The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by HiTechRedneck, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    You can shoot prone all day if you sling up military style and wear a shooting glove on the forend hand. It absorbs most of the recoil. You'll also need a shooting jacket with elbow and shoulder pads.
  2. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool deal. Bet you'll like it. I've had one for several years now and it shoots good.
  3. gofast1320

Oddometer:
    I know what the chart says but there are a lot of things involved. I do know if I have a chance to shoot my .270 or .308- The .308 gets the nod EVERY time. The 30-06 class rounds have a substantial whomp and I've shot thousands of .308.
  4. gofast1320

Oddometer:
    Try to get a combo deal and turn the bushmaster. You should be able to get 1200 for the bushmaster with mags and offset some of your ruger outlay
  5. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Never shot .270, but I'll pick .308 from a bolt gun over .30-06 in a bolt gun every time. The '06 is about as enjoyable as 3" magnum shotgun shells to me.
  6. Dooga

Dooga Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    There are quite a few legal advantages to having your concealed carry permit even of you don't plan on carrying. For example, you can keep your range bag in your car instead of the trunk of you have your CCW. Weird loopholes are out there in gun laws and the CCW closes quite a surprising few of them.
  7. Jays-f800gs

Jays-f800gs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good info to know, I'm all new too this so all info is appreciated.
  8. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    Wandered into the local gun store on Friday, and they had just put an M&P Shield in their display case. I'd been looking for one for a while, and they are seemingly backordered everywhere forever, even Cabela's and other big places laugh when you ask them.

But here it was, and I shelled out $395 and took the little darlin' home. Shot it this morning, the target on the table is my first go at 20 yards. I like this gun! :clap

[​IMG]
  9. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Is it the 9mm or the .40? I've been looking at them online for awhile too. Nice looking gun. I've fed about 200 rounds through my Sig P238 and i'd be lying if I said I wasnt concerned with the misfires once in awhile. I'm going to run some more ammo through it and if it persists, i'll try another magazine. Anyways, I wouldnt trust my life with it yet and that bums me out with a $600+ gun.. I'd love a Shield in the 9mm though.
  10. Powers77

Powers77 2009 GSA

Oddometer:
    Something is wrong with the P 238. I have shot mine a lot and not had one misfire. Never seen it listed as an issue before. My glock 23 on the other hand has started failing to extract. Trying to sort that out.
  11. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    I've read that some have come with bad magazines. That was supposed to be with the earliest models though and I just bought mine late last year. I dont know. Every now and then it just misfires and I have to manually eject the shell. Doesnt matter what ammo i'm using. I usually use Winchester .380's, but do use various brands also. I'm going to really start working it out when the weather breaks. If it keeps happening, i'll trade it in.
  12. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    My Shield is a 9. Probably would have still bought if it were a 40. I reload so can tailor to my liking. I shot maybe 30 rounds without error. Comfortable to shoot with 147 grain hollow point over 4.0 grains of Universal Clays.
  13. Dooga

Dooga Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Wow, is the M&P really $100 less than a Glock? I never even considered that the Shield would be less expensive. Is that normal?
  14. ShadyRascal

Oddometer:
    $400-ish is the regular street price on the Shield. However they have been in short supply since introduced last April or so, and many places charge a premium, I've heard of mid-$500's prices.
  15. Powers77

Powers77 2009 GSA

Oddometer:
    Have you verified that it is assembled correctlly? I found some good YouTubes showing breakdown for cleaning etc... I know without a visual I would likely botch reassembly. The spring backwards or something like that could cause a problem. Otherwise I'd contact Sig, they are supposed to be pretty good on CS.
  16. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Hm, I looked at that chart and find it interesting.

Well, I guess I'll try to borrow a .308 before I order one.

My .270 is a weathby mag - it's a .300 H&H mag necked down. It's much, much harder kicking than the '06. I might use it to hunt with, but otherwise - no range time for it.

To be honest, it may have been my position, etc. It's been a long time since I shot it - maybe 15 years?

I like my 30-30, does not hurt, but it's not much fun as a mortar, I'd rather have something that shoots a bit flatter, plus I don't really want a scope on my lever gun.

I would not mind .223 except you can't buy anything to shoot in it - a bolt action .223 would be a mild shooter.

BTW, both of these guns are vintage 1960's in excellent condition, there's no way I'm fitting 'em with anything as crass as a muzzle brake...
  17. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    In my state having your CCW opens a number of areas to carry. In Oregon, if you have a CCW you can carry in most public places; whereas you cannot otherwise.
  18. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i've read about the breakdowns and assemblies and watched youtube videos. Everything seems fine. I dont know. It doesnt happen a bunch (maybe 4 times in the 200 rounds shot through it). I'll pay more attention to it soon.
  19. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:
    i know this is a pretty informal gun thread, and it's cool that you seem fairly calm about the problem with your glock. however, glock malfunctions aren't/shouldn't be too common. can you give us some more info so other owners/prospective owners can understand what you are dealing with?

age of magazine?
    same problem with different magazines?
    age of gun?
    ammo you are experiencing problem with/other ammo you have tried?
    any modifications to gun?
  20. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good advice. When I first moved here 20 years ago you needed a "hunting and shooting permit" to transport a handgun to the range. When I went to the police station to get one the officer told me to just get a carry license instead since it's less restrictive, so that's what I've always had. I rarely carry concealed, but I never have to worry about if I'm following the letter of the law when going to the range. Loaded, unloaded, locked in a case, sitting in my armrest, ammo nearby, or ammo in the trunk. It doesn't matter so I don't have to worry about getting caught in a technicality during a traffic stop.