XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    Get Hodakaguy's tank brace for the Acerbis tank. Look in vendors, I think he made another batch. I use it for all the tanks, stock to Acerbis!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  2. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:

Those upper bolts are a pain in the ass. Pretty much takes guessing work to line them up. I've now come accustomed to using a torch to check the holes.

I doubt you would be able to get the plug out with them on. Honestly, I have not even noticed that.

Be prepared that if you are fully fueled on the 6.6, that shes a REAL heavy pig. I did not think Id notice it, but it is really noticeable, but only when full. I run half full when im playing, or swap back to my Clarke 18l.
  3. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As someone who JUST did this last month, here is the routine.

There are mounting issues with the Unibikers. I was not able to get either of the 2 lower bolts to line up and go in. The brackets that Acerbis sells with the tank are utter shit. Throw them in the trash and buy one of the Tanker Braces that Hodaka sells. Not only does everything line up easy and well, it also has two other big pluses.

1) it is one piece and super sturdy. Installing the 2 piece brace that comes with it is a total pain.

2) the tanker brace is narrowed at the area it mounts to the frame, this allows you to easily use the factory bolt.

Now onto the fitment tips...

You will cuss, and get totally frustrated the first few times. It honestly gets easier and easier each time you do it. I'd say I've had mine on and off maybe 30 times over the last month doing odds and ends.

Run all wires UNDER the backbone or as close to it as possible. My tank seemed very narrow and I could not even get it close to where it wanted to fit until I relocated everything under the backbone.

I also found it to be a bit of a chore to get the 2 upper bolts in, the right side pretty much goes right in and its a straight shot. I install this one first to locate it. The upper left on the other hand (by the thermostat) seems to be a pain. For whatever reason, the hole is cut about a half inch too high, and you cant get a good straight shot on it with a normal extension. After that one is in i move back to the right side again and run that in, followed by the left. Then I go back and tighten them all up.

I hated the tank for a while, but i'm comfortable with it now.
  4. sunnybandit

sunnybandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BREAKING NEWS! 140 K60 Heidenau fits on XRR!

Thanks!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

MSE mobile
  5. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    Grind some taper on the end of the tank bolts, makes starting easier.
    Someone makes billet mounts to replace the plastic mounts under the tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  6. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. This is going to be my next tire. Looking for something a bit less knoblie and aggressive than my 908RR.

I'm running a 140 908 and have noticed a polished area on the linkage. Perhaps a bit of rub, but nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers,

Jason
  7. sunnybandit

sunnybandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine has the same thing. At least for mine the culprit is the dang mud flap. Slowing getting eaten by chain, tire, and linkage.
    The guy at bmw said I could get well over 10kmi on these. ??

MSE mobile
  8. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. I wish I used those on my trip. Love the Desert IT's, but I did highway sections that these would have lasted much, much longer.
  9. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

But will they fit at 90MPH?
  10. sunnybandit

sunnybandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What are you insinuating? My bike only goes 110 and very rarely at that. Its not to pinched on the rim (think xrr is 3.75 and k60 is ment for 4 inch rim). Anyway, the tire has a VERY stiff bead/sidewall , again not sure what you mean butt you got my attention. Is that a newb jab or you know something? So far it works fine.

MSE mobile
  11. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I believe he's referring to tire growth at higher speeds. The outside diameter of the tire increases with speed, reducing (or eliminating) the clearance at the swingarm/linkage.
  12. sunnybandit

sunnybandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea thats sort of what I figures. But in that case it would rub the link and prob clear the swingin arm even better. Id like to ad there is great clearance on chain and swing arm. Ill post some snaps after a few hundred miles. Im done thinking about it for now. Ride time :)

MSE mobile
  13. FlyGuy

FlyGuy MachineHead

Oddometer:
    I was wondering where your axle is in relation to the swing arm axle slots?
    That tire looks proper for the rim from what I can see but the stock rim is a 18 x 2.15. not that it matters, as long as it works good is all Id care.
    Where did you get it? Where are you located?
    Looking forward to your ride report. so go log some miles.
  14. FlyGuy

FlyGuy MachineHead

Oddometer:
    OK I finally did the adventure touring /party conversion and I like it.
    At first I was taken back at how ugly it is but its kinda growing on me
    Its like a badass KLR or something?
    I had to add stickers to compensate for the uglyness, now I can ride in public

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now the best part Its a efficient cooler, Nothing like a cool one out in the middle of nowhere
    [​IMG]
  15. slickwill

slickwill Exhiled

Oddometer:
    You're probably too rich overall and PO compensated with an incorrect needle setting which has your mid-range screwed up now. My bike had a 102mm piston and a HUGE custom cam. With that setup I ran a 192 main and on the dyno at 1000ft the A/F ratio was perfect.
  16. ride4fun562

ride4fun562 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    [​IMG]

Also fuck you to valves especially that one ugly one
    [​IMG]
  17. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all those who gave me a bit of advice on the XR650R a few pages back.

I'm now the proud owner of a 2006 BRP with 4k miles on the clock. It's had loads of care and frequent servicing all by a guy who just bumbled around some local lanes. Engine never stressed.

It's had the airbox opened and de-corked etc., and other than that it is pretty much stock - which was a lot of the appeal of this one. It won't remain stock for too long, but I want them to be my mods not someone else's! :D

I pick it up tomorrow :clap :1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

I am insinuating that it looks really close and it may end up like the MT43 on the other thread that started to rub at speed. It does look like a little rub on the linkage, but it may just be a shadow. I would only worry about damaging the tire in any case.

Is that a 3.75 rin you are running?
  19. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:

What happened? I see some cylinder damage, but not sure what I am looking at with the valvles.

Whenever people post pictures of the inside of their engine it is never good.
  20. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always wonder how people know the mileage on a bike that doesn't come with an ODO or battery, etc....

It always appears to be new buyers stating mileage. I'd take that with a grain of salt.

For the bike above, why was the side cover sanded down?