2013 Honda CBR500R and CB500F

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, to start: The frame is designed to handle higher-speed road stresses, not dirt. I don't know all of the details, but street frames are quite a bit heavier than enduro frames (and have real rear subframes and pegs for a passenger - even if you never carry one). Then, street wheels are wider, heavier alloy; the rotors and calipers are heavier, too, to resist fade at highway speed. Gas tanks are metal, electrical systems, batteries, and lighting systems are larger, more sophisticated and add weight.

Lot's of this stuff is mandated by DOT regulations. Overall weights are up quite a bit. KTM 350-EXC-F weighs 255 lbs. wet; Duke 390 weighs 324 lbs. wet. Difference is ~70 lbs.

Many of these same issues apply to the weight differences between an enduro and a dual-sport. For example, lots of folks complain about the weight of the WR250R at 298 lbs. wet, or the WR250X at 302 lbs. wet. (The DRZ falls into this category, with low-tech (e.g. heavier) components.) These dual sports meet all of the DOT regs for street bikes. KTM street-legal enduros meet the minimum regs too, but without the electrical systems and the subframe support. Call them race bikes or call them "dual sport light". It is all a continuum. Pick your desired performance envelope and pony up!
  2. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    If it revs freely (like the old CB500) it will be fun, but if it's kinda slow (like a Ninja 250R) it's going to feel laboured.

The Versys I owned spun-up pretty fast, which went a long way to compensating for a relative lack of bhp.
  3. Honesty

Honesty n00b

Oddometer:
    The saying is: fast, cheap, reliable - pick two.

The Honda CB500 is cheap and reliable.
  4. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    I agree, if it revs freely, that will take care of it.
  5. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    It sounds very much like my ninja 650 did, and it should sound like that
    since it's the same engine setup. The problem is most aftermarket exhaust
    actually make it sound worse in my opinion, thin and "screamy".

I only liked the Akrapovic and Arrow on the 650R, and only up to about
    half the revs, then, again, it goes bad.

If you don't like the way this thing sounds look at the NC700, they've got
    a completely different note and sound very deep stock.
  6. Stealth Rider

Stealth Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds really mean with this pipe on it! >:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZR2kXLELFc&hd=1"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZR2kXLELFc&hd=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZR2kXLELFc&hd=1
  7. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

That was horrid!
  9. kaput13

kaput13 gasoholic

Oddometer:
    In order to get a real sense of what it might sound like like you'd have to be onboard rowing through the gears but at idle and unloaded throttle this sounds very, very annoying. Only good for the aftermarket. :1drinkstock Ninja 300 sounds much better.
  10. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ninja 250/500s sound like a propane powered forklift at low RPMs, thankfully the 300 isn't cursed with that. Effectiveness comes first but the blatting and scooterish sounds do get irritating on the older twins.

Thunka-thunka-thunka.
  11. Stealth Rider

Stealth Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go ahead and post ones you think sound better of similar model...
  12. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    More and more, with higher costs of living, I'm thinking these bikes are the future.

If you do 2,000 miles a year, sunny w/e's, posing with mates, enjoying the power of big bikes, then maybe you won't get it.

And that's perfectly OK.

But if you do big miles, want to see your country or continent, and stay within a blue collar budget, you might need these bikes.

Any two-wheels is better than no two-wheels.

I've owned a CBR1100XX, a couple of BMW GS's, and a dozen bikes in between. I love big torque..

But huge cost-of-living rises are forcing me to downsize. I'll give up some bhp and torque just to continue my love of motorcycles, and travel on 2-wheels.

YMMV.
  13. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was daydreaming the other day about how long a set of good dual-compound sport touring tires would last on 50hp, since they I can get 15k mi front/ 10k mi rear out of a bike with 100hp...

Less is more, sometimes. I miss running a bike to redline in four gears, legally. If my GF's CX500C is any indication, I could not only get by, but have fun. :ricky
  14. Gham

Gham tritagonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmJloJfw7iA

I hope this works,this sounds better to me although having recorded before I understand how much sound equipment can have an effect on quality.
  15. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    you are right on.

A buddy of mine decided he wanted a Harley. He didn't want to ride a "rice burner" any more. So he sold his big Suzuki and saved his pennies for 6 years until he finally could by a softtail. Not me. I wouldn't give up 6 years of riding for a softtail. I will ride what I can afford.

:lol3
  16. Honesty

Honesty n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there an official wet weight on these little things yet? I'm heavily considering getting rid of my NT650 for one.

If it weighs around 350 or 370 then I just might pull the trigger. I'd like to get rid of carburetors... Plus this bike's peak figures seem to be pretty inline with my Hawk's tbh. I know my engine is bigger but it's a 25-year-old bike now. :(
  17. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    2003+ SV650. 364lbs dry. 71 peak RWHP. Fuel Injection.
  18. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    CB500F is supposed to be 420 wet including a full 4 gal tank.

For comparison, Wiki says your NT650 is 412 wet with a 3 gal tank.

So, comparable. In fact, a gallon of gas is about six pounds, so they are damn near identical.
  19. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only street twin in the US today that's 378 lbs. wet is the new Ninja EX300R.

New Duke 690 Thumper weighs 352 lbs. wet.
  20. Honesty

Honesty n00b

Oddometer:
    Ugh, does the SV650 really make that much power? Sheesh... I thought the Hawk was pretty close to that but I guess I was dead wrong. The SV really is an awesome little bike. Might actually bump it up above these new CBs now that I think about it.

Hmm, this has me thinking it wouldn't be much of a step forward so much as sideways. I'm in love with the CBR500's styling though.

I like the Duke a lot as far as the numbers go, but I'd have to ride it first. Not crazy about the engine configuration. :\