Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I always like to use new bolts, especially the nice shiny strainless steel kind.... :wink:
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I've had both and prefer the GPR......the Scott's isn't calibrated so it's hard to find/save/store/remember what settings you like in different conditions.......the GPR has a simple/calibrated 1-8 dial.......solid product/great customer service/local company (for me)......you might be able to save ~$40 going through Rocky Mtn ATV......
  3. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to mention that you can go directly from 8 to 1 on the GPR without having to 'rewind'. I find that handy sometimes. I have both, Scott's on the F800GS and GPR on the WRR. I prefer GPR as well.
  4. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    I bought that bike off some dude on Craigslist for ~$275 and a CORE T-Shirt :D

There are plenty of websites that sell 49/66/80cc "kits"........this one is 66cc of bad ass :lol3

It stays at my river house where it's equipped with 12 pack basket and cup holder for quick rides over to check the water level.......and a skull/squeezy horn get the kids out of my way.......I have no interest in pedaling when it's ~110+ in the summer....:1drink

[​IMG]
  5. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be carefull useing stainless on parts that see lots of shear forces like a sprocket. Lots of stainless at most hardware stores is very low grade. Reusing your existing hardware with some anti-seize has always worked fine for me
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies on the steering dampner.
  7. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr. Black999,
    What are you trying to accomplish? What area is local?(you didn't say on your profile:huh). Are you trying find a direct weigh replacement for the OEM Kayaba springs? I would locate a local suspension shop first to see what they carry(Eibach,Penske,racetech,) for a 46mm Kayaba inverted cartridge fork. If your looking to just find an old fork to scrounge a 46mm set from I think some of the older CR's like Cr500's used them, but you still would have to change out the springs for an SM specific rate.

http://www.suspensiondirect.com/category/141C/46mm-KYB-Springs/1.html these guys sell direct parts for the Kayaba 46mm

Here is a list of bikes that use the same Kayaba service kit(
    KYB Fork Service Kit 119994800301) so might have the same fork:
    2009-2012 Honda CRF450R
    2005-2012 Yamaha YZ125
    2004-2012 Yamaha YZ250
    2004-2012 Yamaha YZ250F
    2004-2012 Yamaha YZ450F
    2007-2011 Yamaha WR450F
    2007-2011 Yamaha WR250F
    2010 Yamaha WR250R
    2010 Yamaha WR250X
    2006-2008 Kawasaki KX450F
    2005-2007 Kawasaki KX250
    2005-2006 Suzuki RMZ250
    2005 Kawasaki KX125
    2005 Kawasaki KX250F
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies on the sprocket bolts!
  9. UtahFox

UtahFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious to know if there's any weight saving to be had using new wheels such as these?

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/1/12/396.shtml

I don't see the weight listed here, and I have no idea what the weight of stock wheels are either. I'm assuming the main reason people get aftermarket wheels is for their burliness, is weight another?
  10. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most do it to their bike so they have a set of dirt and street wheels. No experience with that brand, but Excel rims are supposedly tougher and run more true.

I would not think their is much difference over OEM as far as weight and that is the last place I would be looking to save weight. More prone to damage and the dollar to savings value just isn't there.
  11. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    Was thinking dirt tricks - but may just go with a rocky mountain package but may go 13/47(aluminum) and a 112 chain for a slightly longer wheel base and room for a 606 if it decide to go that route.
  12. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    My .02

Aluminum sprockets are good if you are racing mx and saving ounces, but will not last very long if you are actually putting miles on your bike.

I run the steel 13/47 from RockyMountain and get about 6,000 miles out of a chain/sprocket set.
  13. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    I'm currently running the Dirt Tricks on two bikes. I can't tell you how long it will last, it's not showing any wear yet. But... Krabill rides his beast harder than I do mine!
  14. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I'm trying to find replacement springs for the forks and rear shock,moslty for the rear shock., the only ones that I can seem to find for the WR250R/X are from Racetech. The stock srpings are not correct for my weight. My location is Nova Scotia Canada. Also thank's for the list of bikes that should help.
  15. ecarnell

ecarnell Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What is the stock? Steel or Aluminum? If I get 12,000km on a set of sprockets and chain I'm fine (like my stock set).

Was also liking to Blue Aluminum sprocket and gold chain combo, but if stock is steel - I better stick with it.......

Update - looks like stock is steel after all.
  16. pfy50

pfy50 Professional nOOb

Oddometer:
    Here is the guy that did mine http://motocd.com/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3
    His name is Rick Tannebaum of Cogent dynamics in Asheville, NC. He can get you the correct weight racetech or other brands; he has a custom spring maker; I went with a 9.1kg/mm for my WRR shock, but I'm 240 plus gear and camping equipment. Tell him your weight and intended use and he can get you a spring made even closer that the racetech chart shows you. Then post it up to Nova Scotia.
    Nice riding up there on the Cape:D
    Paul
  17. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

We KLX650 riders deal with spring issues when putting the DRz shock on our bikes. I learned it is all about spring length and ID. Then there are spring manufacturers like Eibach and others who sell the springs by length ID and load rating. We use a 10x2.5 spring with 500lb/in rating. The DRz uses a 1/2" longer spring, but a spacer or preload ring will take up that 1/2 inch. So measure up your spring free length and ID then see if you can find out what the spring rating is - the difficult part. I bought a spring from a sprint car coil over. The guy got a spring sponsor and sold his old stuff off. Spring was like new. Paid $25.
  18. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    I have had my WR250R for a while but it looks like I am going to Moab and I still have the stock tires that came with it on. I have a new front and back sitting here in the garage. They are Kenda 760's. They say they have a 3 ply sidewall.
    I did read here a few pages back that the Kenda 270 weren't recommended because of the thin sidewall.
    So should I change out my stock tires that came with the bike for the Kenda 760's OR should I put on a set of Dunlop D606's instead?
  19. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Run what you have and adapt if needed is my $0.02. Unless you are a super aggressive rider with lots of talent you should be fine with the Kendas.
  20. Crawdaddy

Oddometer:
    Put the Kenda up front and a Pirelli MT43 in the rear with a Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tube/rim lock......air it down to ~8PSI....and have the time of your life in Moab.....

I don't even have a WR250R anymore but I can't seem to unlock from this thread :huh :lol3