The Home Made Bread Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by a1fa, Nov 29, 2009.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    So to do the dutch oven method what size do I need?
  2. crampfan

crampfan Banned

Oddometer:
    a 5 qt. works just fine
  3. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I haven't done the Tartine thing, I've heard about it of course. This area is pretty amazing for people who like bread.
    Essential bakery in seattle has a rotating hearth oven like the one you had, only bigger (I think). Pretty impressive- the commercial oven that I baked in was pretty uneven, and bread had to be taken out and rotated to get good results.

My sister in law actually worked at Seven Stars a couple years ago. She brought us there (before she worked there) the one time we visited Providence.

Now I guess I should go read through your homebrewing thread- I took a year or so off, but I'm back brewing my own again as of last weekend.
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who was she? Do you know which location she worked at? We moved our production offsite 4.5 yrs. ago. Was it at one of the retail stores? Small world...
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
  6. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    My latest try. Made a really good meatload sammich :D

[​IMG]
  7. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    That looks great!

I made six loaves today. I have been out of town and out of bread, so I had to catch up. I used that percentage chart for the first batch and it worked very well. The dough came out of the mixer ready to go into the rising box.

I also made some whole wheat. I froze some and I'll take three loaves to my parents tomorrow. :D
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    So who's baking this week?
  9. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    I wish I was, have not had time this week. Still trying to source a good/cheap stone too.

Also, I use a reg mixing bowl then cover with plastic wrap. I tried it with a seal type tupperware thing, but the lid looked like it was going to explode, what is the best/simple container to mix and store for rising? using so much plastic wrap seems like a waste.
  10. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I made a pizza Monday night. :D I kinda winged it on the dough, but it came out fine. The stone comes in handy.
  11. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    kneed it in why don't you! get it?! baking humor! :rofl
  12. Iaone

Iaone And there I was!

Oddometer:
    I've been working on perfecting my cornbread skills. I like moist dense cornbread. I always cook my bread in cast iron, either a skillet or dutch oven. Bread is very addicting!:evil
  13. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    I like to use a 3 quart tupperware type container that I have. It usually does pop the lid at some point, but as long as it doesn't fly off, no harm.
    If you wanted to mail order a baking stone (kiln shelf), I like seattle pottery supply. My kiln shelf is 14 x 16 x 5/8", if that helps any. Here is a 16 x 16 x 5/8" kiln shelf for $21.50, if that fits. They also have 1" thick versions, and they have 12x12" in both thicknesses too. I don't see any 14x16.

After a bit of googling, there's a place called ceramics SF that has similar prices for the same sort of thing. You want a rectangular mullite kiln shelf, probably in 5/8" thickness. 1" would be nice, but you'd really have to let it heat up for quite a while- if that's ok, go for it.

zak
    (2 batches of bread, plus a batch of banana bread this weekend)
  14. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    sweet thanks, for the info. Will look them up, might be a few place here in the peninsula too perhaps. Just wasn't sure what to ask for. I like the kiln idea.
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    I'm resisting the urge to comment too much on this thread. I'm really enjoying just lurking and reading the banter., It's super cool to see what you guys are doing!

Here's an exception though that I thought you'd find interesting. Forgive all the photos throughout the day, but I thought you'd find it interesting.

With that in mind, I started a Thurs bread thing at my bakery. http://sevenstarsbakery.blogspot.com/

This weeks bread is a bread from a town outside Rome called Genzano. They make it different than I do, but that's because I can. I pretty much need to rush out of the bakery after bread comes out of the oven to get it to the stores, so finished bread photos will probably have to wait until tonight, but for now you can follow along if you like.

In the bowl

[​IMG]

Just put into tubs. These 3 iPhone pictures are back to back, hopefully showing how wet and sloppy the dough is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. levain

Oddometer:
    For this bread, I'll do a fold every 45 min. for the first 3 hrs. of bulk fermentation. It'll get an additional hour, for a total of 4 hrs. in the tub. Compared to your no-knead breads that doesn't seem like very much time, but this bread also has some of our levain in it (20%) with a little yeast.

For most of our doughs, we do our folds in the tubs with a little oil to keep the dough from sticking. For really wet doughs like this one, I prefer to fold on the table with a little flour, then flour in the tubs. Seems to work better..

Just dumped onto table. I had to get to the fold really fast, it wanted to run:lol3

[​IMG]

First fold. Notice how it kinda "sits up" more.

[​IMG]

and, in the tub. If you compare this really bad picture to the really bad pictures just out of the bowl, you'll see that the dough is starting to take shape. There's a little structure there.

[​IMG]
  17. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    I'm just using a kitchen towel with some flour on it. seems to work ok.

clean of course.
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    I'm constantly amazed what a simple fold does for bread dough....

just dumped onto table
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after second fold, too early to tell, but it might not need a 4th...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. levain

Oddometer:
    It won't get a 4th for the rounds of this bread. Probably a 4th for the Filone shape...

Before fold

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Nice handprint:lol3:lol3:lol3:lol3 I'd be screaming at my boys if one of them did that:D
  20. levain

Oddometer: