Ysr50?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wickedsprint, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    I'd check to see what the local racing opportunities would be. If there's a local group running these things regularly, I think it would be a blast.

If there's not much local action and you're still looking for a small-displacement playtoy, you might want to consider a Zuma or Super9...that way you've got a racer, playtoy, and a viable commuter/errandbike--which would give you your money's worth out of it.
  2. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you are here in texas

check out

http://www.tmgps.8k.com/

here is me trying to look like I am racing

turn 5 at Oak Hill tmgp cmra crossover

[​IMG]
  3. Duke61

Duke61 Dangerman

Oddometer:
    Have a YSR50 Too. We go down to Suches,Ga every year for what they call the "Isle Of Grits".They close off the whole town and allow ysr's,nsr's,ect. to race around the town. It's like the Isle of Man. Check out Calamari Racing for some good items on Ysr's.
  4. Photog

Oddometer:
    :poser "Isle of Grits" :thumb :thumb :thumb

love it.
  5. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    some of my old ysr budds are down in Fla now.

Ben Spies (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:37.558
    John Haner (Suz GSX-R1000), 1:41.423
    Ryan Andrews (Hon CBR600RR), 1:42.283
    Tyler McDonald (Yam YZF-R6), 1:44.990
    Will Gruy (Yam YZF-R6), 1:45.586
    Logan Young is there too I just don't know his times.

then there was this group that used to come down from Ky all the time but quit just as I was starting. The last time I saw Ben race a scooter was about 3 years ago.

Also this guy Edwards will come out and offer the whole group a chance to go over to his track and race.
  6. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Went and looked at it today, bike had 2550 miles and was very rough and had actually been sitting for 5 years not 2, rust in gas tank..roetten fuel smell..rust on frame wheels swingarm etc..bike was very very rough, clutch acted seized up, front tire flat..missing some body panels, although the engine would turn over so it is salvageable as possibly a racer or parts bike. Looks like I will be looking at a Zuma.
  7. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    parts are starting to get a little harder to find. In the tmgp they have changed the rules so there is no ysr class any more. Now one will race against the nsr 50 almost 2x the horse power. Many of the frames now have xr 100 motors or cr, rm, kx 60-85cc. Some class you will be racing against 85cc engines in rs or tz frames.
    Last time I visited my kid I looked on his work bench and he was putting together some weird frame with a asian knock off motor in it, for those races.
  8. Photog

Oddometer:
  9. BCguy

BCguy Super Slabber

Oddometer:
    In Canada here we have YSR 80's which gives a nice little grunt compared to the 50. Yup you can pretty much fit any small block in there.
    Another place to check out is a new site. www.dinkybike.com

[​IMG]
  10. Motomech

Motomech Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer:
    In the 1990, I took an intrest in mini racing, but didn't want to race a YSR. So I bought a new NS50 and tried to race with the local YSR club(in S. Cali.). They started me in the modified class, so.....I proceeded to build the first(as far as I know) liquid-cooled mini-racer in the States.
    Eng. mods included:
    KX 60 piston(w/ the NS crank, this worked out to be 57cc)
    Modified cyl. head and cyl.(ported)
    Ign.(internal rotor type), reed block and and transimmsion from an air-cooled CR80.
    Various carbs were used, but for most tracks, a PKW flatside(a 26 m/m, I think)worked best.
    The pipe was custom hydro-formed.
    This eng. made around 15 h.p. @ 15,000 r.p.m. and top speed was in the 75 to 80 m.p.h. range!(clocked on radar @ 76 m.p.h. going up the up-hill straight at the Streets of Willow track)
    But, while it was fast, the chasis and brk.s left a lot to be desired.
    I built a fat wheel(10") chasis using the stock frame(with the tripple trees reversed) and a very rare alum. gas tank from a YZ125X. I don't remember the exact details of the frt. brk., but recall using parts from a YZ80 and perhaps a disc from the mechanical disc brk. CB200. It was crashed beyond repair at the "World Mini Series" at Reno in '92 or '93.
    Next was a Big Wheel, frt. disc brk. model using tires from the frt. of the Honda RS 125 road racer(generiously donated by Rodney Fee). These tiny slicks were so small that they looked like intertubes on the rims. With this bike, everything clicked and in the hands of better riders than me, was competitive in the '80 class. Even with me on board in the modified 60cc class, if I could keep the frt. runners in sight, I always had a chance. The Air-cooled YSR's always lose power thru the course of a race, where the liquid-cooded NS didn't.
    Sometime in the mid '90's, I got rear-ended by a novice and at 45 yr.s old, wasn't healing too fast, so I parked it. Lasat I heard, the bike was parked in a barn in Tombstone Az.
    In 5 yr.s of steady racing, I used two top-ends(after I burned up a few dialing the motor in) and two bottom ends. Amazing.