BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Towjam

Towjam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah - I hear ya'. I've test ridden the VFR a couple of times and the low bars just won't work for me - especially in the stop and go traffic I deal with in my daily commute. In my perfect world, Honda would announce the VFR-ST to compete with the K16 but I'm not holding my breath. On the other hand, BMW doesn't have a stellar reputation for first year model releases so Honda has a little bit of time to make something happen.
  2. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    It's possible, but I'm not sure of the degree of difficulty. PM Bradatlarge for details. He converted his RT P to civilian duty.
  3. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I can't imagine why? The whole reason I am getting an RT is so that I can bring my sweetie with me and an RT sounds like the perfect choice.
  4. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:

Gregster,

There is a kit. It's a bit expensive though.
  5. rous44

rous44 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to lower my RT like that. But, even if they had a kit for it, I just shot my Xmas money on a Sargent seat for the Dakar. So many toys, so little money.
  7. bhb

bhb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Time to bump this thread.

UPS just dropped off two boxes for me. One's from Beemer Boneyard, one's from Max. Looks like I'm gonna have a busy weekend.

[​IMG]

And here's this afternoons progress. I know, lame. More tomorrow. And I'll break out the better camera so the pics are clearer. Also, Max threw in all the detailing stuff seen at the right rear (top pic) for spending $300 or more.

[​IMG]

I know, messy garage. Should have seen it before I made room. :rofl

Any tips for removing the air box?
  9. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:

That's not complete. Strangely. :dunno

You also need #9 from this fische page and its corresponding bit on the other side.

[​IMG]

I bought "recylced" bits but, wouldn't go that route a second time as painting them from Red and Silver to White pushed the prices beyond the OEM bits pre-painted in Alpine White.
  10. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    If you're asking about the conversion, its even more fiddly and expensive to do that the 1150, based on my conversations with the kids at Brown Motorworks and at BMW of Long Beach....with the vertically oriented side cases and special mounting, I wasn't sure that it was even possible.

Here's the 1200 RT-P brochure.

http://www.bmwmc.net/uploads/tm7/K26SF-2.pdf

Enjoy.
  11. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    Next project. Paint that garage!

Why are you removing the airbox? You should be able to get at the slave from the rear of the bike - the Tech at Brown Motorworks did my GS-ADV without even removing the rear shock, shockingly.
    :eek1
  12. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    +1 same reason I'm getting one, my one and only will be much happier on the RT than the other bike's - supposed to be delivered today or tomorrow but no news yet so I guess I'll have to wait till next week :1drink
  13. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RT is and AWESOME two up bike = she Loves it !

ENJOY your new RT :clap

:freaky
  14. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I've got some oil leaks in the engine and trans so I'm doing everything at once since I don't know the history of this bike; spline lube, rear main seals, new clutch components, seals in the trans, and the slave cylinder.
  15. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    I end up doing things like that too. Well as long as I'm here I should attend to this little problem. It never stops. :lol3
    Post plenty of pics. I just got an RT. I'm familiar with doing a lot of the work on a GS but I'd like to see where the RT differs.

Looks like a pretty fun weekend. :thumb
  16. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    I will and I'm sure she will - will report back in a week or two after some ride's and post some pics :1drink
  17. spanky

spanky Well, maybe....

Oddometer:
    ......at least I'm here now. I've read through all the posts and enjoyed the tech, mod, and general stuff thus far.

Here's my '02 RT in a somewhat dated photo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I replaced the original front fender with one from a KRS. Same color, same mounting holes. I just find that it looks better than the chunk of plastic it came with. Aside from that it has a Migsel gadget mount for my XM radio (photo forthcoming), clear turn signal lenses, a Centech fuse panel under the seat (photo forthcoming), and a Cee Bailey's Euro shield in #2 tint. I usually run a CB dark tinted #4 style screen for short haul rides as it allows more air flow on hot days.

More later on the mods not depicted.
  18. bradatlarge

bradatlarge Insha'Allah

Oddometer:
    Makes perfect sense. :thumb

Bon chance. Thats a big project, I envy your resolve.
  19. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    I got a late start today due to the cold and not feeling well. But I did make progress. The air box is out of the way, the exhaust is off, and so is the shock and the starter.

Todays pile of parts.

[​IMG]

Was having trouble rotating the subframe up. Upon closer inspection, the allen head bolts had to come out and the hex nuts needed to be loosened. Then it would rotate. This is at the front of the subframe, just above and behind the front control arm. (Or whatever BMW's fancy name is for it.:lol3

[​IMG]

Here's why the clutch is slipping. Nasty in there.

[​IMG]

These are at the front of the airbox, one on each side, and were not readily visible. They are secured by black screws and blend in with the stuff around it.
    [​IMG]

This is the back of the airbox and it secures from the inside to the bracket that holds the top of the rear shock.
    [​IMG]

The starter and the shock removal is pretty straight forward. Here is todays progress.

[​IMG]
  20. beeper

beeper Badger tickler

Oddometer:
    All fluids changed, brake flush today. Just waiting for an air filter and the feeler gauges for the valves to show up. New tires going on also, I'm considering the Pilot 3's. Hope to have her ready to go next weekend. :D

[​IMG]