Heavy Metal Club

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by lineareagle, Feb 17, 2012.

1. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    That last one looks similar to mine... Glad you're healed up!

I got t boned heading to lunch from work by a guy making a left turn into his yard. Apparently it was very difficult for him to see my hi viz jacket and helmet, but oh well. His bumper shattered my tibia back at the end of August, and I've been healing since. Had a cannulated tibial nail installed during the initial surgery when they removed 2.5 in of shattered bone, and had a bone graft the beginning of November to replace what was missing. Just had my 6 week xrays taken and can finally start walking with a cane, but it'll be quite a while before I'm back on a bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-M
  2. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joined the club on 8-21-12. Hit a truck bumper with my leg taking the full impact. Its Jan. 1st and still have a lot of pain and still off work. I have been back on the bike. It is easier to ride then it is to walk. :D More pictures here.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851937

[​IMG]
  3. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    That looks like my right leg. :D except I didn't have to have a bone graft.
    Broke mine in a 2010 off road MC mishap. Got a fun helicopter ride out of it. :clap
  4. JakePoppa

JakePoppa n00b

Oddometer:
    These pictures remind me how amazing medical technology has become.
  5. Jayth

Jayth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I joined in november......

Lean it for life
  6. zoid

zoid Dirty Old Hippie

Oddometer:
    Joined the club November of 2012. Shattered the right clavicle, shattered one rib, and broke seven other ribs. The clavicle is my entry ticket. When I see the surgeon tomorrow, I'll see if I can get some pictures of it.

The next time I go deer hunting, I'm going to use a rifle, not a DR 650.
  7. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I became a 3 time inductee in November 2012.
    Previous to this latest effort, I already had a screw in my knee from an ACL reco a couple of years earlier. I had 1 screw removed as it started to work its way out. I've also had pins in the thumb but they worked their way out too and had to be removed.

All bike related

The latest effort included five hours of surgery as 90% of the soft tissue was torn from the bone.

Still recovering but hopefully I'll be back on the bike in about 4-6 weeks.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]
  8. Jayth

Jayth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't blame mine on bambi (well i suppose her name coulda been Bambi) but my left clavicle was shattered In November. See post 45 and it'll give you an idea what yours looks like.You did however beat me by two ribs....show off:rofl I gotta tell ya Its takin' some gettin' used to. There just not much between the screwheads and the atmosphere....Anyway mines comin' along pretty well, I finished P.T. last week and i'd say its 90% but a got a feelin' that last 10 is gonna come tough. Hope yours does as well:thumb
  9. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joined the club on July 4, 1988. I got broadsided by a drunk driver who was going 70 MPH, and it shattered my righ tib/fib, and snapped the femur. I carried a stainless stell rod in the femur until July, 2007, when it was removed to make room for a new all-metal resurfaced hip. Got that in May, 2008, and it's abeen all good ever since.
    The tib/fib was held in place by external fixators for about 6 weeks. I looked like a mobile erector set. :evil
  10. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I managed to accumulate quite a bit of titanium in the right half of my body within a one-year span.

It started with a busted wrist on the way back from Labrador and Newfoundland:

[​IMG]

Repaired:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full story is on page 2 of my ride report:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620129

Then less than a year later, I got broadsided by an SUV on my way home from work, which snapped my femur like a twig:

[​IMG]

Repaired, proximal end:

[​IMG]

Repaired, distal end:

[​IMG]

Full story unfolds here, mostly posted by friends of mine:
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum...m-crash-thread-this-time-it-is-one-of-our-own

I've got enough titanium in me now, so my plan is to stop accumulating it.

--mark
  11. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    If you are pondering the extraction of your precious metals, just be very cautious afterwards. After removal of a fibia plate that resided for a little over a year (which by the way was recommended to be taken out by the doctor who said it would only be 75%-80% as long as the plate was in) and a good 6 week recovery period, it snapped again the first time I put some real pressure on it.

Not saying this will happen to you, just be extra careful and maybe allow some extra time recovery time. It was very disheartening after such a long initial recovery, followed by another 6 weeks, THEN another 2 months. Not to mention the timid factor that plauged me for quite a while.

Good luck and good healing to everyone.
  12. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what exactly do you mean by "real pressure"?

Russ (contemplating more hardware removal at some point)
  13. mngl1500

mngl1500 []

Oddometer:
    This is the left wrist from 2009 (slipping and falling on the ice). I wish I had pictures of the right wrist from 2007 (which was from a bike crash).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Ryan

Ryan Flugistani

Oddometer:
    Don't know if this counts for the Heavy Metal Club, because it happened during a basketball game, not on the bike - but the 26 titanium screws and plate in my forehead will always be there, traveling with me everywhere.

So, I'll apply for membership. :deal

In November of '98 I shattered my frontal sinus cavity when I came down with a rebound and my forehead collided with the top of another player's skull who was standing underneath me. When I started puking blood, it was time to hop on the bike and ride over to the emergency room.

Sorry, don't know if I still have pictures, and probably couldn't figure out how to post them if I did.

So, do I qualify for HMC membership?
  15. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    seeing i have more titanium then the average sportbike, finally a thread i can finally relate to. all incidents involve riding, well, more specifically, the sudden stops that can happen from time to time.

the birth of "rodney":

pelvis
    [​IMG]

broken bolt in pelvis
    [​IMG]

legs
    [​IMG]

had another incident, and had to go back in for a rebuild
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

some of the leftover parts during the rebuild process
    [​IMG]

vice grip'd screw extraction...
    [​IMG]

i never noticed any pain due to weather. i think it is a misnomer. i would hurt when it was sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy, etc.... :huh
  16. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Was this bent during the second, ummm, "incident"?
  17. Rodknee

Rodknee the post is mightier than the sword...

Oddometer:
    no, i don't think so. i flipped the bike out from underneath me, twisted my leg and my tibia broke at the upper screw site. i actually didn't even fall down, i just tweaked my leg just right. :wink:
  18. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    As the OP I hereby nominate you for NBHM honorary member. NonBikeHeavyMetal.
  19. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Yeah...They come with a preformed bend in them to get them to line up right in your leg...you can see it on my xray from the side:
    [​IMG]

I never thought about the tib snapping where teh screw holes are. I wonder if that's part of teh reason i've got 3 screws in the top of mine?
  20. sixshooter

sixshooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Member for "light metal club", 2 titanium 3" screws.
    Had a talus fracture 20 months ago, fell of a ladder.
    Doesn't look like much, but the bloody thing hurts 24/7.
    I can't even shift gears on my Triumph without painkillers, so i'm looking for a solution.

[​IMG]