So I've got the tire off the rim, now what...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tominboise, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

:rofl

That's like stating,,, if you don't use a new crush washer on the drain plug every time you change the oil, you might as well not put any oil in the engine.

:lol3
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

The tire is too thin, I've had problems with ZR rated car tires too..we grind/buff the rubber to give an inside patch something to adhere to and the metal is just barely under the surface. A plug from the outside that self vulcanizes is the best option for a tubeless motorcycle tire.

Notice in the following pictures, the alligator skin looking bumps needed to be ground smooth in an area bigger than the patch. If you try to do that you're right into the metal, the tire is too thin. The only upside to this repair is that there is a plug of sorts holding the patch over the hole and hopefully it won't slip and expose the hole.

I wouldn't trust my life to that one.

YMMV

3. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oil leaks will only kill your bike. Failed tires can (I know, I know, probably won't, but COULD) kill YOU. With that said, I just now (literally 5 minutes ago) used the first new crush washer on my Strom in the last 20k+ miles. It never had one, and never leaked a drop :D

So no, those 2 statements are NOTHING alike. Nice try though!
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Loss of engine oil can lead to a seized engine which in turn can lead to the rear wheel locking up causing a crash. Crashes can kill as you already pointed out. :deal

So yes they are alike. Nice try though! :lol3
  5. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I tought I recognized that snakeskin pattern.:D

[​IMG]

Cut out a sample if just to see how much rubber is there before hitting the cords. Looks like 0.7mm, plenty to patch if taking it easy with the power tools when buffing.

[​IMG]

I buffed the sample with a power tool. Takes too long to do by hand but shops will want to use the power tool. May depend on the operator as to how much they'll remove. I think that's a worn 50 grit, did the trick with a light hand on the tool.Gotta be quick.:rofl

[​IMG]

Still plenty of rubber left after buffing, only got rid of the snakeskin for an even adhesion of a patch.:wink:

[​IMG]

Cords....I think that tire was just about ready to show some on the other side.:lol3
    [​IMG]