Opinion - Which DS to buy?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by wsdbikes, Jan 19, 2012.

1. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    oh you are right, I could almost trade my XRs for a 520/530 KTM... such sweet bikes.
  2. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    KTMs pro vs con?
  3. Sedro Tom

Sedro Tom No hurry, no worry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the real question is how you want to ride.
    1: real fast, lot's of power
    2: ride to have fun, keep up with everyone
    Those are the basic choices. the other factor is
    down time, broken stuff from riding beyond the
    bikes ability to stay whole or your ability.
    I've only been riding on the dirt for 3 1/2 years
    so just having fun and not repairing the thing
    is my main goal.
    Everyone has their opinion, and you've sure
    got lot's to choose from here. :lol3
  4. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    pick two.

since you don't want to ride much slab there isn't much point in getting a heavy dual sport.

since you said you don't really need to go fast, get a reliable, easy to work on bike that isn't very heavy.

WR250F, XR250R, DR350 (dirt model)

WR is the fastest, still reliable, e start.. water cooled though

XR is the most durable/reliable, kick only

DR350 is durable/reliable, a bit heavier, but has e start

KLX is a bit heavier and softer sprung, but a better dual sport than the bikes above if you plan on doing that in the future. I wouldn't get one for a trail bike only though

WR250R is a bit heavier, but stupid reliable. I wouldn't get one for a trail bike only though

I think the KLX and WRR weigh about the same (~290lbs)

if you outgrow one of those bikes, get a KTM, Husaberg, Gasser, Beta, Christini.. etc. Then you will know what to expect and what kind of body parts you will break when you start going really fast
  5. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 to what n16ht5 said above.

If we're talking about the KTM EXC series; as turnsleft said, they are a dirtbike that can go on the road. Light weight, lots of power, and good suspension, but require a little more maintenance than the "dual sport" bikes being discussed here. The big difference for me is they're not a high-miles bike; don't buy one and expect to put 40,000 miles on it before a rebuild.
  6. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Who does that anymore? People always buying and selling I tell ya.

If you want a lightweight dual sport (around 250 lbs. ready to ride) you either buy European or get a Japanese dirt model and get it plated. The factory dual sports from Japan (XT225 being the exception) are not trail bike light unless you find one with plate or seek plate later.
  7. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Seems like transmission ratios are too narrow on some dirt bikes though for DS use. The wide ratio 6 speed is one of the biggest selling points of the KTM EXC four strokes, IMO. And the biggest downside of the DRZ400...

Edit: this thread in thumpers has data on transmission ratios for a lot of bikes. Looks like the XR250 or a WR250 would do pretty well for the OP.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742&page=16
  8. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tight ratios[CR] are cool for a race bike~suck off road. Some times a loow gear is handy. Werner had a WR~R and rode it ever where we took him. He used the clutch for a compound low.:lol3 Dual sport Huskys are CR[whats with that]. I never put them on a scale but the WR~R is heavier than the KLX. None of them are fun to pick up.

I change counter shaft sprockets on my KLX to match what I plan on riding. Also have 13, 14 and 15 for the DRZ. The KTM EXC will go slow and faster than I want to go. Like I said I have them right here if you want to take them for a short putt.
  9. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:
    r1200gsa
  10. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    heh heh, better than a R1100Gs with full knobs why? :ear

I am old and weak. i recall a 30 min rest on mainline at the bottom of a big rocky trail because it was so damn heavy. i got through that day with a lot of help. I owe KMDL a nice dinner for helping pick that beast up so many times.

tested a 1200 GS and it was pretty nice, felt 'tighter' than the 1100 but too pricey for me.
  11. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    the KTMs seem to have some real nice points. I'm looking at those too. I did love that 950 SM:evil

12. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
  13. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    the XR is a great choice for an all arounder. I have had a few over the years. it may come to that but, I am thinking that along with all my criteria i want to go with something new or nearly new.

e start is high on the list as well as being light. the KTM and the WR are sub 300 i think.

I need to get up to SW and take turnsleft up on his offer.
  14. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am intending to get away from my Drz and move to a Ktm 530. The drz is ten year old technology, weighs as much as a 640 adventure, and has a basic resale value is at $3k no matter what year. To the credit of the Drz it is hearty and solid with proper upkeep you can expect 30k miles out of it.
  15. DireWolf

DireWolf Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer:

OK.

Super 10
  16. Almost There

Almost There Up, up, and away

Oddometer:
    I've had a couple DRZs, a KLR600, a XR600, a KLX650, and a TTR225. Out of them all the TTR was probably my favorite as an all around bike. I think the newer small displacement bikes are the way to go unless you need race power. They will get you anywhere your abilities can take them.
  17. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which DS to buy?

In all honesty: Get whatever you like that's a good deal. Ride it for a while, sell it, and get something else. Repeat as necessary. Unless you feel compelled to buy new, you don't have to lose money when you buy and sell bikes, if you're savvy, so there's no reason to choose just one. (Ask Woodlief about that. :lol3)

Besides, you're own experience is a whole lot more valuable than what anybody else here can tell you.
  18. wsdbikes

wsdbikes New Max is Mad

Oddometer:
    Mark has gone through a lot of bikes. I think I may have him beat but, from years ago when i had a shop.

I have found that opinions of other folks are very helpful in nearly every question that arises. Many times I hear an aspect of the subject that i had not even considered.

I really do appreciate everyone that took time to reply
  19. markwoodlief

markwoodlief Long timer

Oddometer:

heres the last few years of rides.. :lol3.. any questions about those just ask.. :D

https://marxbrain.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
  20. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about how tall they are, but I'm really attracted to the KTM300 XCW 2-stroke. The newer ones have 6 speeds and e-start. You'd have to get it plated, but that isn't too much trouble in some states. If you want a light, powerful, mostly off road dual sport it seems perfect to me.