KTM 690E - All Things Suspension Related

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bigborefan, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mistake of assuming things instead of relly check. Forklegs on 690 is slightly tapered on topend, and I didn´t recall forks on me 640 adv. was that way, assuming that was the case on sx/exc modells.
    :loco
  2. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.

All the 48mm KTM fork legs have the same taper and fit the same triple clamps (54mm on top, 60mm on the bottom). The 950/990 forks as well, they just have a bit more overlap on the sliders.
    dooby likes this.
  3. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanx mate! :thumb
  4. FriedDuck

FriedDuck Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer:
    How does KTM World compare to someone like Superplush? Anyone have experience with both?

KTM World's local so they're definitely the easy path, but if I'm spending the money I want to do this right.

Anyone?
  5. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    I have not used either. I have heard nothing but good stuff about SPS. But if KTM World was in my backyard, I would have to weigh that pretty heavily.

I don't think the 690 fork is anything special, but the shock might be a bit of an oddball.

Have you priced out both shops?

This is interesting as well, try it before you buy it.

http://www.superplushsuspension.com/tryit.htm
  6. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just been in contact on GOR with Paul at KTMworld to ask about 690 suspension work. I wanted be sure they did in deed work on 690, because back when I was looking to get the 990 done they wanted nothing to do with it.:huh Thus I sent the forks to Superplush for the 990 work. Anyway the good news is that yes KTMworld will do work on the 690. However the great news is that Travis (their lead suspension/R&D tech) also rides a 690.:clap

Paul said their turn around time is typically 3 to 4 days. After the work I want them to set up/verify the sag before I leave with the bike. They will also let you check out their suspension work by test riding it in the park. At this point my tentative plan is to bring the bike up this week (if they can get me in). If you go to their web page there's more info:

http://ktmworld.com/ktm_suspension_services.asp

I know at the min that I will need springs, but I'm not sure if I really need to spend the money on their "Works Package". :huh
  7. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Why not go back to SuperPlush?
  8. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need go through the PIA hassle of shipping the forks/shock to SP. James won't be able to set my sag (or show me how to do it). Basicaly it's just nice to work with someone local (FOR ONCE!!!) who actually knows what to do.:clap
  9. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Totally agree, just wondering what your experience was.
  10. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    Travis must be the guy I meet in KY. Chris_D, give us a report after the work. I think your making the right choice, and that is not saying anything against SPS. You can go out and ride the bike immediately after the work. Maybe even get Travis to watch you ride. Plus you save on shipping, which is not cheap these days.
  11. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do!! :freaky
  12. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was finally able to get my new 2009 690R home yesterday. Had the dealer changed out the springs and set the sag for my considerable bulk of about 315#. Ride home was a little stiff so when I go it home read the manual and changed all the stock suspension settings to standard. I'm just getting back into dual sport riding after many years off, so not really worth sending it out for a re-valve yet, but would like to get the most out of the stock suspension. Can someone give me a little explanation and example of what to look for and how to adjust each setting? According to the manual the different settings are fork compression damping, fork rebound damping, shock low speed compression, shock high speed compression. I expect my riding to start out about 70% back road, 30% dirt/mild off-road and as mentioned above pretty well fully loaded with just me on it. Also I would be interested on suggestions for each setting as a starting point and maybe some suggestions for tire pressure. Thanks.
  13. Devil#1

Devil#1 Temptation Abounds

Oddometer:
    This is a good resource to help understand the terminology, methodology and goals of suspension set-up, tuning and design.

Read it BEFORE you blow the dough!

http://suspensiontuninghelp.moonfruit.com/#/suspension-basics/4511681555
    andresg and Redneck-Hippie like this.
  14. RacerXS

RacerXS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a really good tutorial.

I am in the process of trying to dial in the stock suspension for my size & riding style (200lb with riding gear, NJ pine barrens riding), i'm not ready to pony up the $$ for revalves, springs, etc. until I know I can't live with what the bike came with.

That being said, is there any good suggestions for setting up the stock suspension from people who have already gone down this road?

I basically have all the clickers front & rear, rebound and compression set to 12 out right now and have not really had a chance to put it through it's paces yet. Is this a good starting point?
  15. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to my reading of the manual, most of the factory settings are at 15 for standard with 10 for max load and 20 for comfort. One thing I haven't figured out yet is how respringing would affect these settings. For example, would you expect them to react the same regardless if the stock 80N/mm spring was installed or 100N/mm spring.

Another good reference I stumbled accross.

http://www1.enduroeng.com/storage/pdfs/Suspension_Guide-Dec23-LOWRES.pdf
  16. FinnDuro

FinnDuro Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer:
    The common issue I've heard from my 690 riding buddies is the harsh choppy feel of the standard 690E/R front end. Wears down your wrists, they say, and I would agree from the test rides I took.

Anyway, a couple of those guys swear on this DIY compression stack revalve:
    - remove the compression valve from the forks
    - measure the OEM comp stack shims, mark down the order, diameters and thickness of each shim
    - the magic: change all 0.15mm thick shims into 0.10mm thick shims, keeping otherwise same diameters and order
    - re-assemble and enjoy the plush ride
    andresg likes this.
  17. RacerXS

RacerXS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Finn, if I feel like it's too harsh I may go down that road.

I am more looking for peoples experience in adjusting rebound & compression.......does the 690 work better in general on the softest setting, harder setting, etc.

I know a lot of this is subjective & riding conditions, but much of it many people agree that certain setting work better than others.

I noticed that the PO had the shock rebound set to 20 clicks out, and almost everything else was 10......was that for a reason?

I completely understand that i'm only going to get so much out of the settings, but I want to do the best I can with what I got for now...
  18. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    That is exactly the way I feel about my 690e suspension . Feel every little annoying bump but it still bottoms out too easy on the big hits , so much that I have to slow down when I see a big g out coming & I`m only 85kg . I sold my 520 to get the 690 & I feel the 520 had far superior suspension . Maybe it`s something you can`t fix 100 percent because of the 2 inches less travel but I hope to get an improvement at some stage .
  19. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Will a 250mm long rear spring fit the 690R shock? (Coming from an EXC). I know its 30mm longer according to the books, but I haven't checked how much unused threads its there now.
  20. GS simp

GS simp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the 950/990 forks compare to the 690r ones lucas, can i change mine to say 950 adventure forks so i can have full adjustment.
    cheers steve