Yamaha Vino 125?

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Jim Moore, Aug 7, 2011.

1. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:

thanks for the heads up. I strap mine down all the time by the handlebars....
  2. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man that WAY to much! That dealer isn't real bright, thats like the price of a Brand new Zuma and that ain't no 2011 Vino either!
  3. Hypochondrius

Hypochondrius pretentious hipster

Oddometer:
    The Zuma 125 is over $1,000 more expensive. Are you thinking of the 50cc models of each respective bike?
  4. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:

No his dealer is charging him $3,189 for an 09 Vino 125, and on Yamaha's site the Zuma 125 is $3,250. Maybe $3,500 out the door but thats not a good price difference for a 09 Vino or a Brand new Zuma 125.

Thats just over the top. $3,100 will get you a nice Sportster on CL, a Burgman 400 on CL, or a nice Honda Shadow.
  5. Hypochondrius

Oddometer:
    My bad. I forgot about the ridiculous dealer fees.
  6. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    I live in SE Alabama. Drove the Vino down to the Gulf Coast on Hwy 331 and through Panama City Beach - came back up Hwy 231 - a four lane.

220 miles.

My wife drove her Vespa 150... She was kind enough to let me draft off her a few times. Max speed GPS was 59 mph. It held about 48 mph upright - maybe 53 tucked.

She wants me to get a bigger scoot so I don't lag so much. Something Chinese...

I was considering, but then I found this: http://www.provoscooter.com/psr-150cc-performance-cylinder-vino-125.html.

It may be just what I need.
  7. Hypochondrius

Oddometer:
    That sounds awfully slow. I have no trouble ticking the mid 50s, and I've even managed to get it to hit 60 GPS on a flat land ONCE and I've never figured out what magical forces allowed that - probably clean oil, a clean filter, really fresh gas, a nice tail wind, and a particularly aerodynamic shirt.
  8. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    maybe the Lance Cali Classic would be another good choice if available in your area? it also now uses the SYM ceramic coated cylinder 125cc. should be good for durability. prob find 'em at your local SYM dealer. if you have one...

[​IMG]
  9. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    that is a good looking scoot... more manly looking than the Vino,,
  10. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't even know how to respond to that.:rofl
  11. maddiedog

maddiedog In dog we trust

Oddometer:
    I used to own a Vino for awhile, but I got rid of it almost immediately in favor of a Buddy 125. The Vino seems anemic compared to other scooters in its class. It handled like my grandma's mid 80's Caddilac -- slow, yet graceful and comfortable. My current ride, a 125cc PCX, will set you back almost a grand more (mine came to nearly $4k out the door), but I can hit 60mph easily (then the limiter kicks in), and I get almost 100mpg.

Like others have said here, I think the Vino is a great scooter -- but it is in desparate need of a redesign to remain competitive with the other 125s on the market.
  12. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah the Vino is sorta pokey. they're promoting a Kymco Agility 50cc in this vid but at the :50 mark bring out a 125cc to race a Vino 125. it's not even close

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BfBhsJDy1Dw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>
  13. techguy

techguy Scooter Trash

Oddometer:
    To the est of knowledge, the LANCE scooters are being made by SYM. SYM is a quality brand from Taiwan (not mainland China... huge difference). I saw a photo where if you lift the seat in the Lance Cali, you can see the Sym name stamped into the metal on the scoot.

As opposed to a financially risky Chinese scoot, I would buy just about any used or new Sym or Kymco scooter before ANY China-scoot (new or used). I just speak for myself, it's your money to do as you see fit.
  14. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the Vino 125 is quite slow and outdated, probably why its not bein produced no more. To bad they couldn't just redesign it, maybe power it more similar to the Zuma 125, their both 125 both that about where the similarity ends. Now the Vino 125 is a great little scoot, but it doesn't make a lot of sense over the Kymco Agility 125 with the price difference, probably one of the big reasons its no longer produced here. Now if you want a similarly powered scoot to a 50 cc with much better hill climbing abilities and a little more acceleration and top speed, and you don't really want anymore and like the classic styling, its a great little scoot.
  15. notdave

notdave gets bored easily

Oddometer:
    I have an 05 and 08 vino 125 for me and the misses. ride it to work about 10 miles round trip everyday. tops at 58-60 mph on the odo (not gps). don't feel the shakiness that others have stated.

my thoughts:

yes these are slow for being 125cc. i can't compare against other 125cc scoots but the video posted previously pretty much says it all.

brakes are very good.

ride quality is harsh and bumps needs to be dodged.

the rear gas filler sucks cause you can't put a trunk on back without modifications or quick detach cables.
  16. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the rear gas cap deal. Could you jsut cut a hole in the bottom of your milk crate?
  17. BUBB

BUBB lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer:
    Nope
  18. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep...............except my wife's Vino 125 uses a Pepsi crate.
  19. Treedguy

Treedguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a little tidbit nobody has mentioned yet.
    With the 10" wheels, if you lean it too far in a left corner the plastic cover will hit the ground and lift the wheel off the pavement.:eek1
    I'm glad it happened in a parking lot. Very embarrassing to high-side a scooter let me tell ya.

View attachment 292451

I love riding the thing. I also bought it for the wife to ride and I put more miles on it than she does.
  20. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard a lot of good about the 125 Vino. I've also heard about an exhaust bolt problem, and there is a fix for it.
    I'm an old motorcyclist that started riding scooters a while back when my wife decided she wanted her own two wheeler. We got her a Honda Metro (total reliability = perfect). I got a Ruckus so we could ride together. Got my daughter a Ruckus also for college transportation around town.
    Later the wife decided she wanted something bigger taht we could take trips on. I researched and we got a new leftover SYM HD200 for a good price. I sold the Ruckus and rode my motorcycles.
    Then we moved to Hawaii. I couldn't really ship my motorcycles, so I sold them. We did ship the SYM and I then bought a new leftover Kymco People 150. You might be able to get a leftover HD200 at a good price. I've still seen a few 2008s. The People 150 I paid about $2200, which was a great price. The People is a fine scooter too. A bit smaller physically than the SYM, and a little bit slower, but not far off from the SYM. It'll cruise at 50-60 and do just fine. By the way, both SYM and Kymco have industry leading two year warranties. Not even Vespa or Honda have this. And I've read about a lot of stuff Kymco does to promote scooter riding in general.
    Still, a new Vino 125 at $1995 would be a great buy.
    As a motorcyclist, my bigges bitch about scooters is the low gas tank capacity. In this, they all suck. My KLR650 held 6.1 gallons and got 54 mpg.

jon