. I have four headsets and it does the same thing in all. She rides in my dust a good portion of the time. I am wondering if this will be a recurring problem?

I will contact support and see what they will do. I am curious if the unit is full of dirt.

I hope it is not a problem because the intercom worked great and made the rides a lot more fun.

Cigar Mike
  8. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive just done a 2500k ride over the last 4 days in outback Australia, 50% dirt.
    I dont think dust is an issue with ours.
    Ive been having the same issues from the start and its no better or worse now.

And yes, it makes those long sections much less tedious :D so I hope I can sort it out, otherwise the other alternative is the much more expensive UHF setup.
  9. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has it happened to more then one unit of yours? The one on my helmet has no problems as of yet. I thought it might be a problem with the clamp but it didn't matter which one it was placed in. Now some may not think this was a problem if they couldn't hear their wife.:rofl The only good thing is I can tell her when she is not transmitting because she can still receive.

Cigar Mike
  10. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    We just returned from a ten day 2564 mile trip on the Ural. Our head sets worked great, we only used them as intercoms and left them on (open mike) all the time. The battery lasted all day and we charged them every night, ether with the bike battery or with an electrical outlet if we had access to one. They made the trip more enjoyable for us.
  11. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine started doing something new a couple weeks ago.

Every time I power on the Sena, it reverts to voice control. I've learned how to switch it back on the fly, so it's not that big of a deal, but it is kind of annoying since I never want it! Any ideas anyone?
  12. sonic578

sonic578 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just returned from our 1st trip with the Senas. Overall, extremely pleased with their design and performance, and thought I'd post some impressions here since this forum has been of great help to us in deciding to go with Sena in the first place.

Since we had not had intercom before this trip, part of our delight is just the value of being able to communicate on the fly. If you're on the fence about getting these, and you ride with others, do it! Adds a new dimension to the rides. Now for a couple of Sena-specific comments:
    • impressive range for BT! and probably all you really need for casual conversing.
    • battery life beyond expectations. had them on all day the last day, which was rather long - 15 hrs in the saddle! and none died. on rare occasion (maybe twice over the 1 week trip) one unit would loose intercom with another, so those 2 guys just power cycled on the fly and problem solved.
    • earbud accy (A-0303) flawless. Good audio level, and well balanced levels between music and intercom. Sometimes after an intercom session it sounded like an equalizer was not getting reset - music would restart somewhat tinny, but then clear up within a few seconds.
    • went through a short but intense rain storm. stopped shortly after and checked for water. the surface of the rectangular gasket was wet, suggesting not a perfect seal, but the water had not reached the pogo pins (yet). no functional problems, tho the storm was only about 45 min long.
    As I said, we were all quite pleased with the Sena's! That said, there's still some 'opportunities' for next gen. Here are a couple of thoughts, some new, some not:
    1. Add earbud functionality to the speaker unit, rather than having them be separate accessories. There are times where one is preferred over the other, and switching accessories can't really be done during a ride.
    2. Pause the music during an intercom session. Most intercom sessions are quite short and missing a little music isn't a bid deal, but, if you're at a critical point in a podcast, then it matters. This seems like it would not be hard to do?
    3. Provide a little sidetone into earbuds. This would only make sense with earbuds, not speakers. (Sidetone is a low level mixing of your voice back into your earbuds.) It is done in all phones, cellular and landline, and helps overcome isolation of earbuds and helps the talker achieve a consistent level.
    4. Provide an audio indicator when you are in an intercom session and another rider is attempting to break in. It would be nice to know someone is trying to reach you. Just a low level series of beeps.
    5. A little more juice for the speakers. Only needed for earplug users of course, but at speed with earplugs, the level is just a tad low.
    6. And finally, while we're dreaming... add a group call mode! Don't get me wrong - i realize this isn't easy with BT, and one-to-one is better than i thought it would be, but there are plenty of times you'd like to include all 4 riders in the discussion, and there's a rumor that a competitor has figured out how to do this.
    That's about it. Great product! I'm delighted to own Gen I... and looking fwd to Gen II someday.
  13. D-Mac

D-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this thread a few days ago and ordered a SENA.

It arrived today. For now, I have it paired with my old iPhone (3G) that has the newest OS installed. Easy to install and set up. I ordered the earbud kit as well, and it seems to work great too. With that option this thing has everything I was looking for....BT stereo, earbud, option, can override BT with a cable if needed, ability to charge it easily, and super cheap.

I plan to give it a good break-in this weekend (1200 miles in rain and cold). :clap
  14. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Sounds weird, Jim. Maybe a call to Sena tech support on 866-887-7362, option 2, and they can help sort it and possibly arrange for a replacement if need be.
  15. CoolCarbon

CoolCarbon Elsewhere, for now...

Oddometer:
    We get the exact same tapping noise with our two units....can't seem to find the cause though.... can become annoying after a while...

Anyone selling these able to help here please?
  16. CrazyBiker

CrazyBiker Fast N Smooth

Oddometer:
    I didn't read the webbikeworld review and this thread in detail and almost pulled the trigger on a G4 on ebay. Cancelled it and ordered the Sena t MrHit. Found a 5% coupon and got the dual kit for $246.99 shipped!
  17. Lujo

Lujo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another +1 for battery life. We just finished a 15-hour, ~825-mile 2-up ride. We had our Senas in talk mode for about 2/3 of the time, and they worked great throughout.
  18. RocketMoto

RocketMoto 2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer:
    Not an issue that we've seen - but if you'll contact Sena at support@senabluetooth.com or in the USA at 1 866.887.7362, option 2, they take care of the issue for you. If you purchased from us, and they don't resolve the matter pronto, please contact us directly at customerservice@rocketmoto.com and we'll jump on it in a jiffy.
  19. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    We had the same issue on and off on our trip. I did notice that it was happening when we were close to a large group antennas on a tower. Maybe it is some kind of RF interference.
  20. azytres79

azytres79 n00b

Oddometer:
    i just received a pair of sena's smh10, I ordered of cyclebots. great price and service, they ship the order the next day, the unit appears with minor scratches on the area of the led, caused by the speakers in the box, as you can see in the pic, the speakers came out of their place, and cause the scratches, not a big deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the installing was easy on my icon helmet, the speakers fit perfectly. i'm not goin to install the other unit now. i just tried the unit with mi nokia n 95 and my ipod it's work great