Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I ain't sayin nuthin!

:augie

If you ain't done that once or twice, you ain't racin cross!

M
  2. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
    I have a stupid question, is Interbike open to the public or is it only for those in the business?
  3. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    AFAIK its only for those that work in the bidness. They're tryin to hustle dealer orders, etc. I haven't made one since Philly in the mid-90s tho, so as someone that's there.

IIRC Eurobike opened its doors to the public, but :dunno

M
  4. RogueClimber

RogueClimber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gummee is correct. Only an industry event. I saw the new Pinarello Dogma 60.1 today and it looks sweet. I will start getting some pix tomorrow.
  5. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    I STILL lust after a smoke chrome Pinarello TSX that my college teammate had. :tb Too bad he ran into a car that pulled out in front of him and totaled it!

Oh well.

I also still lust after another teammate's Colnago Master Olympic in the blue Decor scheme with Superbe Pro on it.

SO...

If any of y'all have any Superbe Pro stuff layin around, I'm gonna start collecting bits for my (next) dream bike!

M
  6. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Guess I won't be driving to Vegas Friday. Once it cools off I would like to ride bootleg canyon. Anybody here ridden there?
  7. RogueClimber

Oddometer:
    Bootleg Canyon is a blast. I've only ridden it on dirt demo days for Interbike but man is it fun. As long as you stay on your ride. The rocks and plants out there are all sharp and waiting to bite you when you hit the ground. DAMHIK:deal
  8. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    As of right now, it's only the smaller sizes with the 26"s. Similar to the Riv Atlantis. However, there are photos online of the 2010s in the larger sizes with 26" wheels. So that may be changing.
  9. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:

thanks.
  10. RogueClimber

Oddometer:
  11. flip18436572

flip18436572 Broke ex-YMCA employee

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link to all the pictures. Can't wait to see you "cross" pictures!!!!
  12. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:

New info out today! All frame sizes are available in 26" wheel size now.
  13. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    If you're going to ride a cross bike without pedals, you might as well get a single speed.
  14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    or lower that seat so your feet reach the ground :lol3
  15. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    :thumb That thing is bulletproof. When I was running the Stupid Electric Bicycle w/ 35 pounds of batteries I broke 3 lesser racks before I found that. It outlasted the rest of the SEB. if all you are carrying is raingear and little knicknacks Its overkill. Better than underkill.
  16. RogueClimber

Oddometer:
    Video of CrossVegas Men's Pros

Sorry for just a link to one lousy video. My camera did not like shooting speed under the lights. All I got was ghosts. :huh

Ooh look I just 205'd myself
  17. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I know this is probably akin to asking what oil to use but....I have a hankering for a mtn bike. I do like riding my street bike but, well, it's getting a little boring.

So....hardtail or full suspension and why :ear

Some background....I'm a pasty fat old dood, 240, 5'10" and I don't want to do any great technical trails, I just want something I can use on some local trails just to make riding a bike a little more interesting. Oh, that and the fact there's no fucktards driving cars who seem to really really hate sharing the road with me for whatever reason.
  18. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    How much do you want to spend? Any FS bike under 1000.00 is going to be a heavy pig, IMO. You can find used bikes on CL for decent money. If you want to buy new, take a look at Specialized or Trek bikes with LX or XT components. Can't go wrong with either one. There are so many variables though... And road riding gets you in good enough shape so you can enjoy a ride in the woods without passing out. Good luck!
  19. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    with a hard tail, you pretty much have to stand up on the rough stuff (roots, rocks, etc), while you sit on a FSR and let the suspension do it for you.

a heavy rider will need either air shocks (and the trick little 250psi pump) or upgraded springs, this goes for the front forks too. sometimes those fork springs are hard to come by, but without them, you'll be bottoming out. the bike makers seem to think the average cyclist is 140 lbs, maybe 150 lbs on a 'large' frame (at 5'10", you're probably 'medium').
  20. DoctorIt

DoctorIt vrooom!

Oddometer:
    yup :nod FS is nice for not beating you up on all-day rides. That being said, you certainly don't *need* it. You can get a much lighter, higher component-ed hardtail for less.

(a) pretty much the only bikes that come with steel springs these days are either cheap toystore crap, or at the opposite end of the spectrum, hardcore, ultra-long travel DH bikes where the non-linearity of air-springs becomes an issue. Everything we carry in our shop is air-sprung, front and rear.

(b) any FS bike worth a damn will come with a shock pump and handle your average well-fed advrider.