Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oRxHCfOfIeg?list=UUymbkCEyMPHrjoWBEgA7Lpw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  2. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    I'm going to an indoor fly-in Saturday night. It's in a big sports dome, can't wait!!

I dusted off the 4Site kit that I got about a year ago and started building it.. What a PITA!! But I hope it flies nicely :) I have all the electronics from planes passed so really not costing me anything..

[​IMG]
  3. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to find an indoor flying site here. I don't mind flying in the cold/snow, but the moisture has to mess with the motors even if they're doused in WD40.

Take pics...shoot vids...crash often and well. :evil
  4. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    The 4Site is done! Just in time for the aero-dome fly-in tomorrow night! :) If there's no wind tomorrow morning I'll maiden in my backyard.. If there is, I guess the maiden will be indoors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be bringing this, UMX Sbach, Mini Vapor, Ladybird quad, MCPXBL, NCPX, Hunter V-tail quad, and, I think that's it... :D
  5. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Maidened the 4Site.. Very nice!! Zero wind this morning so took it in my backyard . Flies very nice. Very slow even without the air brakes installed... I like it! Can't wait to try at the sports dome tonight.
  6. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Looks good. You should consider installing some side force generators for killer knife edge and KE spins.
  7. a65l

a65l Safeguarding our Precious Bodily Fluids. Supporter

Oddometer:
    And so it begins............

[​IMG]

That is a regular lumber yard there to be gone thru. The box must weigh 30 pounds.

[​IMG]

That's a whole bunch of die cut parts seperated from their sheets....

[​IMG]

And a whole lot of sticks and sheets to be sorted....

[​IMG]

I've got 4 of those to build..... and a monster of a fuselage.
  8. exc'ite

exc'ite n00b

Oddometer:
  9. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    bigziff - SFGs not needed! There is so much vertical surface area it's not needed.. It will knife-edge at walking pace! Had a lot of fun flying at the dome last night.. I'm going to put up a vid soon.

a65l = GOOD LUCK! hahaha.. Damn.. That's a lot of LUMBAH!

I've built a couple wood planes in my day. I love the way they fly, I hate building/repairing them!! Good luck!
  10. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Video from last night - this was my second flight with the 4Site so wasn't really going crazy.. Just flying.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7d6fLfq1msU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    If your 4Site still needs SFG's after that, then you might have a problem...
  12. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Yeah definitely not needed.. Actually the wing spars kind of act like SFGs.

I love that plane. Wish it wasn't breezy right now as I'd love to fly it off my back deck. Maybe I'll take out the Sbach.
  13. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jeez, and I'm trying to get psyched up to build an LT-40.
  14. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Looks like it flies nicely. Nothing like dead calm air with a foamie.

15. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    My father was a 1/4 scale builder and flier, I still have some kits for sale that he never built. Shoot me a pm if you are looking to buy some kits and odds and ends
  16. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Went to the new indoor track here. Taking pics of small, fast moving things in low light is difficult!

This one didn't turn out too bad tho.
    [​IMG]
  17. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    I have always been a surface guy (cars, trucks, boats) until I bought the Blade 350QX in the last couple of months. This third dimension is really screwing with me, so to save some money and heartbreak I bought the new RealFlight 7 yesterday to kind of get the hang of things. Anyone else use this one? Any good pointers for an air-n00b?
  18. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Don't crash? :lol3

Some tips you could use:

-Be gentle on the sticks. Overcompensating can get you into trouble real fast, and that is where most beginners make their mistakes.

-Helicopters have more difficulty hovering around down low. There is a ground effect happening from the rotor wash that you need to fly out of, usually it goes away after a foot or 2. Flying up closer to chest height is best.

-Try to avoid flying to the LVC. You can damage the batteries, and you might just damage the helicopter if you're flying high enough when it kicks in. Timing your flights is key. Time them with about a minute to spare to give yourself time to land.
  19. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    We're all gonna die!!

I was asking for tips on the simulator, something to get me going a bit faster. Even when I'm on the ground, the ground is coming up fast!!! :eek1
  20. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Not sure...it's going to be up to your aptitude. I'd start with using a chase camera view until you get used to the controls then move to learning controls when the aircraft is coming towards you.

Let me know..I'm going to sell my copy of Real Flight 6.5 with the control box and buy the software only version of the new one.