Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Read the fine print " is subject to purchase of full price motorcycle." So no dickering allowed, I guess:pot
  2. doxbike

doxbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any way to just look at accessories on the Triumph site without configuring the whole damn bike over and over again? Really annoying
  3. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any existing owners that weigh 250lbs or more. I like to know if the 800 could work for me at 250lbs + 50lbs of gear/ATGATT without feeling underpowered on the slab.
  4. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I felt no difference in power while carrying the wife as a pillion. Together with gear we are probably 350lbs...
  5. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    That may apply to me :lol3

The Tigger is absolutely fine on the slab, fully loaded. In fact I took a passenger to Canada last year - all slab, and even then it handled the slab with no problem at all. Now, compared to, say, my Sprint, I had to occasionally knock it down one more cog than I normally would have to when overtaking, but it is perfectly happy on the slab with those kind of loads.
  6. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll probably be screwed, then.... my sales contract lists the price of the bike itself as $1 less than the MSRP on Triumph's site.
    :dunno
  7. Oshiat

Oshiat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I weigh 260, you will have no problems with the bike on the road. We did a Tahoe Natl Forrest loop last year 2 up (she weighs ~140) and the bike did just fine. Only mods are a Leo Vince pipe and a 15T front sprocket.
  8. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    triumph phone app is the best way.
  9. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    In my opinion you will want to upgrade the rear suspension. It is the best modification of the many I have done.
  10. Fireman1000

Fireman1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if any of the aftermarket windscreen makers will consider a "sport" style screen for the Tiger. I'm a fan of the clean air you get with the screen removed. It's just like riding a naked bike, but it looks a little unfinished without the screen on. I was playing around with different angles, and I think a windscreen that is similar to the stock at the bottom, but tapers to just the top of the gauge cluster would be nice. Thoughts?
  11. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Get the power bronze bikini screen

[​IMG]
  12. TekurRides

TekurRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try madss.com.

13. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I believe there's a "-" button so you can remove an accessory from your configuration.
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cut down your stock screen. Take off a bit at a time, until you get to a height you like. You can paint the backside whatever color you like.

Just put masking tape on the screen where you're going to make your cuts. Use a jigsaw with the finest tooth count you can find. Finish the edges with 1000 grit sandpaper. I've cut down a few screens like this.
  15. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

look in here

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686867&page=17
  16. eram310

eram310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ???
  17. ObtuseMoose

ObtuseMoose Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. PirateDunk

PirateDunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my bike since Easter 2011.

My bike has now been in the workshop for one month, waiting on a replacement gear selector shaft which I have apparently bent by changing gear too hard, thus not covered under warranty. Any one know how its possible to bend a gear selector shaft? Although just a hunch I suspect its possibly related to the gear return spring recall.

My front brake discs needed replacing after 30,000km, BEFORE the brake pads needed replacing. Rejected warranty claim because brake discs are considered consumables. Definite manufacturing deficiency.

If anyone is looking to buy a Triumph I would advise against it, despite the fact that it is a fantastic bike. After sales support is lacking. This is a Triumph issue and not a dealer issue. Triumph don't have an adequate supply chain in effect despite the bike having been out for 2 years now. Every part I've orderred from my dealer has taken 3+ weeks to arrive if not immediately in stock.
  19. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that as my view on Triumph is the opposite. I know plenty of people who had discs replaced on warranty here in the UK.
    However, in your shoes I would write a letter (remember those) direct to Triumph in England. They may not know what goes on in your country (I'm assuming your're in the US as your profile on here is incomplete).
  20. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

A good warranty experience starts with a good dealer...

I think he may be Canadian eh! as he talks of KM not, miles.

Good luck to the OP...