950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:

It can be done, I saw a photo of someone putting two self tappers in and using the heads to pull it out, don’t go to deep as you will damage the bearing seal. I’d be tempted to make 4 small holes with an owl and thread some wire though and out, so two loops and pull it out.
  2. wilso122

wilso122 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. whitehaven

whitehaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [ I also was notified by PM that there have been some premature failures 2/2 to thin hardening process in the shaft ] are you referring to the cj designs shaft, I purchased mine last month but have yet to fit.
    when did you purchase yours and what do you mean by 2/2 and is the problem fixed,what have they informed you about it.
    I have mine booked in next week to have the kit fitted but if there is a problem with the shaft I will cancel.thanks
  4. GoinRidin

GoinRidin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "2/2" is my abbreviation for "secondary". I don't know anything about it more than I reported... I'm sure it's been fixed. I was just told that there was a shaft that failed early. But flaws happen. ..it wasn't the case with mine. It's an easy fix. Just change yours and if fluke chance it happens im sure cj will replace shaft if it's a shaft failure. Don't sweat it. I wouldn't think twice to install a cj designs shaft again now.
  5. GoinRidin

GoinRidin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to improve my lighting and would like aux lights. Have yall found a good way to Mount them that is secure and protected and doesnt hinder? I think the only option is the fork mounts right? I'd rather not do HID conversion but I was thinking some of the led spots.

Any input or pics of your solution are appreciated. Thx
  6. randel

randel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mounted Sanjoh's Model60 leds directly to front fender right before forks using small bolt and washers. Only had to drill small holes through fender to mount them. I'm quite happy with this setup, lights are neatly located both side of the headlight.
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Afternoon gents

Our running temps sitting on 5 bars here in Mexico when riding about 60 70 km/hr because of traffic, drops back to 4 bars once we hit 90 km/hr or so but takes a while, will add we are riding in 35 deg c about 95 f.

This considered ok?

When we got into Apatzingan it was 40 c and we were idling at lights for 10 - 15 minutes in town, temp got to 6 bars then the fuel pump squirted some gas out looks like from an overflow so I shut her off for a while.

Anyone else had the fuel squirt thing go on?

Now we just turn her off at the lights so she doesn't keep building temperature.

Please let me know on the above, cheers all.
  8. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer:
    Ya mean that little tube coming off the top of the stock pump?.... That'd be bad. That's where the points are located... Which Spark.
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    To be honet I am not sure, I thought it was from there but it may have come from higher which would be carbs then.

Seeing the petrol piss out I shut her off rather than watch it ... for obvious reasons :D
  10. Crowley

Crowley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the it stop immediately after you stopped the engine?

What fuel tank do you have on the bike?
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yes it did no worries there.

Running 30L Safari so suspect the flow is not as good.
  12. Crowley

Crowley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have one of those one way valves on your fuel cap or do you have the overflow pipe?

When it leaked did you open the fuel cap?
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Got a one way valve on the fuel cap, soon as I shut her off I released the cap, no pressure or vacuum at all.

Seems fuel was squirting down from under the LHS of the tank, my airbox bottom drain tube is not there, could the petrol have bubbled out from a carb and with the fans on it might have sprayed it a bit?

Not a biggy really, I have noted it so will keep an eye on it if she gets warm, will just turn her off while sitting at lights in the heat.
  14. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the little oring around the fuel sensor has let go.

It has done exactly the same to me with the safari tank in the heat due to expansion. Just go to a hardware store and get a slightly enlarged oring.

15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Ok, sounds like that could be it, not having had the SE very long I am still unfamiliar with it and finding my way around it so where would I find the fuel sensor? ..

Many thanks Andi
  16. Crowley

Crowley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What Hodgo says +1

Also throw that little valve thingy away as its the cause for the fuel leak. At high temperatures and slow speed the combined heat does pressurize the tank a bit. If you stick to the original pipe setup it never happens but the fuel will run out if the bike is on its side.

You don't have to replace the O ring immediately but it is a good idea to do it when you can.You can also seal it additionally with some gasket sealant to improve the seal - look for a fuel resistant one.
    Also keep an eye on the fuel hose as it comes out of the fuel tank at the bottom on the Safari tank. They are quite close to the brace and sometimes they will rub and eventually start leaking. Not a big problem just something to remember when you see fuel pissing out.
  17. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    Doing valves on my SE again, just wondering if there is any need to re-torque the head bolts like the older ADV models?
  18. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first post here on this thread, one of many, as I've just joined the SE crowd.
    I've owned an Adv R for almost two years, and known since early days I'd "bought the wrong bike"
    Just purchased a SE, finally, and have a few questions....

First, my old Adventure....
    [​IMG]

Questions:
    What Adventure parts fit the 950?
    Difference in maintenance?
    Any must do additional things apply? Bear in mind I had an extremely tricked out AdvR....

Highlights, weird phrasing as I've nicked this from it's advert....

[*]High front fender<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

[*]Custom fork protectors<o:p></o:p>

[*]No passenger footpegs<o:p></o:p>

[*]GPS mount (the proper one that continues below the dash for strength)<o:p></o:p>

[*]Power outlet within the dash<o:p></o:p>

[*]Suspension from a super-tall 2008 S front and back (this strangely makes the bike taller than any of any year that I have seen, including the 2010 AdvR)<o:p></o:p>

[*]Axle puller<o:p></o:p>

[*]Rust-free wheels/spokes (with part worn Conti TrailAttacks)<o:p></o:p>

[*]Heated grips with very trick switch (part of OEM controls)<o:p></o:p>

[*]Anodised rear top-plate rack<o:p></o:p>

[*]1st and 2nd gear unlimiting mod<o:p></o:p>

[*]SAS removed and blanking plates<o:p></o:p>

[*]Oxygen sensors removed, terminating plugs and blanking bolts fitted<o:p></o:p>

[*]Recent oil, valves, air filters - major service (done by me, as I'd not let a dealer around London touch the bike)<o:p></o:p>

[*]Bearings serviced, head bearings were ok, replaced front wheel bearings and swingarm bearings about 1,000 miles ago<o:p></o:p>

[*]Dubious stickers... ;) <o:p></o:p>

[*]Cut down screen<o:p></o:p>

[*]3mm holes drilled in swingarm (great mod to release water)<o:p></o:p>

[*]New (400 miles) chain (expensive gold link one) and new F&R sprockets, both OEM size<o:p></o:p>

[*]2008 S centre stand, to accommodate additional height from suspension<o:p></o:p>

[*]Obviously all the OEM parts are included in a box

[*]Akrapovic single exhaust with 2 into 1 link pipe<o:p></o:p>

[*]Massively LOUD Seibel air-horn fitted into side cowling<o:p></o:p>

[*]0.64 stiffer springs in forks<o:p></o:p>

[*]GiT bashplate<o:p></o:p>

[*]Black stainless steel radiator guard, great quality not the utter crap KTM one<o:p></o:p>

[*]Chunky & bigger orange alloy footpegs<o:p></o:p>

[*]Camel-toe side stand thingy <o:p></o:p>

[*]Handmade left side tool tube

[*]Brand new lowered geared F&R sprockets<o:p></o:p>

[*]Upgraded side-stand return springs<o:p></o:p>

[*]CJ Racer see-thru Titanium clutch cover<o:p></o:p>

[*]Oberon clutch slave and alloy spacer<o:p></o:p>

[*]HDB handguards<o:p></o:p>

[*]KTM 20mm handle bar risers<o:p></o:p>

[*]Blackdog side stand relocate<o:p></o:p>

[*]Steering dampener (Rallemoto)<o:p></o:p>

[*]2nd right hand radiator fan and lower temp plug