Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Well for chords you can look them up inline or get a chord book. For fingering it's really up to the player. What's easiest to do while taking into consideration what the next note is so you don't have to much too much. You can also learn some tricks by looking for how-to's on youtube. Think of it as a cheat of sorts. :lol3
  2. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    Hrmm i'm not expressing it well... I'm talking single note picking.

An indication of say... Index finger 5th fret. I find myselfmstarting a series of notes with my index finger, and then trying to twist my hand into a knot, where i wouldn't have if i had started with my ring finger.
  3. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    Well, you can do whatever is easier. There are no set rules.

You might consider asking in the Guitar thread since Rocksmith bridges between the two.
  4. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I just kinda sorta got a free xBox with Kinect!

Longer version... A few years ago I had bought a pretty decent GPS for my wife to use in her car. For some unknown reason I bought the 4 year warranty as well (I rarely buy extended warranties, they often are a waste of money). Well, 3 years and 11 months later the GPS will not work anymore. So I took it back to Best Buy where I had bought it expecting to have to get another GPS. I picked one out, but before getting it I just happened to ask the CSR if I had to get another GPS, or if I could get anything of "equal or lessor value". Really, I do not need a stand alone GPS in the car anymore. Google Maps works perfectly fine off my phone. Luckily, after speaking with the manager they said I could get anything! So, since my old first generation 360 got the RRoD about 6-8 months back, I picked up a new slim model with Kinect!

Now to reactivate my xBox Live account...
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I mentioned Sandy Bridge specifically.

The Sandy Bridges handle overclocking far better than the Ivy Bridge do, the Ivy bridge is a fantastic MOBILE chip, for gaming applications and heavy crunching Sandy Bridge will outperform it assuming you aren't afraid to overclock.
  6. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    The first one is built by an enthusiast who likes having the latest and greatest and is upgrading. It's a decent computer and with it OC'ed should stay at the relevant for a while. Too much RAM can be a bad thing as it can slow your computer down if you're not able to use it all. 6-12GB is what's considered optimal for gaming. You also have to consider the type of RAM it is. Value RAM is dirt cheap and slow. The Gamer stuff are usually more expensive but depending on what the exact specs are price will vary a lot. The SSD drive is nice and has really gone mainstream. There are some things to consider buy overall they're really nice to have. 24" monitor could be OK but I'm gonna guess it's a cheaper one. Dell's Ultra Sharp is probably one of the best in it's price-range but they're not cheap. Also, there is no mention of the motherboard which really comes into play if you're OC'ing. The video cards are good but not the best. They're mid-range but should be good for most games. The 500 series has been replaced by the 600 series. It's a good card but most worth more then $250-300 new. If you're spending that much, you'll want to know everything about that computer so as you're not getting screwed.

The second listing is so vague. Either he doesn't know what he has or is trying to be as vague as possible about it. CPU speeds mean nothing unless you state what is it. You can buy a new computer that can play games OK for $500. For more dedicated gaming, you'll probably have to spend more coin.

Keep in mind though, if you buy a more expensive rig, it will stay current longer which can save you money over the long term. The use of premium parts will give you more room to squeeze more speed out of other components. Having a really fast computer is no good if you have a bottle neck somewhere. OC'ing really depends on a good selection of parts. I'll buy the next lossleader and OC when I have to finally upgrade. Going this route gets you the best clock speed per dollar you can find. I'd never spend $1000 for a Extreme Edition Intel when I can spend $300 on a lossleader which can be OC'ed faster then the EE.
  7. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    I finished Rage yesterday. That was a decent game. I originally thought it was five or so years old, so thought it was really good for being that "old". When I realized it was barely a year old, it lost a couple good game points from me. :lol3

Next game my dealer pushed on me is Bioshock. About three hours of time in to the game so far, and still no love for it yet. Of course Skyrim took me nearly eight hours before things seemed to click for me, so I'll still spend a few more days playing with it before I move on. Next in the queue is Oblivion. Yes, I'm going backwards I know, but I just started this video gaming thing last year. I still don't see anything on the new release schedule that looks interesting. :waysad
  8. SJSharkfan

SJSharkfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Halo 4 out 11/6.:2guns

Who's getting it?:y0!
  9. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.

I tried Oblivion a few months before Skyrim, and I really tried to like it but the interface was clunky and combat was kind of....stilted. Much less fluid than Skyrim.

I'm sure going back to it now after playing Skyrim for so long my opinion will not change much. Skyrim just grabbed me from the get-go. The archery mechanics in particular are some of the best I've seen in ANY game, and the slow motion kill shots are awesome....archery, sword, axe, etc.
  10. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Have you tried borderlands 1 and 2 yet? Cartoonish graphics, but better game play and character development compared to rage. I finished rage in 17 hours, borderlands is 35 to 45 hours per character. Online play even with strangers is a blast and makes it very replayable.

There were too many pages to back check to see if i had recogmended this to you before. JCR2000 on playstaion.
  11. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    Never played it. I don't play online. I like the open roam type play of skyrim and fallout.
    Rage was a little too controlled play as far as how they told you what to do when.I find the call of duty games when you have a path twenty feet wide you have to follow suck.
    I'll look in to border lands.
  12. DNFjoe

DNFjoe Did Not Finnish

Oddometer:
    Borderlands is way more open world than rage or corridor shooters like COD. You can have multiple side quests open. I never played online before borderlands.
    I mostly solo play, but lately i have joined other peoples games to buff up my character. Each character has 3 skill trees you can dvelope, so you can replay the same character with different skills and have it play differently. I was stuck in finks slaughterhouse and needed to open my solo game to public play to clear the 4 th and 5 th waves. That is cool to have the option. I enjoyed fallout 3, bioshock, and fear 2, prior to borderlands. I tried killzone3 but did not get into it. I also tried resistance 2 or 3 and lost interest quickly. Team play really grew on me with borderlands. 2 buddies i used to work with each had it and we got into coop play through the entire story line. It is cool to get healedid battle!
  13. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Anyone playing Assassins Creed III?

I like the Revolutionary War setting and that's the main reason I got it. Never played AC before. Controls are odd, confusing and documentation is lacking. Firing guns is awkward. I hope with time I will master the controls.

Also don't like how many interruptions there are in gameplay (when the screen goes white). Really chops up the story. I also don't like when the character climbs stuff you don't want him too.

The world they have created is amazing though. Deep snow effects are great. Story is good and will probably make more sense the 2nd play through, for me at least. I don't really get all the time travel/memories/sync stuff that links all the Assassin's Creed games together. And to be honest I don't really care. It probably could be just a good Revolutionary War era action game without all the time travel stuff.

Can't wait for the naval battles!
  14. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:

:wave

It'll be here, tomorrow.
  15. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    isn't it really halo 7? :deal
  16. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    ODST wasn't exactly "Halo".

[​IMG]
  17. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    You would really like Borderlands. Like he said, it's way open. 2 was better than 1. What I like about Skyrim is that you can walk 20-30 seconds in any direction and have some sort of encounter. :huh
  18. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Skyrim is just a time sinkhole, borderlands is bad like that but the missions can end quickly. Skyrim you're in it for the long haul.
  19. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    When you do Oblivion get the DLCs in first or buy the version with them already incorporated.
  20. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    Maybe. I was really hoping to see the Firefight mode again with the ability to play on custom made forge maps.