A different kind of Versys

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by tonymorr, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Kallunki

Kallunki Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tonymorr and "AdVersys" 10+:thumb
  2. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    The R1200GS has a nice spoke wheel for 19" and runs tubeless with the spokes on the rim outside the seal of the tire area.

The discs are 304mm and about 1/4" more narrow between disc than the Versys.

Don't know the deal with the axle tho.

Pretty nice looking at this point, although I don't care for the KLR frontend.

P.S. Just weighed my Versys, with panniers and sw-motech rack, H&B crash bars, 1/2 tank of gas, and Corbin seat (it is heavy) = 453 lbs, so you are very light.
  3. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    Ya, the KLR forks weren't my first choice, but they just fit so well. They are the bigger '08 forks. I'm going to do the RaceTech cartridge emulators and see how they are. The rear is the weak link right now.....

453lbs.... I would have thought more with those things added.
  4. ppe172

ppe172 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I've been considering trying something very similar and I'm curious about one of your earlier posts:

REAR: A 12" long rear shock (5/8" longer than stock) will raise the rear 1.8" and give approx 6.7" wheel travel compared to the stock 4.9". Chain doesn't look like it will rub on the guide much and everything else LOOKS like it will be ok as far as clearance.

Can you explain how you arrived at these numbers? Did you just put the shock in and measure or did you use a formula of some kind? Also how much clearance did that leave between the swingarm and the exhaust?

Thanks,

Ed
  5. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed;

I did some preliminary figuring on CAD at work before I had the bike. After I got the bike I just raised the back of the bike, unhooked the shock, moved the rear wheel the desired amount and measured how much longer the shock would have to be. The muffler was off the bike at the time. I plan to modify the exhaust. If using the stock muffler I think the arm would hit. It looks like just removing the cosmetic cover on the muffler outlet would give enough clearance.
  6. richarddacat

richarddacat Everything is green and submarine.

Oddometer:
    cool project :thumb

glad you have plans for another style headlite though.

:lurk
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    have you sourced a longer shock to raise the rear? what problems did you run into with the DL rear wheel/hub so that you decided not to use it? how much machining to use the SV rotor/KLR caliper/DL wheel combination? is the motech engine guard a bolt on, or does it need to be modified to fit the 650R engine/frame? any additional photos & updates? like your project.
  8. tonymorr

Oddometer:

Hey JD;

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM yet. I'm at work now so not really enough time to give a good update. I'll try to sit down tonight and do that. It does have the Buell headlight now......I have photos, will post.

T
  9. JaySoy

JaySoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! It looks like a Honda XR650R and a Kawasaki Ninja hooked up and the baby was raised by a Versys.
  10. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    Caaaaaammm Aaaahhhhhhnnnnnnn!

Waiting!:eek1
  11. clapped_r6

Oddometer:
    Still waiting!

I'm dying ovah heah!

(seriously neat project, as I've seen a few crashed 650's on craigslist lately!)
  12. shoxroxice

shoxroxice Likes this ADV stuff

Oddometer:
    Nice work. I have a Ninja 650R that won't be doing any of the stuff that thing can do off the pavement... but I love the idea. I think Kawasaki should hire you to design these things for mass production, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I love the quickness of the 650R twin, and I love the KLR 'off-rowdyness' but not sure if I want a single or the bulk of a GS - I think the versys should have been made exactly like this. I wish I had the know how, time, and space to do this to mine... :bow - I want it.
  13. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    How about some more pics?!

I like that you switched to a decent Evo fender. Now you just need to update to a sleeker more flowing headlight. I think you should go wtih the Acerbis DHH, as the red will match the fender.
  14. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry I haven't given any updates or pictures. I used the BD headlight because I had it (stolen from my dirtbike). It's a pretty good light. Glass lense and H-4 bulb. I'm not impressed with any of the Acerbis lights. I have installed a buell dual headlight. I probably won't be able to post a pic anytime soon. I put it away dirty because the weather got cold quick around here. Now we have about 12" of snow on the ground. :huh
  15. clapped_r6

Oddometer:
  16. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1:ear
  17. thumper_tx

thumper_tx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :freaky

Waiting is evil stuff. The mind wanders.
  18. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any news ?

We live vicariously here, don't we.........
  19. tonymorr

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry guys. It's true that the mind wanders, especially mine! I just bought a CRF280XA and I'm picking up a Valkyrie that I found over the winter. This kinda put a damper on the Mutant budget. I wanted to get a custom $hock, have the forks revalved, and some other stuff. Fortunately it's a freakin blast to ride the way it is. All these things will just make it better when I get to them. Now that we have a little daylight after work I may be able to snap a pic of the Buel headlight this week.
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    built a beater naked ex650 this winter using the 50/52mm versys usd forks and trees. buell dual lamp front with 510 piaas, pelicans and enclosed fuel can mounts for extra 12L gas, showa adjustable shock, raised the fender to run 130/80 front, added engine guard, radiator guard, wraparound skidplate, protapers, etc.-the usual junk.

agree with you that these are fun bikes. that FI 650/6spd is nothing but sweet. at 80mph actual around 6k rpm it doesn't seem like it's hardly pulling.

didn't build it for real offroad work, but it will run the gravel just fine. off to northern canuckistan and points west (and 3000+ miles of gravel) this spring.