The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    im pretty sure you only have to take off the bottom 4 bolts to get at the radatior
  2. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Oh, and it does come with engine protection. Very sturdy sliders on each side that will support the bike in a fall. There is a video somewhere. I have nothing extra, just saying!
  3. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

The clutch switch mod is pretty amazingly effective, especially for the price. If you are too cheap for a fuse, a scrap of stripped wire will work to prove the concept.
  4. GoNotShow

GoNotShow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The mini fuse also increases the "hooligan" factor significantly. You've been warned. :D
  5. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

This ^^^ is exactly what a mechanically-inept dumbass, like me, needs...pitchers. :deal :lol3

Thanks, Mike. You score that RUMBUX set-up, yet?...

Yeah, I've been thinkin' about trying that. Thanks...

6. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good suggestion for battery tender routing? Yeah, I could figure it out myself, but a major reason for getting this bike was no time to waste in the garage..quicker to go in with a plan :deal
  7. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    it mutes that annoying poor fueling between 3000/4000 +/- rpm but it does NOT eliminate it. Throttle response however is improved and very enjoyable.
  8. jub jub

jub jub frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your opinion. Sounds like you really like the bike and appreciate the bike for what it's designed for. I'm really wanting to jump on the one at the local Yami dealer, but can't quite pull the trigger. I don't know what I'm waiting for? Ugh, what to do?
  9. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem. And the bars are being built as we speak! Plus I got the built in 'clip-nuts' to make oil changes even easier, and they're en route too! I'm pumped, I go on a weekly dual sport ride on my WRR, and with just a few tweaks I think the Tenere will handle most of it, so that skid plate is going to get a heck of a workout.
  10. 1reddawg

1reddawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    AWSOME Video goldie05!!I cant wait to get up to alasaka & B.C. next year!!:clap:clap
  11. jub jub

jub jub frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the fueling problem has been addressed for the 13s? :ear
  12. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

Actually, Jubby, I don't think it's something they're gonna' be able to "address"; not completely, at least.

At this point in time, all over the world, the emissions standards seem to be getting higher, and harder to reach.

On bikes with a ride-by-wire system (like the ST), the movement of your throttle hand is monitored several times per second. The human hand is not consistent enough to maintain the emissions standards at low RPMs. So, the ride by wire does the work for us; allowing these big bikes to "make the grade", so-to-speak.

What your hand is doing, and what the ride-by-wire system is communicating to the bike, are two different things. That is what gives the on/off, "light switch" feeling to the throttle.

Is there a chance that Yamaha overdid it, and can smooth it out a bit? Sure. But, as far as completely ridding the bike of it, a non-OEM (aftermarket) reflash is probably the answer (in my humble opinion). If Yamaha does smooth it out a bit, at the factory level, it would be nice for them to offer a reflash to the current owners.

Many (magazine columnists, writers, owners, test riders, etc.) have complained of this issue. Is Yamaha listening? Well, they were the only Japanese manufacturer to have the sack to build this bike in the first place...

13. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

You've peaked my interest, with this. I have seen where you take your bike, without the plate. So, I can only imagine where you're gonna' go with it. And, I'm interested to see how it handles your style of riding...

14. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks to be the typical Yamaha paint color change for model year differences.
    Just do the clutch switch mod and there is less on/off response.
  15. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    If abrupt lower-end throttle response is the issue, the clutch switch mod makes it worse, not better. The main reason most folks like the mod is that it makes the throttle "snappier" and eliminates the slight bog the stock bike has off idle as you clutch away from a start.

- Mark
  16. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    Somehow I've learned to ride around it where it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. It's there, no doubt, but I can deal with it without issue. I guess I've kind of reprogrammed myself instead of the bike.
  17. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  18. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil:evil
  19. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly my experience. I have 5K on my bike with the switch mod and I can put it in "Super S" mode anytime I please. I find I use it less and less - while slightly slower in throttle response, I think overall the motor is easier to ride in S rather than Super S. There IS the slight bog off idle that is helped in Super S, but like you, I've just re-programmed my clutch away habits to hold throttle and clutch for a half-second and let the motor climb out of the hole. Except for clutching away from a start, I never notice it otherwise. It's a non-issue for me, although I'm sure it can be a bug-a-boo to others.

- Mark