The new Yamaha Bolt BIKE thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mrbreeze, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Super Sneaky Steve

Super Sneaky Steve B@nned Club :D

Oddometer:
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    maybe we need to do a group buy on red flannel shirts?
  3. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat.

Not sure about the front downtubes though. Frame kinda sticks out.
  4. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
  5. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Dayum!!! :clap
  6. HondaFanatic

HondaFanatic To Ride Is To Live

Oddometer:
  7. HondaFanatic

Oddometer:

I really don't think the red flannel shots in the articles are set ups from Yamaha.

The latest reviews are all showing different riders, but in the same settings. And the motorcycle-USA.com writer states Yamaha "unleashed a randy band of motojournalists on the unsuspecting streets of San Diego"

It's been a few years, but this sure could be the San Diego I remember.

[​IMG]

Bet this guy is a journalist who just happens to fit the bill. Hell, I own a few flannels myself :dunno
  8. Super Sneaky Steve

Oddometer:
    It seems no one can tell the difference between the R shocks and standard, so to me that means get the base model (in black) then look for a decent upgrade with the $300 saved.

I don't know much about crusiers, who's known for making good crusier suspension bits?
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Progressive has stepped up in the past few years.many of their top shelf shocks carry a lifetime warranty. Haven't seen a set fail yet so cannot comment on the customer service for that warranty.
  10. kraven

Oddometer:
    1. If you don't have a thing for the r-spec only colors, you're all set.

2. Check the usual suspects like YSS, Hagon, Progressive, etc. I don't know for sure, the shocks don't look like anything too crazy and should be able to match off the shelf ends.

YSS advertises their standard shocks at 299 and piggybacks for 399. Hagon has a value line at 199, and they go up to nitro stainless adjustable pair for 499. Progressive is around there too, but you can buy those through a local parts store. RaceTech has a line of dual shocks for vintage bikes, if you want to really make the bike boogie. RaceTech can probably sell you emulators for the front forks too. To my knowledge they're just 41mm KYB with damper rods.
  11. kraven

Oddometer:
    Me too.

But now it's going all mainstream. Time to change. :lol3
  12. HondaFanatic

Oddometer:
    But the again, motorcycle-USA.com says this

Tough call :dunno Probably gonna take some real world back to backs to tell the diff. Only problem is no R-Spec till July.
  13. kraven

Oddometer:
    He did say that he weighs 220 and bottomed the standard shocks once or twice.

Probably the bodyweight is a good indicator of where limitations are. I generally find that the mid size cruisers are suspended for a person around 165 or so. I'm 205 and usually wish for more on any mid size cruiser I ride. So, I expect I'd be saying "shut up and take my money" to YSS or RaceTech with either model. Which is fine by me. I live in a place where I can make the most of noice suspenders. And I can add some extra travel, get the bike off the ground more, and get the stance I'd prefer with custom shocks and fork parts.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    This tells me that no matter what model you get, it could never do any 2 up riding without a shock change.
    I wonder why most modern bikes are that way, new Bonneville, Sportsters, bolt, none seem to be able to handle 300 pounds on the bike.
    The bolt having a better ride then a sportster is not saying anything, some hard tails likely have better rides.

In the old days, ALL bikes could handle 2 up.
    Maybe the damping was wimpy, but the springs were usually ok.

Plus, looking at the people riding the bike, their knee's are way out, fun at 70 mph having the wind blow your legs apart for hours, a problem my sportster had with its big gas tank.

Test ride before buying this bike...
  15. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Feral Chia Tamer

Oddometer:
    Rick's got you covered.

http://www.motocd.com/
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

In the old days I put air shocks on every bike so I could ride two-up. The old days shocks were complete crap. GS550E with air shocks was awesome. Hipster couples weigh 185 lbs...combined, the bike will be fine.

In the old days we wore flannel because it was cold. :lol3

I don't test ride bikes anymore, it leaves me in an endless search for a bike that doesn't exist. I find one that I like the specs on and buy the damn thing, I can tailor it to suit me later.

[​IMG]
  17. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    :poser :poser :poser
  18. Super Sneaky Steve

Oddometer:
    http://youtu.be/9x-v_2GRVEg

Well, we can't blame Yamaha for starting the hipster red flannel shirt club.

This commercial is almost EXACTLY like the Bolt commercial. They even both stop by a motor cycle shop, look at and stroke a part, then hop back on their bike.

Now, to be clear I don't blame the bikes for any of this. They are pure and innocent and I like them all, but the marketers just turn me off sometimes.

I do see a Bolt in my near future, as long as Triumph doesn't come out with that super cool street tracker project I've been seeing on the interwebs.
  19. kraven

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say that about shocks. Every old Jap bike I had always had the shocks clicked to max when I got it and still wallowed like a pig in mud. Granted, being into strength training makes you not quite a waif, but let's not buff the halo of the old stuff.

I also find that I know myself well enough to shop for specs and make what I want from that.

BTW, you're my kind of fabricator, Larryboy. You and me could enjoy a beer or two, if you ever get over this way.
  20. HapHazard

HapHazard Be Kind - Rewind

Oddometer:
    It's good to be getting REAL info from these reviews (thanx to all posting the links!) such as the forks being 41mm (they sure look like 38's or less from the bad old days).

And this pic is an angle I've never seen before, and I know why! But it shows where I predict a lot of owner customization will occur. Taking off that way-Japanese plastic fender extension and replacing that cheesy looking taillight with a Bates or Lucas style plate holder would add class to the ass with little cost or effort.
    [​IMG]