BMW R****R Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ninepeaks9, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    TwistedThrottle has some pieces from MRA that might do the trick. Wunderlich also has this thing. I have no personal experience with either, but they're in the same vein as what you're looking for, I think.
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    My years of experience has proven (to me, at least) that a naked bike cannot be made quieter by larger and larger windscreens. The opposite is true. Try removing your windscreen altogether, and you will find quiet. Of course, wind blast is the downside if you cannot tolerate that. I use molded earplugs to deal with the noise issue, and mount small screens to protect my instruments from stones and insects. The exception is winter, when I mount taller screens to reduce wind chill, and then I tolerate the additional noise.

If you want quiet, get a fared bike.

Fred
    Transporto likes this.
  3. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hooligan and FredRydr:

I wear very good fitting ear plugs (did have custom at one time, but too dense and transmitted to much noise). I will try no screen first - thanks. I'm simply trying to move the wind up a few inches - above my neck to hit the helmet instead. I find that the wind between the shoulders and helmet is what causes the noise for me.

I had a fared bike (R1200RT) and I'd much rather have the wind and noise thank you very much.

Let me add - I don't have any turbulance like many complain of. Just a bit more noise than I'd like to have.

I'll check out the links.
  4. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I have an MRA Xscreen on my flyscreen, works fairly good as opposed to full nekkid. One available here at a good price: MRA X-screen for Sale
  5. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    I tried my bike with no screen for a while, after being extremely disappointed with the buffeting from the Cee Bailey sport screen. It was definitely quietest around my helmet, but not by much. The front of the R1200R doesn't lend itself to clean air, apparently. Anyway, it was a bit much for extended freeway jaunts at 80 MPH or so, which I have to do sometimes. I also wanted some protection for my GPS and such. Ultimately, I ended up with the BMW touring screen. Some buffeting, but it's the best compromise for me so far.
  6. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at between 4 and 6,000 miles this July. Will be off the Interstates, but still a long time covering many miles/states. I want the beauty (to see around you clearly) and freedom that naked provides, but with just a smooch less wind at the bottom of the helmet.
  7. Surj

Surj Deadwood Original

Oddometer:
    Totally get it. I'm about 5'10" and ride with a bit of an aggressive position, a bit of a forward lean - especially in the twisties. I wear earplugs and a Shoei NeoTec. So for me, the touring screen is damn near silent up to about 55 or so unless it's real windy. The earplugs and NeoTec are a big part of it - I was wearing a Qwest before and it wasn't as quiet.

I started with the sport screen, and it was noisier than the touring screen for me. I've tried two others (both Cee Baileys) and came back to the touring screen.
  8. stroming it softly

stroming it softly twins forever

Oddometer:
    So I picked up an 04 Rockster in Memphis last week. Bought off craigslist sight unseen but the owner was legit, selling as he got a job in Alaska. No real problems, 34K miles, no abs. Now to the issue, when I stopped to get gas or a snack, just a few minutes stopped, when I started up and took off the bike would barely run or die, it I let it idle first for 2-3 minutes or just rode slow for a block or two it would take right off and run normal. No canister, tank vent is good, fuel was bought from many different places so isn't bad fuel, has fuel injection so can't be vapor lock. ANy ideas? Keep in mind it runs perfectly after this issue resolves itself, gas mileage is normal-low 40's....:ear
  9. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    Runs good warm but not cold? Maybe it does not know it's cold. Check intake air temp plug.

David
  10. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    I went for a 300 mile ride today and had plenty of time to experiment and found out that less was more. At 70 mph I reached forward to bend the fly screen down until it touched the top of my gauges and all became quiet and my neck wasn't getting bombarded with wind. I then stopped by a friend's shop, borrowed a few torx sockets, and took the fly screen off altogether and all is well.

I'm am surprised, but delighted. Now 70 is the new 60 (i.e., 70 mph wasn't much fun, but is fine now). In fact 80 is smooth and fairly quiet too!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

On another note. I was taking off from a light and there was a train coming up (parallel to) the road I was on - probably doing about 60 mph. I ran at about 4,000 rpm in second gear until the train started to pass me then I opened up the throttle. That thing is so smooth I didn't even realize that I was up over 8,000 rpms in a flash - until the rev limiter cut in. On my other bikes you feel so much more vibration and there is so much more noise that you know when it's getting up there close to red line.
  11. SLOco.moto

SLOco.moto dos ruedas adicto

Oddometer:
    I soooo need to sell off some others to get one. Reading through this thread has made it worse. It's the one bike I spend the most time "dreaming" on at the IMS show every year. Just too damn comfy even just sitting there.
  12. Weird Bug

Weird Bug Weird BUG

Oddometer:
    Come on! Jumps in, the water is fine....:evil
  13. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find this real nice but it is an expensive fix..

[​IMG]
  14. Hoop71

Hoop71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! More and more people getting the Trophy fairing. I think it provideds the best balance of looks and wind protection.

Then again I may be biased:wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. tpulls

tpulls Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question, on my '11 does the muffler need to come off in order to remove the rear wheel? It looks pretty darn close and I don't see how I would slide the wheel off the swingarm without doing so.

Follow-up question, can anyone recommend a good service manual for the R12R?
  16. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    In the manual it says loosed the rear muffler clamp. Remove the muffler bolt near the passenger foot rest. Rotate muffler out of the way.

So NO it does not have to come off.

I suggest a torque wrench to install the wheel and everything else.

torque spec for rear wheel is
    44 foot pounds or 60 Newton Meters in an X pattern.

David
  17. celticus

celticus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just loosen the muffler clamp as David says and it will pivot out of the way.
    Mark Parnes makes a good R1200 Repair DVD. I have wanted one of those cool "S" looking fairings ever since I bought my bike in late 06.
  18. Hoop71

Hoop71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the BMW factory luggage (Side & Topcase) and I do like it but I am not particularly happy with their shape (Front of sidecase is round and I don't find it visually pleasing) and topcase is quite small.

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing the Trax cases for the bike. Some of the advantages IMHO are:
    Sidecases larger 37L, square and top-loading
    Topcase is also larger at 38L
    Aluminum construction vs plastic

The sidecases are on my bike all the time so I'm not worried how the bike looks with the bags off. Top case is usually only on when the wife goes for rides.

I just think the bike would have a funky/Mad Max look with this type of case and I think it would look good on my bike which is mostly black.

Am I just crazy or what do you guys think?

Here are a few pics of the bags on an R1200R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the BMW bags for comparison

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my opinion the square bags don't look right on the R1200R. They just don't flow like the stockers.
    For me the stock luggage is about the best looking hard luggage period even tho I do prefer top loading bags.

Again, nice job on that bike...
  20. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    You really wanted to know? Fugly! But it's your ride; do what pleases you.

Fred
    '07 R1200R - Refined, but I like it
    '09 F800GS - Fugly out of the box, but I like it!