KTM 690E - All Things Suspension Related

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bigborefan, Jan 10, 2009.

1. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:

Thanks for the input. I had the 08 E suspension brought to R specs by Trail tricks and found it harsh for my liking. I like a squishy couch like ride on my bikes and I don't mind wallowing a bit at speed:lol3 The biggest problem I have is that sending the shocks and forks across the country trying to dial it in gets expensive. How many times do you criss cross back and forth before you get it right, or wave the white flag?

If I could find a local suspension guy with a track, I would be all over it. How else can you tune it? The online form is nice and all but not ideal in my book. If I'm spending the money, I want it to be better than when it left my house. I know nothing about suspension, its obvious, so how can I relate my opinions about my suspension without any knowledge?

I hope I'm making sense.... A traveling suspension tuner would be very cool. Rent an MX track for a day go crazy, just like a pro shop at the golf course:lol3
  2. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    Your %1000 right Crank. I have a buddy who used to work for Dave Miller Concepts in the 80s. DMC was a big player in the day. A competitor to Pro Circuit and FMF. Anyway, my buddy is from CA, so we don't get together very often. We got a chance to ride together once, he had my bike set up sweet, motor and suspension. He refuses to fly, or you could hire him. He built me some KX500 suspension a few years back. I was a little nervous it would come back too stiff. But it was straolounger smooth. The bike really squatted nicely and turned very well.

Having someone go with you is the ticket if you can get it. There has to be someone near you. How about Factory Connection, aren't they East Coast. Maybe they have someone they can refer you to. You might try some different forums as well.
  3. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Factory connection is about an hour from me, so I'm sure I could use them but the 690 is a bit of an odd ball for them I would think. I have a friend that's a former Dirt track and ice racer that happens to be a AA enduro rider. The guy is methodical as all hell and understands suspensions very well. He'll actually wear a weight belt to simulate your weight and tests the suspension on his private enduro loop:lol3

Mudguts sounds like he knows his stuff but that is pretty typical for the boys down under, they don't have anyone to hold their hand when things get rough in the bush:lol3
  4. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigbore,

Thanks for the feedback on the tuners. I was just about to call KTMworld and see if they do suspension work on 690s. And from your post they do! :clap I know they didn't want anything to do with the 990. For once it will be nice to have someone that is with in a few hour ride, has a track and I can talk to in person.:wink:

By the way, Is it Paul that rides the 690?
  5. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    What about the suspension off of the 690RR rally bike? (I have no idea what the part numbers are or if its available but I assume its standard WP stuff).

[​IMG]
  6. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    I am not sure. I met two guys from there at an AMA Dual Sport in KY, the LBL 200. They had a little vendor display setup. We got to talking and one of them said he mechaniced there and had a 690 himself. We were in agreement on the 690 issues. He told me to drop by and they could fix me up. IIRC, he had reworked his already.

Post on here what you find out.
  7. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I don't even want to know what that would cost.....:lol3
  8. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure will. It probably won't be for a bit. I still have bunch of other crap to get sorted on this bike first.
  9. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :D Me neither. But I have to assume that the forks and shock are based on standard WP stuff. The fork swap seems to be fairly straight forward it's the longer shock that's a question for me. The PDS stuff is obviously not going to work with the 690 linkage. So, what are they using?
  10. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I had my 450EXC resprung and setup by the guys at KTMWorld when I was riding at Highland Park prior to the last Sandblast. They _really_ seem to know their stuff, and there's a huge trail network right at the shop for testing suspension.

It might be worth dropping in there, Aaron, particularly if you happen upon a 690 before Sandblast, as it's only a few hours west.

At least you can test/ride on trails, singletrack, fireroad, and two different MX tracks to get the setup you want, and stay overnight in their cabins if necessary.

dc
  11. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    I was actually thinking of you guys when I posted that. I had no idea it was KTM world though.
  12. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yup, the shop is right on site. It's a fun place to ride, and they are a very, very well stocked department and were generally nice and helpful. I remember they had lots of good prices on their bikes also - they also might have a line on a 690E/R.

dc

edit: Here's a clip of us test-riding suspension on their MX track. :lol3 Good times. It felt a lot higher than it looks!

http://gallery.me.com/decurran#100017/MVI_1156
  13. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I'm afraid you assumed wrong, they are not. Forks are 52mm WPs which run about $2.5k by themselves, and then you need the special triple clamps for another $1.5k. The rear of the rally is indeed a linkage suspension, but the shock is about $4.5k

Might want to look for a different solution. :D
  14. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey maybe we could set up a KTMWorld 2 or 3 day 690 suspension fest!!:clap
    I haven't stayed in their cabins yet, but they sure look nice. I do know there's a lot of trails to ride from easy to expert.
  15. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Interesting idea.
  16. CHRIS_D

CHRIS_D Long timer

Oddometer:
    If there's enough interest I would be happy to look into it!!
  17. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me what spring rates the stock 690 R has. My suspension guy and I are talking and I'm trying to figure out which springs to have on hand when the time comes.
  18. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    .52 fork
    5.7 shock Dont quote me on that:D

While you in there will go the skf seal kit ?
  19. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    80mn for shock I have 85mn in my for 97kg= 215lb
  20. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Thanks guts! Hey, how do I get some tank nuts...:lol3