Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    correct, first (1 year ago) I bought the CNNA, now can I just buy the Lifetime update?
    it did appear in my offers within my garmin account.
    Since I am right around the 1 year mark, is there a requirement that I need to pay for it within 1 year of buying CNNA? If so I will need to buy it in the next day or so.
  2. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yes. The useful life of the lifetime update is determined by this (from Garmin):

¹If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™/SD™ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.

So, not to worry, you can buy the lifetime card anytime. A rough guess as to the Montana's "useful" life would be five years, since it's so new.

BTW, you can get the lifetime card at Amazon for $54, about the same as a single update via Garmin. Pretty much of a no-brainer.:clap
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I'm not a Basecamp expert but I don't think there is a "Show on map" setting in Basecamp which will tell the track to show on the gps you send it to. "Show on map" in Basecamp shows that track on the map on your computer.

Mapsource did have that setting, I think, but it has not been added to Basecamp, and I doubt it will.

Personally, I see no reason to enable or disable all tracks through a global setting on the gps. The display would be cluttered beyond belief if I did that on my Montana.
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reply inline, again.
  5. Windrock

Windrock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well if that statement is true that only 20 can be turned on at one time, I can see that Garmin will not change the default when you load a track to the GPS. Currently you have to manually go into each track that you want to show and change the default setting from DONT SHOW to SHOW ON MAP. I thought while accepting 200 tracks, that the unit would have the capability to show all 200 at one time and not just 20.

The other thing that I don't care for, is when you turn TRACKING OFF the current track will not show on the map unless you turn TRACKING ON again. Now that is just the opposite of the older Map Series GPSr's. The 76CSX showed the current tracks whether TRACKING was ON or OFF.
  6. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    As others have commented on this and other threads (see Dr Rock), if you have a ton of tracks in your route, use one of the handy utility programs (gpx2img, igfromgpx, etc) that convert all your tracks into a single map file.

On a recent 2300mi trip, I had over 50 planned tracks, so didn't want to "show on map" each track. Instead, simply created a small transparent map overlay that quickly loaded at boot time for my active off-road profile. I was also able to easily share the img file with my co-rider who had a Montana. Very nice solution.

I also use this technique to show all the various "tracks" for my local ohv area.

I think the "show all tracks on map" feature is on everyone's enhancement list, but with the above workaround it's not a big deal.

2012 UT/ID/OR 2300mi 11d Outback Ride via UTBDR, T2, OBDR (in progress)
  7. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I logged a support question on the Tempe functioning...

"I purchased the TEMPE July 18th from GPSCity. I have it linked to my Montana 650 used it till the snow fell on my motorcycle. What I have noticed is that the 24 Hr MIN MAX temperatures do not change ever from what was the first Min or Max in the first 24hrs. After that they remain the same. Only way to change them is to remove the battery. I think this unit is faulty needs replacing. Thanks"

This is the response I got, which is not what 2 other members got....

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. At this time, this is an issue we are currently aware of. We are working on a resolution to the issue. Unfortuneatly, I do not have a time frame as to when a software update would be released to correct this issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Now is the Tempe faulty or is it the software of the Montana!
  8. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The Tempe. It's the device which is not resetting itself.

And the fix will probably be in the Tempe software.
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need a new Tempe.

CALL Garmin and get one sent to you.

Do not email them if you actually want a resolution.
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Just to "play devils advocate" on this Tracking On/Off topic. If you have Tracking On then you are creating a "current track". When you turn Tracking Off, you no longer have a "Current Track" as soon as you move.

Personally, if I have recorded a Track I want to show on the map, I just Save the Current Track and name it. Then I can show it on the map any time I desire - or not.

I think the net on this topic of "Show - No Show" is that there are many reasons to do either. I think if Garmin would enable the Show on Map GPX Extension to stay with the Track data as it moves between GPS and BaseCamp just like they did with Color, then we could manage the various user scenarios a lot better.

Then again you can always use GPX data Map Overlays as has been mentioned and in use for many years.

Cheers,
  11. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll try again.

Maybe those who are getting a new unit can let us know if that resolved the issue.
  12. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Precisely how it is done!
  13. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received mine last week, and yes, the issue is resolved :)
  14. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    I don't know where you found the info on only showing 20 tracks at a time. I am able to set as many tracks to show on the map as I want. As I understand it, only 10,000 points will show on the map at one time, independent of the number of tracks.
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice....

Montana DOES NOT fit into this case. :eek1

Works well for my Oregon, however.
  16. Windrock

Windrock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So the Montana does not act like the 76 did. The 76, when you turned Tracking On and then Tracking Off you got a seperate file called AUTO LOG 001.........etc for each time you turn Tracking On then Off. So now I think what I am understanding, when you turn Tracking Off on the Montana, you need to save the current track manually before you move where the 76 use to automatically do it for you just by turning Tracking Off. BTW I am up to page 276 and have got alot of valuable insite so far.
  17. Windrock

Windrock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look at Post #6001.
  18. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    bummer, pretty sure Santa ordered one for me.
  19. slowpoke

slowpoke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got one and I'm still learning how to use it. I have 400 pages to go through here. Lol
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    And many more pages here.

Enjoy!