GSA high lift jack for the sleeping bike

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SocalRob, Oct 28, 2008.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
  2. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:

If this was just a bit cheaper i would order one right now. I think this is a good idea. This would be great for my Ural too.
  3. 110Defender

110Defender Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As a dedicated 4 x 4 explorer, and camper, I think the high lift jack would also make a good come along type puller. I can see lots of uses for this, such as stuck in the mud, just pull out backwards. Pull out of ditch. I have an electric winch on my Defender, and it has many uses. Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
    Ken
  4. Makalu

Makalu Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to address a problem that many have had, and posting photos of how you solved it. While some of those here can bench press 600 pounds, there are many here that can't. Your solution may be a real trip saver for some. :thumb
  5. xjon

xjon Pedantic Bastard

Oddometer:
    Regarding the low pressure airbag...I turn my engine off immediately after a tip fearing the oil might not be in the sump to get pumped. For jeeps would be fine but I wouldnt pump the bag with the exhaust of the bike.

Also the beachball would be great and disposable but dont know if that could take the heat either. Especially the heat from the exhaust pipes which it would be almost touching. It will need to be heavy duty enough to withstand the heat and punctures. Which inturn causes it to be heavy, bulky, more expensive, and less disposable.
  6. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Great idea, and way beyond cool that you took the time to post the pictorial of the jack in action.

Does anyone recall Beemings set-up? He had some up with a come-a-long type setup and some type of anchor to screw in to fasten it to. He had fabricated a mount that went behind the license plate area. I've carried a screw-in ground anchor before, along with ratchet straps, but never had to use them.

The ingenuity and talent that is so often displayed in this forum is pretty amazing.
  7. tmgs

tmgs ...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer:
    N. E. Georgia, Space Coast FL.(sometimes)
    nice item, that could come in handy on more than just a GSA as well, I have myself been in a bad spot where I could not get my bike back up on my own

Tom
  8. Coachgeo

Coachgeo Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    NOW: Dayton OH area recent past WAS: North TX
  9. gritt

gritt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now my GS has a lot higher ground clearance than my neighbors full dress harley. I'm thinking that thing isn't going to be tall enough to help much. Could be wrong though.
  10. tariadamar

tariadamar mud lover

Oddometer:
    i love my 250 even when fully loaded it may push 200kg at the most.
  11. dfhepner

dfhepner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea. I called Frank at [SIZE=+1]1-888-766-9116 and arranged to get a unit. I am sending a check tonight and he will ship one to me as soon as he gets the check.:clap

I have been trying to figure out a way to have something with me to get a downed GS up. I was thinking of the old styled bumper jack but could not find any around.
    [/SIZE]
  12. dfhepner

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder. Before you start to pick up the bike, deploy the side stand. If you can then you are on the correct side of the bike.
    From experience, it is hard to hold up the bike while bending over the seat to deploy the side stand or hold it up and walk around the the correct side.:rofl
  13. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    As am owner and user of one of these jacks, I can vouch for its usefulness and construction.

Pulled into a grassy camping area in Colorado last summer, put down the side stand and shut off the bike. As I leaned it, it just kept going, and going, over. There was a hole in the ground covered with grass. Not only was the 1150GS on its side, but the sidestand was wedged in a hole. No one was around to help me free/lift the GS.

Unfolded the sno-buddy jack for the first time, rigged it up, and after several tries, uprighted the bike enough so I could push it forward so the sidestand was on solid ground. This was after I unloaded the camping gear.

One caveat, place a jacket or heavy cloth between the jack and the tank so as to not scratch the paint.

There be other solutions out there, but the sno-buddy proved itself to me.

Now the jack goes with me on all solo trips, just like the camelback and the tire tools.
  14. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    What is the cost for one of these jacks?
  15. ClayR

ClayR Animal

Oddometer:
    i am a skinny ddue and picked my gsa off the ground with my bare hands...chuck norris style
  16. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I paid $125 plus $10 for shipping a year and a half ago. Without the snow shovel and one extra section.

Ride safe Brother
  17. dfhepner

Oddometer:
    Frank told me $125 + $10 shipping Yesterday and I mailed the check today. My guess is that the shipping will depend on your location.

From the start of the thread I guess that I will need to make an extension and foot for the jack. I will post more when I get one.
  18. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The extension & foot are not really required, I just happened to be in a welder's shop and had him fab it up for a few bucks. If you were in real soft ground you might have to scroung around for something to put under the jack.

Since I got the jack a few years ago I have still managed to pick the bike up every time without it, but its nice knowing if I tweak a shoulder or leg in a crash while out solo, I still stand a good chance of riding out.
  19. dfhepner

Oddometer:
    It is better to be smart and use leverage to pick up a bike instead of damaging your back or some thing else trying to show off. I like to think that BMW riders are smarter and use every advantage.
  20. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

SocalRob, thanks for the post of a cool tool for those who really need it. I guess if you are tall and strong enough it is easier than when you're the shorty and/or have back issues..... Picking up a bike is all about technique as we all know, but good footing does help and isn't always there. I have found out that for myself, and I am sure other have too.
    I am with GB on downsizing when I can't pick up my GSA....:cry