the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. Kennif

Kennif Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My apologies if this has already been thrashed out before - if so - please point me to the thread.
    I need some kind of rack either to keep my soft pannier bags away from the sides of the DR or a rack to put some kind of hard side-luggage in. I went for a week-long ride the other day and overpacked my panniers. The result was that the weight of the panniers pushed the side cover against the exhaust so the side cover melted! Bugger!
    Any thoughts appreciated. Especially polite and helpful ones.
    Kennif.
  2. Pickled Amnesiac

Pickled Amnesiac ex Fishbulb....

Oddometer:
    heres the pennytech option... they do fine for holding soft panniers off the exhaust... even fully loaded.

[​IMG]

another view.... not my blood either.

[​IMG]

cheers fish
  3. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    looks like my garage floor after I've been wrenching...
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Do these crutches get the wheels off the ground if you have a flat? It seems like lot of wrestling goes on even when I change out a tire at home when its time to put the wheel back on. its easy on my KTM's ive had and a pain on the DR. the front wheel would be some kind of trick with just a crutch I would think. I just put on a dual-star centerstand a inmate was selling fairly cheap and I think for a long trip it could be handy. Although the DR is going to end up weighing as much as a KLR with all these racks and stands and luggage and stuff. but I dont plan on carrying it so thats ok. I like the simplicity of the crutch idea, never tried using one.:ear
  5. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    You lit my wick. Crutches come in pairs. If the other centerpost was levered into the left peg I can imagine the bike being in a stable position.
    I will have to experiment.

N.B. The penny tech option of holding off soft bags by jamodu-fishbulb in post number 8329

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5563381&postcount=8329

expands the horizon for transporting and using two crutches like the one shown in my previous post.
    I do not want to sacrifice the rubber foot on the crutch.

I will have to figure out how to mount these crutches to the passenger pegs with rubber foot still attached and slant them up to my Ebay Barbecue rack similar to the penny tech mod shown in jamodu-fishbulb's post.
  6. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Fish, how do you have these tubes attached?
    Is that Exhaust Insulating Tape at the top of the tube shown in this picture?
  7. Pickled Amnesiac

Pickled Amnesiac ex Fishbulb....

Oddometer:
    the tubes are attached with hose clamps. im going to replace them with u clamps one day but so far theyve done 20k with no dramas.... the tape was there to protect the back of the pannier from the end of the tube.. it fell off 5 minutes later... the tube hasnt rubbed the pannier yet... so i figure it prolly wont... let me know if you want pics...
  8. Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry Coffee Addict

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of this, except I want to get the rear tire off the ground for chain maintenance... Or am I not seing those pictures correctly?

Im sure someone has done it, just like that, but long enough to securly get the rear wheel up. I'm trying to adapt a piece of 1.5'' pvc with a notch to prop under the frame, but aluminum seems more durrable.

dh
  9. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    One day i'm going to compete on a old DR650 (I'd be on quite a tight budget) in the Dakar Rally i have been inspired by this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1h-4WRhpGg
    and i just found out that someone did it on a vespa back in the day.
    I reckon all you need is a good group o mates as your team a DR650se with your basic suspension, exhaust, jetting mods and skid plate pluss some extra fuel and water tanks. I mean there are so many inmates on this forum with bike more than capable to go the distance.

The problem all these fancy and expensive bikes that compete at the moment is the riders, there all wack jobs who go to fast which then causes there bikes to fall apart then they have to stay up and fix it instead of getting some sleep so that when they start the stage the next day there to K.O to ride properly which in turn causes them to fall of and damage the bike again, its a vicious circle.

Now if they where like me (a wimp who is to scared to go fast of road)
    they would keep good consistent times and finish race without a problem.

Look lads and lasses I've got it all worked out, so who's with me lets flood the rally with DR's and incopitant riders just imagen the piss up in the local after finishing that ride.:freaky
  10. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    hmmm what about doing the dakar on honda 110 postie bikes:lol3
  11. garymonster

garymonster Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi folks:

I just have to say thanks to all of you. Only bought my 07 DR650 about 2 months ago. Every day I get on this machine I appreciate it more and more. It's a pure joy to ride.

Have had the chance to ride a few other thumpers this week. They pale in comparison. Now I've got a few friends who are very sorry with their choice of steed after riding mine. I can't imagine ever selling this bike. So glad I found this thread. Thanks again! :ricky
  12. eldavo

eldavo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you got the 14T front sprocket in yet? If you don't and you love it now, hi-ho-silver, whoah nelly, aye carumba!
  13. garymonster

garymonster Banned

Oddometer:
    Give me another month or two!

My wallet is bleeding! Especially after seeing Stack's beautiful machine. I still haven't quite paid for the Fastway F5 footpegs that are on the way.
  14. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    It must be frustrating to live in a place where you cant ride all year round, unlike the lucky country.

While Stacks bike is indeed pretty and hes a fine fellow.

I reckon mines prettier. :wink:
    [​IMG]
  15. garymonster

garymonster Banned

Oddometer:
    I went riding with my dad today. He's got a Royal Enfield Bullet. No thanks.

We're finishing a '75 Norton Commando 850. Should be done in 2 months. Look forward to riding that.

Please tell us where you are... :lurk
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    thats a bloody good idea when do you want to start selecting team members, you'll have to pay for all the gear, the bikes and the entry fea because i'm skint
  17. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oztralia mate.:thumbup

Enfeild - me neither but they are nice to look at. I like the old stuff too.

Heres some pics I took of a mates.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BTW I speak Australian because I'm Australian ;-)
  18. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    yeah, i like the sound of that
    tiny budget- in it for the thrill
  19. TMORAN

TMORAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked mine up Monday. My previous street ride was a Suzuki VL 1500 intruder that was heavy and LOUD. I just got it registered and iinspected Thursday. Friday I busted out of worl early to go for a ride with a friend that has a DR250. I can't believe how much fun that thing is! After riding the 1500 going into corners now is so much more fun! I think I'm going to get in trouble with that thing! lol! We had a blast!
  20. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Told'ya! :evil