BMW F800 R - the Rotax Roadster Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lost Roadie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Theory

Theory Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks

Got a picture from valdresflya, before the rain started.
    1389 meters above sea level (4560ft)

Attached Files:

2. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    OK, plenty of opinions about how the bike looks around....
    but what really matters to me is how a bike rides. :deal

Here's a quick edit video I threw together of me having a great time throwing this excellent bike around in the Malibu canyons.
    Shot with a Drift HD 170 Stealth camera, Manfrotto Magic Arm mount, edited on a Mac.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/20970642?title=0&amp;portrait=0" width="1100" height="619" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    Uke likes this.
  3. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    Cool video. Gorgeous roads. Love the bike's appearance, but had no idea they sounded so flatulent...like a tractor really.
  4. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    You have to just get past the sound(s) of the engine and ride it. I thought mine had serious issues from the clatter when I first got it and was not in love with wiht the flatulent (good description) sound of the engine - but now I embrace it and enjoy the ride,
  5. MJZ

MJZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, but after a couple hundred miles the sound becomes much more pleasing. Especially in stereo.

Attached Files:

6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I've got an Akrapovic can on my 800... sweet sound... :ricky
  7. MJZ

MJZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got up this morning and decided to wash the boys.

Attached Files:

8. Spark

Spark n00b

Oddometer:
    First post! I picked up my F800R about a month ago and am loving it so far. I've upgraded from an SV650.

Here is what I love about it:

- Unique looking, I love how mechanical and 'industrial' it looks
    - Great build quality, especially compared to the SV
    - feels narrow and light between the legs
    - smooth, even pull
    - dips right into the corners and holds steady
    - good mileage and range
    - 2 up works better than expected
    - options (ABS, heated grips, TPM, etc.) are nice
    - added rad shroud, sliders, BMW OEM LED turns, center stand, pazzos

What I don't love so much:

- Definitely more vibey than my SV over 5K
    - Isn't as much a power upgrade from the SV as I thought it would be
    - Wish the speedo was digital, minor

What drives me a little nuts:

- I have to be moving almost 10-12 mph to fully release the clutch in 1st without the engine bogging, makes putzing around town a bit cumbersome (the SV never had this problem) since your always feathering the clutch
    - Clutch engages really late, maybe in the last 1/4 or 1/5 of the lever travel (played with the cable play a lot and bought pazzos to help, but they don't really solve the issue)

Anyone know if there's anything that can be done about the last 2 issues?
  9. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    The only thing i can think about your first issue is either going a tooth down on the CS sprocket or 2-3 up on the rear sprocket.

As far as the second one is concerned, all i can think of is "ride it more, get used to it".
  10. omnivore

omnivore SuperSportTourer

Oddometer:
    I have 12 yr old fat kid hands, so I like the clutch friction point close to the bar. I have a harder time with clutch modulation if the friction point is far away from the bar. Whenever I ride someone else's bike I notice this right away.

ALl of my own bikes have the clutch cable slack adjusted so the friction point is quite close tot he bar, in fact others often stall my bike repeatedly becasue I have it start about 1/3 of the way released from the bar.
    The drawback is that te cable slack allows the clutch lever itself to flop in and out becasue there is no tension pulling onit for the first last 1/3 of it's travel.

I have no idea if the F800R is cable or hydraulic clucthed though. For hydraulic clucth friction point adjustment, I have no idea. My old Hurricane 1000 gave me fits witht hat problem, and I never knew how to solve it.
  11. Spark

Spark n00b

Oddometer:
    The R is a cable clutch.

I know what you mean. I spent a lot of time playing with the cable play to get it to engage closer to the bar. As you mentioned, the looser it is, the closer it can engage, but you have the lever flopping around which doesn't seem good. Also, if you make it too loose, you run the risk of the clutch not fully separating when you pull the level in. Swapping to adjustable levers that are closer to the grips did help some, but it exacerbates the issues above if you leave too much play.

Guess I'll just have to get used to it.
  12. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer:
    I could watch the "crash" video, but not this one. WAAA!:hmmmmm
  13. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    You just stay out of this Steve! :lol3
  14. OU812

Oddometer:
    I must see your video!:deal

:lol3
  15. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    The good one's I have are on a pay per view type thing, and not allowed on ADV. :deal

This is just silly MC stuff...
  16. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    OK, back on topic.... Nancy just hit the finish line with an excellent track training day where she had hours of one on one instruction from people who know their shit.
    Needless to say it was a great time with more pics and some video to follow.
    She was the only girl on the track, and I'm sure put a dent into many of the sport bike and red ducati guys ego's as they were chasing her around the track! :lol3

[​IMG]
  17. OU812

Oddometer:
    You would charge ME to watch your video's?:cry
  18. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    OK, on with the upgrades and things we're doing to the 800 R...

First, the single most important upgrade we've done is a Ohlins' shock and fork springs.
    I called up Dan Kyle at Kyle Racing where I bought Ohlins for my R1200R and my F800GS and ordered the shock sprung for Nancy's weight - 125 pounds.

The install is very straightforward with excellent bike specific directions included, though I do have a BMW service manual (thanks ebay!) to give me the torque specs.

Remove the 4 bolts holding the subframe on, remove the preload knob on the Showa shock, remove the shocks bolts, and finally remove the screw to move the rear brake reservoir.
    This is a two man job, one to lift the subframe and tank just enough to slide the old shock out. Once that's done the Ohlins' slides right in, after you remove the knob off the remote preload adjuster and sneak it though the chassis and out the left side.
    I installed the shock bolts, leaving them loose as per direction, then bolt the subframe back together.
    Remove the silencer hanging bolt, lose the washer, replace with bracket for preload knob, a couple of zip ties and it's in place.

Tighten shocks bolts, subframe, and brake reservoir to finish.

On to springs....
    On the center stand I used a tie down to pull the front wheel off the ground, securing it to my 12R.
    Super easy, on the right side I just removed the brake lever, not the whole bars, remove fork cap, remove spacer and washer, slowly pull out old spring, slide in new spring, add a tiny bit of 7 weight fork oil to make up for a little oil on the spring, install washer, spacer, then fork cap.
    Repeat on left side without removing anything off the bars.
    Done and done.

Of course, just like every other bike I've installed Ohlins' into the difference in handling is astonishing. Planted. confident. predictable. smooth. just how it should have been in the first place...
    Now, I pay attention and notice these improvements, but as a new rider, Nancy probably isn't "feeling" the same thing, but now that the bike is actually sprung for her weight, the sag is correct, the suspension is working how it should and the difference for her is huge.
    She says "it just feels right"...

It's too bad BMW just doesn't offer Ohlins as a option to save us a little cash that's waisted on the Showa, but we've gone this far with spending $$$ so having the bike sprung for her is a drop in the bucket and worth every penny, and when I get to ride, I crank up the preload and enjoy the Gold Bliss! :evil

We have a seat cowling getting painted, a Ztechnik screen on the way and some Acerbis Dual Road handgaurds I'm putting in today, after I get the correct resistors to make it work with CANBUS.
    That's what I love about this and my 12R Roadster, she can be naked and sporty, or dressed up in touring gear for some long adventures. Take the screen and handguards off, and back to a canyon carver that turns heads everywhere she goes.

It's my opinion that this bike is very similar to the 12R in many ways after having both in the garage for a while.
    Sure the power delivery is different, the weight is different, but the Roadster heritage and feeling is very much there. ( I had a R1150R before the 12R)
    I look forward to getting on the road for some proper long miles on this bike, as I think it will make a wonderful naked touring bike, after a few mods like the bar backs, and a larger windscreen. The seat seems OK, and far more comfy than any of my previous BMW stock seat, but I'm sure my Airhawk pad will make 600 mile days a little more comfortable.

I really hope everyone listens to the negative 8R opinions then goes and buys a beautiful red Ducati instead, would be fine with me if they discontinue this bike due to low sales.... I would love to keep it rare and one of those excellent bikes that the masses just don't get.
    To me, the growling exhaust is a symphony, the handling is spot on, the power delivery is predictably awesome and all I need, plus the styling isn't just screaming for attention, only to be lost in a sea of flashy bikes.
    Simply put, it's main purpose is to make you smile while riding it, and that is exactly what this fine German bike does very well in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old on top

[​IMG]

spacer
    [​IMG]

remote preload cable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. OU812

Oddometer:
    Nice Joe.......................:evil
  20. TedShred

TedShred PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe I think it's time for a pipe eh??

[​IMG]