Dakar 2013 - Official Event Coverage - thank you ALL TeamF5, lurkers and posters!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Screamingeagle3

Screamingeagle3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all :wave

will try to kech up,as soon as i figure out where i left it :D
  2. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [anorak] Tommi Makkinen RAC Rally 1998 [/anorak]

So how does a rider with a completely borked rear tyre get away with it?
  3. Screamingeagle3

Screamingeagle3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That was Makinen,when McRae crashed a car,usually it was unrecognizable :norton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60b0O9VnKEE
  4. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found the Makkinen vid

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/60b0O9VnKEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  5. 8340SU

8340SU Long timer

Oddometer:
    dakar com

At 4.15 AM local time, the starting time for the first biker, yesterday's winner Kurt Caselli led out the cortege along the ling stage via Paso San Francisco to return to Chile. 130 bikes have been authorised to start today. After a 392-km link stage, the bikes will tackle a 319-km special finishing in the valley of Copiapo.

With race number 40 on his bib, Riaan Van Niekerk is 13th, among the names that have resonated at the forefront of the Dakar over the last few days. He has been discrete, and the secret of his position is his consistency. He is one of the leading names on the South African endurance circuit, but his first Dakar could prove to be exceptional. The experience of Australian Rodney Faggotter is not much more extensive, but he also features in a very respectable 15th place, ahead of Jeremias Israel Esquerre and Ben Grabham, two men who have shone, to varying degrees, on the Dakar 2013.

After twentieth place, the battle is more intense. Frenchman Michael Metge currently holds this much sought after position, but behind him 10 competitors are grouped within an interval of less than an hour. In this commando, the most threatening rivals are Darryl Curtis, Stefan Svitko or Pablo Rodriguez. Joan Barreda is also part of this group, whose rear is brought up by Americain Kurt Caselli, the winner of yesterday's stage. Alain Duclos, the leading Sherco rider, and Marc Guasch, Gas-Gas team leader, also feature in this group.

There are riders, in the majority, who are taking part in the colours of KTM, Honda or Yamaha... And then there are the others, whose steeds, less common in the bivouac, attract attention. In 37th, Portugal's Mario Patrao is one of them. With his Suzuki RMZ 450 Rally, he looks like he will finish the Dakar on his very first participation: the finish is not far now... This is also what Swedish rider Thomas Berglund must be saying, on his very rare Husaberg. However, he will be frustrated at the finish, since he rubbed shoulders with the top 20 in 2007 and 2010...
  6. yammie

yammie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then you have most of it left i guess..:freaky
  7. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    By that regulation, you'll never see a quad or side by side entry from Canada. No fricking way to plate them.

Even a 450RR is a big problem, I don't know what Pat did, but by the books, he cannot plate it.
  8. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    Not to mention the size of the number plates on the UK registered bikes... yes of course they are all 9" x 7" :wink:
  9. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Loopholes?

Nasser's bugly had a California plate.....he's not from Cali, is he? :wink:
  10. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess you dont come face to face with the police, or if you do you outrun them :D
  11. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Tv coverage for today:

Fr4 1840 cet, 1240 est

Es1 1830 gmt, 1330 est

Es1 2300 gmt, 1800 est. Yeah, right.

Fr2 0105 cet, 1905 est

And to all those folks that thank me for this, thank myways instead. He came up with the info, I just barfback everyday is all.

He did the important work. :bow
  12. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Just no way for him to plate it in Canada, legally. Easier for us to plate it in NC than home, strangely enough.
  13. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    :nod There's ways to get it done...an inmate here in GA even has a Razor side by side tagged with AZ plates......
  14. Drif10

Oddometer:
    It's kinda screwy that Chile, while being south of Peru, is following the same time zone as Argentina, which goes east to the Atlantic. And Chile is on the Pacific...

Makes our lives easier, though. I really like these timings. They've about got the liason done by the time I get my first coffee down. *sip*
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Morning folks. I'm surprised, as I assume the ASO is that the attrition rate is so low this year. Maybe the next two days of Copiapo dunes will be tough.

Some great inspirational stories this year along with some fun conspiracies. The race at the front has been exceptional, I don't recall when the top three positions have swapped around on a nightly basis like they have this year. It has settled down now but for a while there it seemed like anyones race, awesome.

So a cold, long mountain pass then into some blistering hot sand. The sand mountains around Copiapo are truly impressive, these are the stages I've been waiting to see. Today has all the making of another epic day.

GO!!!! Lyndon!!!! :pynd
  16. Drif10

Oddometer:
    We can import from the US any vehicle pretty much.

Except for any KTM 07 and up. Go figure.
  17. michalCCR

michalCCR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, our four strong Slovak campaign has been three days before the finish reduced to just one last Mohycan.
    Števo Svitko has decided to withdraw from the rally after yesterday's heavy fall. He's cut and bruised all over the body.
    Ivan Jakeš is now going for the best ever Slovak result. And it's not as I don't root for Chaleco, but I hope Ivan is going to make those 5 minutes he loses for a podium.
  18. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, their quality this year is markedly down, Im sure diffrent photographers different situation. Webventure has become a wildy successful business, and knowing the founders from 2010, Im sure they have their focus on other things right now.
  19. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Last year was the first year the race has ever used tine zones. "Rally time" has always been the time from the starting location. Bending the traditions to better suit the media I suppose. As long as they don't have mandatory commercial breaks for the riders during the specials I'm fine with it :rofl
  20. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    I think the AF5O jury will probably accept that appeal f5lood... :thumb

Given the amount of "fumbling around behind the scenes to keep the shit f5ight that is the f5irehouse/cliff notes interface kosher" that you do... I am almost certain that a compassionate post refund (or credit as it were) of sorts is in order...

BUT... :deal

In accordance with F5 clause 205.1: "Compassionate post credits" for mods will be granted with a restrictor-gate coefficient of x 0.25... given that "cliff notes" posts are effectively only copy/paste in nature and require only one keyboard stroke :deal

To wit the F5 jury recognise that the act of "cliff note" posting does require a fair degree of combing the virtual piste backwards (say that with a listhp Carlton :lol3) on the part of the f5 mod's in question and therefore a great deal of the time spent can be equated to searching for vitual WPM's (Well Posted Memo's :wink:), the coefficient of 0.25, will be increased to a factor of 0.50... if the mod in question has contributed* (meaningful) text to the aforementioned and "quoted" wirtual WPM. :1drink

regards,

Af5o Clerk of Course/F5 Jury President

I. Don Giffafuk. :1drink

the f5ool known as TSC is exempt from this clause... as it has already been established he contributes little in the way of constructive or meaningful material...