Kawasaki W800

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by A Knight Who Says Ni, Aug 27, 2010.

1. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much my point. There's nothing wrong with the bike, it just doesn't sell in the U.S..

It would be more desirable with ABS, but even that isn't going to make it salable.
  2. KB

KB Banned

Oddometer:
    Many people that have a true passion for motorcycles understand what the W800 represents. It's not the motorcycle that defines you, it is the age old bond of man and machine (the simple appreciation of parts in harmony). The more choices we have the richer we all are. I bought a Hawk GT650 and a Versys when they appeared and they were great bikes.They were not designed for the everyday buyer. I did not buy a TransAlp or the W650 when they were offered, I will not make the same mistake if the W800 is made available. Now I understand that some people like the latest technology and that is great, they also sell those bikes. The one true thing about this site is that we don't care about how special you think you are, it's about the bikes.
  3. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    the top one is sweet!
  4. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Things can change 10 years later. You're not the same putz you were in 1999 either.
  5. mr openroad

mr openroad Target Fixated

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I just might be the same putz I was in 99 :cry
  6. Duck_Pilot

Duck_Pilot Retired Roadracer

Oddometer:
    :clap Well said, friend! Next time ya get to Colorado, lemme know. I'm a-buy'n you a beer! :freaky
  7. woafa

woafa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just fond the thread and didnt know K was planning a W800. :D

dont know if it's been mentioned before, but have you seen waht Deus ex Machina are doing with the old girls in Sydney.

http://www.deus.com.au/#/bikes/motorcycles/customs/

take your pick of plans and versions.

having 'only' 650cc has put me off these for a bit. If K can come in close to or under a Bonneville price, I reckon they'll have a good thing.

daniel
  8. beep

beep Guest

If there's one thing certain about this bike is that it's been re-releases/re-designed/resurreted to take on the Bonneville. So I'd be stunned if it didn't match or beat the base Bonneville on price. This would be a real bonus since, as I've mentioned, secondhand W650s seem to hold their value better than Bonnevilles. As long as they get the paintjob and fueling right they should sell fairly well in the UK, not sure about the US.
  9. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    That is just kool, no doubt about it :wink:
    Gary
  10. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    It suddenly occurred to me that the folks who complain about the 650 being too small have probably never actually rode one.
    Just sayin'. Carry on -
  11. Porkchop316

Porkchop316 Patent pending Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Uncle Ernie.

Yadda, yadda, yadda... :wink:
  12. rider929

rider929 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own one of each and enjoy both of them. :D The Bonnie is bigger so it's easier to ride long distance. The W is more the true classic. When riding it you really do feel as though you are riding a vintage machine. You can tour on it too as I did an Iron Butt 1 in 1 on it no problem. The W has many little features that I wish Triumph had put on the Bonnie too. :huh Key lock seat, helmet lock, stearing lock in the ignition, running lights on the front, center stand, louder pipes, locking gas cap, metal fenders and air box covers, aluminum rims, etc. etc. etc. They are both good machines and a pleasure to ride and should not be confused with high performance bikes.
  13. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    God damn, you been trolling this hard for all 17k of your posts?

As to whether the W800 is real and/or going to be imported to the US, I have no idea. I hope it is. But if you think that whether or not the W650 sold well a decade ago has much bearing on how this theoretical W800 will do in an entirely different climate, when the market for medium displacement retro twins has grown considerably thanks to some savvy marketing by Triumph, well, you're being obtuse. Or just trolling.
  14. maloosik

maloosik Squishimus Squidimus

Oddometer:
    Let's give him a break here he does have a valid point about the past success of a different machine, in the US market. Marketing and bean counting professionals do sometimes know what they are doing and do not rely (completely) on the opinions of internet-foraticum for green lights on product launches.

I think there would be agreement that the market for a retro twin of this genre has changed significantly in the last 10 years, and one player has had the run of this market, pretty much uncontested (Triumph).

If Kawasaki has an ear for fulfilling needs, they might hear the demand, perhaps on a limited basis, for an increased displacement example of what did not work before here in the US.

A decision to bring the W800 to the US market now would seem to be a leveraged risk given the economy (less appetite for higher cost motorcycles), the higher profile for this genre of motorcycles, and the lack of competition right now for air cooled parallel twins. Add to that the fact that Kawasaki has a cult following for the W650, and a fully developed model in production already and the risk seems like a good bet.

I did not stay in a Holiday Inn express, just makes sense, and I want a more authentic, aesthetically pleasing choice. If the Guzzi bumped up discplacement it would be another great choice, but anemic power (under 50 bhp) just will not cut it for a street bike in the US imho.

If they do this right, Kawasaki would trounce the Triumph (unless Triumph hired an Italian design firm or something).
  15. SomethingClever

SomethingClever sick life

Oddometer:
    I agree with most of your post, but this is a little out there. You've gotta remember that Triumph has a big head-start on Kawa and they've got the "authenticity" that some people crave (even though the bikes are now assembled in Thailand or whatever). I could see the W800 being a success, but I don't see it "trouncing" Triumph any time soon.

I'm one of the semi-rare Triumph owners who doesn't care much about the British heritage of the brand. If it's a proven design and QA is up to snuff I'd buy a bike from any manufacturer. But not everyone thinks that way.

I'd like to think that there's enough market for the Triumph twins and a Kawasaki W800, and maybe a couple other retro metrics. I guess we'll find out.
  16. rajflyboy

rajflyboy Banned

Oddometer:
    All I have to say is:

"Kawasaki..... Let the Good Times Roll"

:D
  17. Superzoom

Superzoom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We can all prophesy all we want as to whether the W800 would sell or not, but unless the bike is priced right, it's just not going to sell. Based on Kawasaki's history, do you guys think they would price the bike reasonably, or more like a limited volume oddity or exotic (i.e.: Honda DN-01)?

I hope they take a clue from Triumph and HD, both of whom price their bikes perfectly IMHO.
  18. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can get ABS on the Bonneville and it seems to sell O.K. I would think that and an 883( no ABS there either I believe) would be the direct competition. Maybe even the V7 Guzzi, also no ABS.
    I think Kawasaki's timing was off a little bit. The retro thing is way bigger now then when the bike first came out. A younger demographic would be itnerested in it now, more so than before. Obviously if it's not priced close to those other bikes, than no they won't sell many/any. Would I trade my DL for it, probably not. But as a second bike, I'd be all over it.
  19. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    I sold my DL for the Bonnie!
    But you hit the nail on the head. That retro thing is bigger now.. Maybe big K can look at Deus and take a few pages from them? Make a Scrammie, or cafe to broaden the gene pool?
    I would really like a nice high piped and comfortable twin with kick start and no ABS:evil
  20. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki has no history of losing their mind with stratospheric pricing ike Honda, who has done it several times: In the late-80's with the Pacific Coast, GB500, and NX-650; again in the early part of this decade with the 919 and 599; and now with the DN-01, VFR, and Deauville. And Kawasaki, in general, has the reputation of always offering the most performance for the buck.

So if they import it, I think it will be competitively priced. The bike has nothing exotic or esoteric (like the new Norton) to command premium pricing. Someone mentioned matching the Bonny pricing and I think this is about right. But because it would be hard to make much money in a small market at this price, I think that's the reason they'll pass. I hope I'm wrong. They may be watching the sales of the new Z1000 and FZ8 pretty closely - although certainly not the same market, it may be a bellwether on how riders in general are viewing naked bikes.

- Mark