Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, the old Topo USA 100K maps have quite a large number of campgrounds as POIs....don't know about the newer 100K and 24K maps since I'm still using my Topo USA maps from the '98 CD edition to good effect. My experience is that there is fairly good correlation between the early Topo USA and the GPSFileDepot free state24K maps as far as campgrounds go.

One other internet site that I have found to be a gold mine, since I'm so damned particular about where I camp, is:
    http://www.forestcamping.com/

It's only for national forest campgrounds, searchable by state or NF, but they have a little comment paragraph in addition to all the other data that is worth it's weight in gold if you like privacy or don't like highway noise.....I wouldn't dream of planning on going to any N.F. CG anymore without consulting it.:clap
  2. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try JaVaWa, or perhaps just Windows Explorer, to swap out map files to my backup directory once the tiles have been selected and the *img file created one time in MapInstall, since I often do a partial install that may be good for years because I refuse to go east of the Rocky Mountain Front anymore.....:1drink

We shall see.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    So are all your maps going into one *.img file? That might be a cause for all maps to be enabled at once when you update your maps. I create separate IMG files for each map product, which makes it very easy and fast to update just one map, without affecting the others, some of which are listed below:

[​IMG]
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's that WiFi gpi POI database working for ya?

Can I ask which one you are using, and maybe where you found it? (if you like it) :D
  5. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Got it from POI-Factory. Last used it about a year ago before I bought my 3G phone. I can post it to the Dropbox tomorrow and you can check it out yourself..
  6. Jerry3567

Jerry3567 Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No love guys? Any tips on where else to look, or call Garmin?
  7. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will try to help :1drink

Sounds like you are saving waypoints via google earth KML converted to GPX, and sounds like that part is working for you OK.

Now, you will need to Create a Route in BaseCamp following those waypoints, using a routable map.

or

You could Create a Track in BaseCamp following the route you wish to take, and convert that track to a Route.

Send the finished Route to your GPSr, and make sure you have the same maps available on your GPSr as used in BaseCamp to create the route.
  8. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting..... I have not had the issue with either Lion or Mountain Lion. If I drag the icon to the trash, or right click and select eject, it goes away and does not come back.

I wonder why some have the issue and others don't ?

Jon...
  9. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know what would be a great tool?

Software we could run on the computer that would let us see ALL the profiles, settings, and maps that would then allow us to select/unselect items from a profile. It could be laid out in some type of spread sheet format.

I have stuff like that for my portable radios and scanners and it's so much easier/faster than using the built in menus on those devices.

Of course the best option would be if that function was built into BaseCamp but I won't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Jon...
  10. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    He is correct in how to find and mark the CN unmapped sections, however if a route is what you want you can continue creating it right through these sections seamlessly. In Mapsource for certain and BasecampMac I believe. You are NOT forced to use a trackline in this situation.
    Most fellas desire routes for the ease of sharing and building. For personal reasons me and my gang prefer routes and think its worth the work involved. Once built and uploaded we are on autopilot througout the trip. Big ones too, 2,500 trips, off pavement, mixed mapped and unmapped sections.
    Here is an example, Forever West, this is the Trans Continental RR in the Great Salt Basin. Its unmapped. I switched over from Mapsource to Google Earth (simply by clicking "veiw in Google Earth" under the View tab), I can now see the the original grade, I waypoint it as you can see, I then simply switch to "Direct Routing" connecting these waypoints all the way across until Im back on mapped roads, then switch back to auto routing. Seamless.
    As you can see from my actual trackline, I was pretty close to what was actually on the ground.
    [​IMG]
  11. Rocky TFS

Oddometer:
    No, I always create separate map files, like you. I have the Western half of the US in both CNNA and the old 100K Topo USA, then a dozen or so free 24K State maps from GPSFileDepot in their entirety. Once created, they are backed up to the HDD from the Montana, and not all are loaded depending on my next big trip.

When using a Topo profile for back road dirt riding, I usually use Topo USA until I feel the need for more detail or to resolve route confusion, because the State Maps are usually more up to date than the 14 year old Topo USA. Then I might or might not switch back to the 100K at some point on that ride. I'm careful to have only the Basemap and ONE topo or CNNA enabled at a time....I'm still working on shortcuts to do this quicker, but juggling with deciding at what point I have so many shortcut pages that it's actually faster to just hit setup>map>map info.

Sometimes I even use a PAPER map! :evil (Not that any of this is germane to this issue, it''s just that I am interested in the different ways each of us uses maps.)

Interesting that Atlas and I have the same issue with enablement and you don't, so I will be experimenting as time allows.
  12. Jerry3567

Oddometer:
    Atlas Cached,

Thanks for the help! I'll start working on it momentarily, I really appreciate your help!:1drink
  13. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]his is a picture of a post I put up a few days ago. I was having problems connecting my route in "Motorcycle" mode to a section of off road way point that I was connecting using "Direct" mode. The two were not connecting without problems,and I just wanted to share what I found in case it can help someone else.
    After working with Garmin for a long time on the phone,the only way to do this in BaseCamp is: create a route on the road,then end it & convert it to a track when you get to an off road section where there are no roads shown in BC. Start another route with the 1st wp being the last wp from the previous route. This route will be the one you are doing in "direct" because you are trying to connect wp's that do not follow roads. End that route and convert to a track when your about to connect back on the roads shown in BC.
    This is where it got tricky. You nedd to high light both of those new tracks>Edit>Joint tracks,and then the 2 tracks become one:) It's important to order the tracks in the correct sequence when it ask you as you continue to join more and more tracks(converted from routes) in the hope to make one continuous track. I practiced for a long time on a test rack before I went in and mucked with the original-but so for all is well.
    Note:Garmin said you need to 1st to a route-convert to track then join tracks in that order because I was using BaseCamp-probable different for Mapsource.
  14. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    And?
  15. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    The map which comes with the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State>, topo 100k set, how is this different from City Navigator other then having topo’s?
    Does it show all the roads and streets? Will I be able to find destinations by address, intersections, city names, what have you?
    I don’t care much about the vender listings on CN but they can be useful. :eek1
  16. Jerry3567

Oddometer:
    Atlas,

I have it fixed and working. I used your advice, and did a bunch of other crap that I need to figure out again. I now see a nice track spanning the state of TN, YOU'RE THE MAN!:clap Thanks!
  17. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin's 100K Topo Map has everything in common with Garbage. The Garmin 100K TOpo Maps are known to be off by 300 feet or more, quite regularly. These maps are only intended to give you a very general idea of where you are on the planet, and include severely limited detail.

Garmin's 24K Topo maps are much more accurate, and are routable. They include most streets and highways, but are not updated four times a year like City Navigator maps are. If you want to the latest and greatest up-to-date routable information, City Navigator is your best bet.
  18. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Thanks. That answers that; I need to buy a map too with the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Montana</st1:place></st1:State>.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I have never updated my copy of City Navigator. Updates must be largely vender updates? :deal
  19. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before you buy a map, look here for information about free maps that may do everything you need.

City Nav, if purchased on DVD, is eligible for the Garmin lifetime update purchase.
  20. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Today I downloaded the most recent JaVaWa Device Manager and plugged my Montana in and ran the application to see if anything needed attention. I found MGV4 was not visible in Basecamp so I changed that, and ejected the Montana.

Next time I booted the Montana, MGV4 was visible again in all Profiles.