1200 GS LC mods for tall riders

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kindofblue, Apr 26, 2013.

1. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    I decided to start this new thread for tall GS LC riders when I read the post on the LC merged mega thread below.

If you've found a mod or farkle that works for you please discuss it here and include your height and inseam so that readers can judge for themselves whether something might work for them or not.

I'm your height and inseam and had a 2010 GS. I've put my old fastway pegs on the new GS and they are a bit lower but not 1". I've also installed an x-tall Calsci screen which is far superior to the stock screen for me.

[​IMG]

I'm in line to have a Russell saddle made and will ask them to increase it's height an inch or so and to flatten out the seat horizontally front to rear. Production date is 5/24.

I'm also working with Rox risers and they're making prototypes of a 40mm fixed riser and a 2 1/4" rotating riser but I've not received them yet to try them out (I'm beta testing for them). Touratech has 40mm fixed risers on their german web site but they're not in the U.S. yet.

2. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the BMW riders tall seat (20mm higher) as on my previous GS I had the GSA seats fitted and liked the extra legroom. Yes, it is 20mm higher in the middle of the seat but the same height at the very back. If I had tried it before buying it, would I have bought it?? Hard to say! There is less of a dip to the front and in that respect better (flatter and more horizontal front to rear), there is more padding so good if you like that. Overall it is slightly more comfortable but was it worth buying (£200)?

BMW offer a low seat option at no cost but you have to pay for a higher seat. Don't know why but that's the way it is. My advice would be to try one before you buy it.

6'2", 32" inseam
  3. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    some thoughts on BMW 20mm seat height difference (excuses for mixing inches with mm):

the average driver seems to range from 5'7" (=67") to 6'4" (=76"). 9" difference, or 13%. With standard BMW GS seat in low position to peg distance of about 530mm, you'd want 13% or about 69mm higher seat if you are 6'4". Looks like not much difference, but ever so important in being able to use your upper legs in (active) driving, and to get some weight off your backside. BMW offers only 20mm (and I believe another 20mm on the GSA, but still short)

Question is off course if the 5'7" person sits too high. Answer is try some towels/blankets to get the higher seat position. I did (it's addictive..), and now sit 70mm higher and with with 1" lower Wunderlich pegs. Screen / airflow is another issue, but that is secondary to me.

My bars are standard height, but set forward. I thus have a slightly more forward, say sports bike, position.
  4. phillips_kl

phillips_kl n00b

Oddometer:
    Being 6'5, I'm gonna have to keep an eye no this thread to see where it goes... Hopefully I will be able to chime in after a while.
  5. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's the seat I have (I assume it is the GSA std seat..), but I've put it 30mm higher thru 'spacers'. With that I have one foot flat on the road, but kind of tip-toe on the other.

If I had to do it again, I would ask a shop to build me a custom seat to same height, with possibly some integrated limited luggage space within. Not sure what is possible with the '13 bike, but to me it would be great if one could put for example a rain suit under the seat?
  7. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    Rox sent me a prototype set of risers that are fixed (i.e., not adjustable in angle) and 40mm high. I put them on just before heading out for a 700 mi weekend ride down to the Gila then up Hwy 191 (aka 666) from Clifton to Alpine AZ. Here are my impressions.

The risers are well made and fit perfectly. They are asymetric so there's a left and a right side riser. The prototype came in polished aluminum but Rox has said that the production model will be brushed aluminum like the triple tree and bars. In light of that I'm not including pics of the polished risers.

The installation is straight forward and I did not have to relocate the clutch/brake cables. They fit. Just. If BMW has much tolerance on the lengths of these cables though, it's conceivable that someone might have to move their cables under and outside of the forks. YMMV.

The effect is has on my riding position is notable. And in a positive way. At 6'4" w/34" inseam, I sit much more upright and don't have nearly the pressure on my hands under hard breaking. The change in my riding position makes it so much more comfy it's amazing and I would highly recommend them to my fellow tall riders :D
  8. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    BMW enduro pegs in thier lowest position will give you some extra leg room, below some info I PM'd to another inmate

9. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    I asked my dealer's parts dept. how much they cost. $130 (w/club discount) EACH. Wow!

10. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    I've posted this in the GS LC farkle thread and in its own thread but also thought it would be appropriate here.

Well I've been using the prototype 40 mm Rox riser now for about 1500 mi. and couldn't be happier. The 40mm risers really alter one's sitting position on the bike, giving me a much more upright and comfy position. This is going to be a must have farkle for tall riders.

The risers don't bind the cables but just barely on the left side. YMMV if BMW's cable lengths vary a bit.

I would post pics but these are the prototype that's polished aluminum and black bolts. The production version will be brushed chrome with matching bolts.

Chris, Pres. of Rox said the production version should be available July 1.
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    How's that CalSci windscreen working out so far?
  12. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    It works well. My only complaint is that it seems a bit flimsy. But I've had it in some high winds at fairly high speeds and it's still there. Oh, and it does rub a bit on the black plastic deflectors when it's all the way down or up. So I just keep it a bit elevated and it's fine.

13. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    If you are uncomfortable, it's a small price to pay over the life of the bike.
  14. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    According to the BMW web site, at their lowest setting, they are the same height as the stock pegs. You say they are lower? Can you quantify that?

I have Fastway pegs on my 2005 and they have been good at half the price, and are somewhere around .75" lower than stock when you flip the bushing. Am unsure of their fitment to the W, but will be looking into it.
  15. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    Got the bike last week. It is tough being on the bleeding edge and waiting for all the mods to be produced!

Great to see that the BMW pegs can be lower than stock per measurements and photos above (I also saw the mfg statement that they did not go lower). Pivot pegs looked like another option for lowering but I am not sure how much. Subsequent brake and shifter mods aren't well discussed yet. TT has an adjustable brake lever but it looks like it mainly goes higher.

I hope the July 1 release of the 40mm rox riser comes true! Also waiting for Alt rider to produce their engine bars.

I will do the risers and pegs, then see if a seat mod is needed.
  16. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pegs on the GSA are made of stainless steel that's perfectly weldable.
    Cut them insert a bit of stainless flat bar and weld them back up.
    TIG or stainless rods, dead easy and cheap.
    It works, I lowered mine and made them pivotable as well.
    Mine a re lowered about 35 mm or so.
    A big difference in knee angle.
  17. kindofblue

Oddometer:
    I have the Fastway pegs from my 08 GS on the new LC. I had a shop cut the length of the shaft to fit my Explorer but they work just fine on the new LC.

18. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the same question on these BMW pegs.........the BMW literature says the lowest position is equivelent in height to the stock pegs, but your pictures and post would indicate that this is definately not the case.......????? Could you clarify what you have found with the BMW pegs -- are they really lower than stock???? Also when you put lower pegs on will you be more inclined to bump the kickstand protrusion since the kickstand fits just below the stock pegs??

:ear
  19. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    You can pull up your specific bike and use the modification button to calculate changes in ergonomics here:

http://cycle-ergo.com/
  20. GoGhostMoto

GoGhostMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates on anyone finding a taller windshield that they like and is stable?