Buying / Selling

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerseyBiker, May 17, 2012.

1. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 2007 GTS250 on Tuesday. Flew up to Baltimore and rode it 300 miles home. It has an ADV sticker on it already! (On it when I bought it.)

Sold my 2004 Reflex today. I was gonna keep that one forever...LOL Only had it 1 year but did put 4000 miles on it.

Now if I can sell the HD and the SIlverwing I can look at either a GTS300 or a BV350. Also under consideration is something like a Kymco 300. Next one I get I would like to be easy to maintain and between 250 - 350 cc and fuel injected. I think that is the "sweet spot" for the riding I do.

After all, if I can ride a 250cc the 300 miles and 6 hours home on Interstates 95 and 85, why would I need more power than that? Suggestions on which bike would work for me will be gratefully accepted.

Here is the latest

[​IMG]
    rdhood likes this.
  2. OKC99

OKC99 Janus 250 Phoenix

Oddometer:
    Yea I realized that too with my 09. The 250GTS is all I ever need (with a top box).

It's the perfect size and mix.
  3. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Jersey:

Great bike.

I recently got a few hours seat time on a:

2007 GTS250 (used)
    2012 GTS300 (new)
    2010 GTS300 Super (new).

I could not feel much seat-of-the-pants between the GTS250 and GTS300. But the 300 Super feels like the power comes on lower and easier. My wife bought the 2010 300 Super. For around town riding it's more fun than the BV350 as it's lighter and faster. But as soon as I hit a road with a speed limit of 50-75 I prefer the BV and the bigger wheels.

I love to ride my wife's Vespa, she won't ride my BV unless forced to. :lol3

Tom
  4. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Tom

The 300 and the 300 Super have the same engine. Any idea why the Super feels peppier?

Interesting that you find the Vespa better in town than the BV. I do more town riding than highway so maybe I'd be better with the Vesps. Good info. Thanks!
  5. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    Jersey:

Nope. Musta been a brain thing. I thought the 300 Super had a slightly different engine but just checked the specs and they appear to be identical. It's just cosmetics. I didn't even know the seat was different. Looking at the pics of your seat it sure looks different that one one of my wife's white 2010 Super. We didn't want the luggage rack as we were going Givi anyway.

Here are the only differences I could find (on a thread on modernvespa.com):

------------------

The Super has the vents on the side cowl, black polished aluminum wheels, regular type material vinyl seat and is well, Super !

The regular 300 has gray wheels, luggage rack. weird vinyl seat and is well, Regular.

Other than cosmetic differences they are pretty much the same.

----------------
    Just found this post as well. More informative:

The differences are mostly styling. The GTS300 Super was introduced in 2008/09 when Vespa's top scooter was the GTS250. The Super offered a bigger engine and a few styling differences: different horncast, differently-shaped seat with white piping, louvres on the right cowl, 2-tone rims, different graphics for the gauges. For 2011, the GTS250 has been upgraded to a 300, but retains its original styling. The non-Super GTS also comes with a rear rack now.

Many riders don't like the stock seat for the GTS (non-Super), which has more of a hump in the front. Some complain about sliding forward in the seat.

The color options for each are slightly different. The matte paint on the grey for the Super is pretty stunning.

The suspension on the non-Super version is quite good; subjectively, I doubt most riders will notice the difference except in the most demanding circumstances. I know a lot of hardcore GTS250 riders who have ridden across the country, participated in the Motor Scooter Land Speed Trials, and who have ridden in challenging environments seldom braved by most scooterists. They all did it with the stock adjustable spring rear suspension.

Otherwise, in terms of engine, mechanics and most other aspects, the GTS300 and GTS300 Super are identical.

Buying advice: Check them out at a dealer. Sit on them and decide which seat you prefer. Pick a color. Performance-wise, though, the difference is negligible (as with the GTV or the differences between the LX, LXS and LXV).
  6. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Yup. Knew they shared the engine. The other stuff is so minor that it is curious Vespa would bother with 2 models.

Any wobble when you use the Givi case? My 2009 wobbled terribly when I added my 52 liter. This time I might try a smaller version.

How about some pics of your scoots?
  7. Infracaninophile

Oddometer:
    It's actually 3 models. There's the pimped out, leather GTV300 as well. The Givi case and rack won't get mounted until this weekend. The case is here (30L) and the rack just arrived today. Total investment about $200. The Vespa cases are 2.5x expensive for some reason. Will let you know how the case works.

One of the used bikes we rode, the 2007 GTS250 did wobble a bit on decel if I took my hands off the bars. It had a Vespa tail box. Didn't have issues if I kept my hands on the bars. If it happens to me I would try heavier bar end weights as some have had success.

I have a thread here I started with pics. Will add more as I mod my wife's 300 Super more.

Tom
  8. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't this your second go around with this scoot. As quick as you go through bikes I doubt you ever have to change the tires.
  9. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the picture posted looks like the front (at least) is due for replacement right about now.
  10. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Lots of tread on the front but also lots of cupping. Quite noticible when riding.

It looks to be the original Sava. Sava tires don't have a good rep in the Vespa community so no loss changing it.
  11. Otherguy

Otherguy First World Traveler

Oddometer:
    Saw that scooter for sale in Columbia, but was too late. I ended up finding exactly what I wanted new in the crate in an unlikely good old boy moto shop in Christiansburg VA for a decent price. My first ever 2 wheeler was a Vespa, and I've liked them ever since. After many motorcycles, I forgot how much fun a scooter is.

The first one-1969 somewhere on a Dutch autobahn on my way to Paris. 1965 160GS.

[​IMG]

The new one-2012 GTV 300.

[​IMG]
  12. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are lotsa "tires of the month" on MV, but we've had great luck on both our Vespas with the Heidenau K61. With Dynabeads too! :D

I run a 140/70-12 on the rear of mine, cause I'm a fatso, but the wife has the 130/70-12. The mileage has been fantastic and they handle well (in the dry anyway, So-Cal) so for me, the tire search is over.

Same Red GTS 250 as yours BTW....fastest color in the Vespa universe. But I'm sure we all know that!

13. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Sorry I beat you to the one in Columbia (not really....)

Turned out for the best! For both of us!

Love the pics. Must have been some trip going to Paris in '69. Guess you missed Woodstock! LOL

The 2012 GTV is a beauty! Wish you miles of smiles on that baby. :clap:clap
  14. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    The Heidenau is what's on the back. Will probably put the same on the front when I change tires. Have heard lots of good things about them.

Yes! Dragon Red is the fastest - everyone knows that!! :clap
  15. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Sold the Harley today! Now just have to sell the Silverwing and I'm ready to go shopping again!

Really want something low maintenance and that I can do myself.

Kymco? Stella?

Is a 150 easier to service than a 250?
  16. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Otherguy, that 300 is nice. If you don't mind me asking, what did you give OTD for it and where in C-burg did you pick it up?
  17. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Well congrats on selling the Harley.:clap

But the Silverwing is up for sale? You just bought it!:eek1
  18. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Stella isn't going to be "low maintenance"....they take constant tinkering.
  19. Otherguy

Otherguy First World Traveler

Oddometer:
    Yo Homes,

$7300 OTD. $500 cheaper than the next offer. After a lot of phone calls and research, I was happy paying that price for the one I wanted. That price includes all the DMV doo-dah and a hard copy plate on the scoot when you leave. Frontline Honda. I was happy with them, and I've been around the block buying motos.

It was a real eye-opener finding out how expensive these little fuckers are new these days, but used prices are commensurate.
  20. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:

A lot of folks would say, "how could you have paid that much for a scooter, you could have gotten an insert bike for that price", well have you looked at it? Probably the nicest looking scooter made today IMO.