In search of tires.....again.

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Dave-d, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Dave-d

Dave-d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hate to bring this up again, I know this question is asked frequently, but the market changes quickly and I have run out of luck. I am looking for a tire for the back of my wife's bike. It is an 02 GS with a sidecar. Right now we are running a 165/80 R15 street tire. While this is great for touring, it is non-optimal off road. Most of the options that I have run across are not available in the US, or no longer in production. Does anyone know of a decent off road tire in that size?

Thanks,

Dave
  2. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Dave-d

Dave-d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not been able to source the Vredestein tires. If you know someone who has them in stock in that size, I would love to get in contact with them.

Thanks,
    Dave

4. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I bought my Snow Plus from these guys. Good guys! But important to place the order by phone, not over the internet. And, like others, they only get them once a year. But that time is now! I ordered in September and got it I think in November.
  6. Dave-d

Dave-d Adventurer

Oddometer:

I just got a hold of the Premier Tire in Denver and they actually had them in stock. The Vredesteins are ordered. Tires by Web were out of stock, at least that is what they told me on the phone.....

Thank you for the leads on the tire dealers. My wife will love the new tires I think.

Dave
  7. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    While searching, also search for 165 SR 15 which is pretty much the same size as the 80 series.

I have a 2004 1150GSA with a DMC 15" pusher, and I'm running 155's, not 165's. The tread width is 6% less but the friction coefficient goes up on the contact patch so essentially they work about the same as the 165's.

Here's a recent pic--

[​IMG]

That doesn't look too bad, does it?
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Oops! Was composing the previous post while you were posting yours. All's well!
  9. hzoltaan

hzoltaan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Could you guys mention a few not too wide 15coll tires?
    I put a 125cc "cruiser" rear wheel into my Jawa, but the tire on it is a bit too chunky and it does not handle well. the tire is 130/80/15. What I look for is something around 110 width (this which should be on a Jawa) and preferably something between a road tyre and enduro tyre, (like those old types dirtbikes used) so I can still use the bike on normal road (mostly) in solo, but it will not bog down riding in snow with a sidecar... (like i did last year... :D )

Lot of wishes, huh?
    Been searching the net but there aren't a lot of tires in this size. :/

Thanks.
    Z
  10. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put a Nang Kang 165 80 15 From Mid America VW parts catalog. After that great SR15 that came with my pusher tire came apart on the way to the MOA nationals. It works good. I was able to call them order the tire and was here in 3 days....
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The O.P. is not looking for a street tire. Nankang, Kumho, Federal (I think that's the one you used to have), Michelin, Vredestein, BF Goodrich, and Nexen all make perfectly suitable street tires in 165/80-15 and all are available in the U.S.

It's finding an off-road style tread that's tough.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Z--there are no car tires narrower than a 155. For your Jawa, you have to stick with a moto tire. And finding a 110 for a 15" will be difficult. Maybe try searching for a 120/70-15. That's a common size for some maxi-scooters and about as narrow as you are going to find.
  13. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Yeah.... tried to find tires for an hour or so yesterday and ended up with nothing. Buggered I am with this 15coll rim. But it looks good! :evil

We'll see what will I do with it.

Thanks for your help!
  14. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
  15. hzoltaan

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Do you have experience how do they work on normal pavement? Not exactly highway mode, The jawa is not that fast, but on normal road, wet road... ?

Thanks a lot!
    Z
  16. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats the problem Iwas having. All I could find were Street tires..I've been playing with old VW's for years now.And that size in a snow tire is hard to find..After that Hakkapta (probally spelled wrong) separated on the way to the
    MOA nationals it was either trailer it home or find a tire.Which I duid it was used,but got me home..I put a new NangKang tire on which is suppose to be an all season tire...But if you find a snoe rated that will take the summer roads I'd be interested...Putting together a spare pusher tire don't want to get stuck agin...
  17. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    Premier always has them in stock but I get the same price from my local independant shop and I would rather support the local guy. Besides I don't have to mess with shipping and he installs it for free since I order it through him and I just bring him the wheel.

Glad you got a tire, you will like the Vredestein.
  18. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got a local tire guy,but he had noluck.These preimers tires where are they ou of? getting a steel rim to make the spare travel trire....
  19. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    At this time I haven't tried it my self, but I see many dual sport bikes running knobs on both ends and they seem to be having no problems even at hwy speeds.
  20. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Denver