Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it works but it is not my first choice either.

If there are anymore comments. It might be better to post it in my vendors thread.The thread is is at the bottom of this post.. No sense gumming up this thread.

Thanks,

Mike
  2. dfc

dfc nonattractive

Oddometer:
    I am willing to give it a try to get a Centerstand
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Will take one as well if you make it.
  4. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    With 13,000 posts and counting I don't think gumming it up is remotely possible. Keep going! We get off on all kinda of tangents and a center-stand for the TA is something we've all been wishing for for 20 years so it's certainly relevant.
  5. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    That's what I was curious about. So here goes.[​IMG]
    Looks like about a 1/4"... More than I expected. Ordered the new one this afternoon, will be a few days before it gets here. I'll post more pics and measure again when I get it installed. BTW had to get the wifie to help with the shots. My nails don't look that good.:D [​IMG]
  6. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I will go ahead with this design then. I will send the patterns over to the laser cutter and have them start cutting out the parts.

The only other way to put the press down leg on the left is to make a hinged leg. That would be a bigger pain then using the right side, IMO

I have only looked at the US models and have no idea what fits bikes in other countries. It appears that the European models had the centerstand brackets for a factory stand. I have no idea what Canada and Australia imports are and what years might be the same as the US import.

Once I start fabrication I will post that they are available.

Thanks,

Mike
  7. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Can anyone post up photos of the US version underneath where the mounts have to go so that we can compare?

My 87 is a Jap import 7 years ago.
  8. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    This is the best "under-the-skirts" shot I have (meant to show TA linkage with AT swingarm). Doesn't give you much of what you want. Mark can likely do better

[​IMG]
  9. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    I'm not clear on what you are asking. Do you want to know about the mounting location for the OEM factory equipped centerstand, I can do that. I made a template of the centerstand mounts that could be fabricated and then welding onto the frame for a OEM swingarm.

If you are asking about Mike's swingarm mounts then I can't help with that, have no idea.

The location for these centerstand mounts are kind of obvious, they are the only flat "ears" on either side of the frame at the shock link arm. I'll try to post a image later today.
  10. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Here's a 1989 US California TA :[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got mine apart for service. Hope this helps.
  11. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    Am I missing something or could one simply learn to get on and off on the right side?
  12. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    You could but it takes too much time. First you have to click your heels together three times, then recite the "Don't Fall Over" prayer for forgetting to put the side stand down (which is on the left BTW). Then you have to remember to engage your left brain and pull with your left hand. Then as you turn to walk away from your bike, you actually want into it.s

It will take a bit of brain re-wiring.....

Then you ride your other bike...look down and find.....yep, you shoulda got off on the other side.

It's a zen thing....so, if I have to expain it, you won't understand anyway.:D
  13. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I made the stand so it is out of the way for the longer oil filters. The bracket that holds the tubes on the left side near the chain will need to be removed and the tubes routed over and in front of the main cross tube and placed through a wire bracket that comes with the stand. You will loose a little more than 1/2" of ground clearance with the stand. Compared to the European model you loose 2/3 less ground clearance.

I am thinking that I will make the return (up position) higher about one inch. A little more ground clearance would be good and I can do this with the press down leg on the right side.

Mike
  14. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I always get off on the left side. Here is the procedure.

Forget you have a centerstand.

Get off the bike and place it on the side stand.

Remember you have a centerstand.

Walk all the way around to the right side and place the bike on the centerstand.

You can then reach over and retract the side stand. If you are too old or too short to reach over the bike. Walk all the way around and retract the side stand.

To take the bike off the centerstand.

Stand on the left side and push the bike forward off the stand. This can be done with the side stand retracted or deployed.

If this is too much trouble. Please don't order one. :lol3

Cheers,

Mike
  15. Ladder106

Oddometer:
    Looks great, Mike

Any idea on pricing yet?
  16. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for the photos and explanation.
  17. Cigar Mike

Oddometer:
    I will not for sure until I get the quote from the shop that does the laser cutting. Originally I figured it would be closer to $180 but if the laser cutter is reasonable it should be less. My target is $160.

Centerstands are one of those items that after you have it on you never really notice it. Hardly anyone will know you have one until you put the bike up on it. This is a good thing in that it usually doesn't detract from the good looks of the bike.

Thanks,

Mike
  18. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Help! I need a right side (battery) cover in any color or damaged condition, I am having another bike repainted and can't bring myself to paint over a perfectly good white side cover.

Send me a pm please, thanks,
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  20. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Still looking, any condition, thanks ,