2009 URAL Gear-Up Sahara purchase

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by SamM, Feb 23, 2013.

1. vetsurginc

vetsurginc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tough decision. But understandable. I've been riding not quite as long as you, and I can't imagine not. One thing I've thought of, if riding my Ural becomes to much of a challenge, is one of the CanAm 3 wheelers like Fred Rau (MCN) likes so much (tons of "you can't flip me over" software, ABS, ACT you name it, and unfortunately priced like a GoldWing).

First things first though - get better!:lift
  2. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The Can-Am is great. I've ridden them and love them but I'm not sure I can spend that much.

The URAL has been sold!

Sam M
  3. mismith356

mismith356 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow...that was quick! I hadn't even had a chance to speak with SWMBO. Hope you getting healed up Sam and can ride again at some point in the not too distant future.
  4. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    I've got until May 30th until they take the fixture off my left leg. Then, I go into a full leg brace for rehab.

It's doubtful that I will ever ride streetbikes again. This was my last shot and I blew it. I may keep a plated off-road bike to ride on my property and to church once in awhile. But that's about it.

SamM
  5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Damn, I'm very sorry to hear that. As bad as the results of your crash are, at least you are here. The former editor of Road Runner wasn't as fortunate with his try at sidecars.
    Best of luck with your rehab,
    Tom
  6. kilroy1

kilroy1 was here!

Oddometer:
    Hey Sam,

Sorry to hear about your decision to stay off of the bike's. I would say considering how bad this wreck was that I would probably be doing the same thing. Matter of fact my wife and family after hearing about your wreck are all on me about selling the bike. I am still currently resisting. Have the doc's been able to repair your knee? From the description I got it sounded pretty harsh. Rehab sounds like you are moving in the right direction though. Keep healing and don't give the doc's to much grief! :roflPM me if you want to talk offline.

Shane
  7. gobium

gobium Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sam.
    Heal fast and keep your spirit up. See you Tuesday. Van
  8. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    The URAL was my last chance at riding motorcycles and quite frankly, I blew it. The worst part is that I'm still not sure what I did wrong. The impact was at about 5mph. The guardrail grabbed me and I was pulled from the bike. The rest is history! A wise man once said, "a man has to know his limitations!" This has taken too much out of me. I'm done with street bikes. I may keep a small displacement dual sport to ride on my property and to church but unless someone gives me 25k for a Can-Am RT-S street bikes are just a memory for me.

Shane,
    I'd love to talk with you. Call or text me your number and I'll call you back. Call me at: (304)288-9789 or text my iPhone at: (304)777-3083. My iPhone is out of service here but I may get a text. It's hit or miss. Your mom is awesome! She has called me a couple of times to cheer me up. Your Uncle Rob calmed me at the crash scene and kept me talking and from going into shock. Truth be known, he probably saved my life. He has been the best friend that anybody could ever ask for. We've been through thick and thin together. Same with Dave and my co-worker Jeremy that were both there on the mountain that day. Great guys and heroes!

Tom,
    Thanks for the well wishes. I doubt that I will ever fully stop riding but street riding will be a low priority. To my buddy Rob's house (3 miles), the store (6 miles) and I could still do some light trail riding. I've been looking at a Rokon or a small dual sport to fix up. I have a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S that I have farkled out but I sold it to a buddy before the crash. He still wants it, so I'll let it go. I'm a man of my word. He got a great deal on it too. I may try something European again and I still need to sell my 2005 KTM 950. It's in my storage unit with the URAL now. I have just over 100 acres of off-road heaven in my backyard. I could also pack a small bike to the hundreds of miles of trails here in WV. It's all good!

Thanks everyone!

SamM
  9. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Hey Van,
    Sounds great!

SamM
  10. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Van arrived early this morning. He is now the new owner of a lightly crashed 2009 Ural Gear-Up Sahara. I am very happy and he also seemed very happy with the deal. He has some great plans for the bike. Can't wait to see what he does with it.

SamM
  11. gobium

gobium Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Sam
    The bike is fixed, road worthy. Thanks
    I want to post pics here but dont known how.
  12. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer

Oddometer:
    How to Post Pics

:deal
  13. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Van,
    Please post pictures! I'd love to see the bike!

My buddy has decided not to purchase my 2009 Kawasaki KLX250S. I have decided to keep the bike and upgrade it a little more. It already has Superlaced wheels from Woody's Wheel Works, an FMF Mega Bomb header, FMF Q4 muffler, and many other upgraded parts. This bike will keep me riding, mostly off-road though. It will be many months before I'll be able to get back on it due to my messed up left leg.

I'd like to again, thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes. I'm getting better everyday.

SamM
  14. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    At this point in my life, the Rokon Trail-Breaker is looking good to me. It lets me keep riding motorcycles, albeit off-road but still riding. My Triumph TR6 and KLX250S are for sale again. Those should net me almost enough cash to get the Trail-Breaker without depleting all my Ural fun money. The Rokon looks like fun!

Not sure that I want to ride the KLX anymore.

SamM
  15. Jarvis

Jarvis DC GSer

Oddometer:
    Rokon's are good fun. Do a search on the site... there are a few threads on them in other subforums. Keep your spirits up. :thumb
  16. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    I really like the Rokon Trail-Breaker in OD Green. Last Friday, I talked to Tom Blais, the President of Rokon. He took my information and sent me a quote for my new Trail-Breaker. I'll probably order it next month. My wife is giving me grief about buying one. She thinks I should save the money for something else. Not sure what that's about!

SamM
  17. Montague

Montague UDF Adventurer

Oddometer:
    an alternate universe, much better than yours
    I have a 2006 Ranger and also the sidecar attachment and really like it.

It is far more fun to ride without the car but if I want to bring grandson, dog, gear and whathaveyou, it is a useful. accessory

You will find lots of good info over at Bob Gallaher's Rokon World Forums, along with many guys who really know the tech stuff on them.

With that said, they are not everyone's cup of tea being very slow. My friends with 4 ATVs can blast past me but when the trail narrows or is gone and it comes done to winding between trees and climbing fallen logs or rocky slopes, I can keep going where they stop (with sidecar off of course).

Basically, it is half an ATV at a quarter of the speed. It does what it does very well but be prepared for the limitations (mainly in the speed department).

Best of luck and a speedy recovery.
  18. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is nothing at all wrong with a Rokon, 1999 Ranger here since I like the Honda engines much better than the Kohlers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit since this started as a Ural thread;
    [​IMG]
  19. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    My wife is really wanting me to wait until I'm healed up to get the Rokon. Honestly, I couldn't ride it now anyway. The fixator is still on my leg. It won't be removed until May 30th. The doctors still don't know how much movement will return to my knee. I suppose it's premature to buy a bike, not knowing whether I can ride it or not.

I still think it would be nice to use on the 110 acres that we live on. Thanks for the encouragement guys. I appreciate it.

SamM
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry to hear I your crash and resulting injuries/bike sale. All the talk of 110 acres and short hops to friends houses, church etc, seems to me like a tw200 is in order.

Heal up. You'll ride again.