Introducing the TardMo

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Roadracer_Al, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    JD, thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm chalking up most of the difference to dirty aerodynamics -- the fairing was broken off the bike, and there is nothing except the headlight shell. Throw in soft luggage hanging out in the breeze, and my big carcass on top, and I'm sure it makes a brick look sleek.

I do believe that getting the EFI mapped better will result in an improvement as well -- it's a bit soft on the roll-on at highway speed.

Oh, and I forgot to mention 2 mechanical issues - the waterpump seal leaks, and under full-throttle acceleration the clutch slips slightly. I doubt that it's slipping at highway pace, but I could be wrong.
  2. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    I saw this in Berkeley, maybe get the guy to build you something slippery, he has some mad metal bumping skills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Andronico's parking lot on Telly.

You've done a great job on your build! hope to see it around town. :thumb :thumb

** those 3M button connectors are used by the phone company, check the sizing, 17/20awg 22/26awg 19/27awg etc. tiny thin wire.
  3. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Interesting! Looks like a Ducati under that nice sheet metal work.

A friend of mine did a class in sheet metal forming at The Crucible with none other than Evan Wilcox (very well known in Brit Bike circles for aluminum tanks). Maybe our perpetrator was a fellow student.
  4. jake28

jake28 Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer:
  5. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Seeking to be the worlds fastest Monster ?
  6. Z3n

Z3n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing this shape up! I'll be local to you soon too, this thread is like a who's who of ADV/BARF crossover. :lol3
  7. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Update time... I've actually been using the Ninja quite a bit for long rides. I even took it to a track day down at Horse Thief Mile @ Willow Springs to teach the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic -- I got to ride two sessions, it behaved pretty darn well for a bike with dead stock budget suspension.

I also took it to Pikes Peak last year, and did a little more than 3k miles on that trip alone. The new rack for the Pelican case luggage rocked! On the way home, I crossed the Bonneville Salt Flats in about a 50 mph headwind, and swore I'd not ride the bike again until it had a fairing.

A friend had a GSXR aftermarket fiberglass replacement fairing that was surplus to his needs, and it came equipped with an HID headlight. I trimmed it down and whipped up a bracket for it. Big improvement in the wind management on the highway - it's quite comfortable now.

Regarding the TardMo project, I got a basket case (literally, the thing is in a zillion pieces) Ducati ST3 that had been in a garage fire -- I'm switching horses to the Ducati for dual sport conversion before I ruin a perfectly nice street bike.

The Ninja is up for sale now to make room in the garage, I'll post it in the Flea Market shortly.

Here's a picture of it as it stands now.

[​IMG]
  8. Roadracer_Al

Oddometer:
    Ad is up in the Flea Market. Bumped for a lower price, $2700.