The Trans Missouri Trail - The "TMOT"

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by bash3r, Jan 6, 2011.

1. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Us Missouri adventurers are working on a trail system through our state. Our plain is to provide a few different routes through the state both North/South and East/West. Whether you are heading down to jump on the TAT or just passing through, we hope to send you on a good ride either way!

TMOT Updated: 7/21/17

Check out the most up-to-date TMOT details here: http://basherdesigns.com/tmot/

GPS Files

http://basherdesigns.com/tmot/

Ride Report: Our TMOT South Trip 5/20-22/11.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692869

[​IMG]

There's still work to do going north. If you are coming through the state and need some help routing.. just let me know.
    ManWithHat and WRW9751 like this.
  2. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:

In! :clap

Good start on the website, bash3r! BTW, is there any point on the MO-IA border that the IA trails begin? Daughter is attending Truman in Kirksville, and it's been a plan of mine to go looking up there for some gravel routes around that area. I see a lot of gravel county roads that start just a few hundred yards off of Hwy. 63, so I know there is some potential riding up there.
  3. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I have been working on a Trans MO Trail all winter. It is a total of 700 miles. It starts in Athens Missouri and ends in Blue Eye. Some of the highlights:
    Two covered bridges
    The Soldier In The Field
    two or three swinging bridges
    three historic mills

I have incorporated the first 125 miles into a planned ride next weekend (http://www.rideforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8696#p8696) Once ridden I will have ridden over 75% of the route (if you include driving over 85%) at one time or another.

I hope later on this winter I'll be able to ride the entire route. I'll post it when I do.
    GoGhostMoto likes this.
  4. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Great.. we'd love to see your route. There are some great gems in MO to see! But coming from a Jayhawk Fan, seeing is believing for us Tigers in the Show Me state!:rofl
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    And for some of us Tigers in Arkansas too. I am for two teams, Mizzou and any team playing against Arkansas. Did I mention I am a transplant?
  6. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put together this little ride that starts on a levee on the Missouri side of the Mississippi river at Chester, Illinois---and ends up in Big Eye, Arkansas--the start of the Arkansas Trans trail. The gps file is below.

If you ride it--keep these notes.

The track log I made shows 481 miles in length--however there are a lot of straight lines on the track log---so it will be quite a bit longer than that----maybe close to 600 miles.

It starts on a gravel levee and drops down into a valley and crosses a very old one lane wooden bridge that few people know about--it was there last year.

I've dropped many waypoints along the route---take note of each--some, such as the many spring waypoints may be a little off the route---try to find them if you like. It may be one I've been to--it may be one I found on a topo map (and haven't been to) and it could be really neat--it could be on private property (stay out)--it could be dried up--and it could be beautiful. It's an adventure.

You'll do many creek fords----some are not do-able at high water. A couple you'll have to route around quite a distance if the water is deep. The Sheldon ford is a different animal everytime I do it---after every rain it changes dramatically.

You'll ride by many old grist mills and the glade top trail and cross on a ferry at Bull Shoals Lake.

You'll ride stuff that could be ridden on a gold wing---and some pretty gnarly stuff---I personally wouldn't take a large bike on this ride---a 950 KTM would be the only big bike I would recommend----a KLR or smaller would be much more fun and the riding would be much easier.

The route goes thru the tram trail near Van Buren---probably the most difficult riding besides the river fords.

The riding near the end at Blue eye---may not be so great---but I got nauseated when the route got to close to Branson.

You'll have plenty of places for gas and food along the way---I'm not going to get into campsites or motels---your on your own to do as you like.

Have fun with this----I have over 100 springs marked in Missouri---but just put a few on here near the route.

Hope you enjoy it :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Oh2RideMore and ZachM1 like this.
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Map overview of my TMOT

Attached Files:

8. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Thanks BigDog!!

I'm throwing your TMOT in the master gps file. Some of the other routes I'm looking at through the National Forests are yours, and this file sure will help me out!
  9. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    This will be very cool Bash3r. I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Mark, this community can always count on you. I'm looking forward to getting your gpx catalog online. To whip this file out on a whim leaves me wanting to know what else you have in there.
  10. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Yes! Once we get a few clean routes, we'll post the official routes on DSM! We'll have a few different routes depending on where folks are headed...

I'm thinking the TIT should pick up right where Mark's TMOT starts :thumb Then that route will hand us off at the TWAT (Trans Wisconsin Trail) We got a lot of riding to do!
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    A bunch of upper midwest stuff was posted the last few days. You should take a look. I'm so excited about all the great data that is finding it's way onto the site. I just need more time to ride! If I get my wife a side car rig so she can haul the youngster and all three of us and hit the trail. One of these days she will see the wisdom of this idea :norton
    Old Mule likes this.
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    . . . and further connect to the WMDSA or the UPAT and back down into Indiana and on from there.
  13. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Yeah, tracks very similar if not identical to these were just posted on dualsportmaps. Those are the ones I wanted you to look at Bash3r. There is also a Trans-Minnesota Trail that is worth looking at.
  14. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Crafty, who is posting my tracks to your web site?

Edit: Let me explain my concern. I am careful to update my tracks as changes take place to keep them legit (MVUM, land use changes, etc). I only continue with this thought in this thread because it will be of interest to all of us that post tracks. Once a route is republished by someone else on a site out of visibility or control of the person responsible for the file, those changes can be lost, people can violate inadvertently, and the author gets slammed for putting out a bad track or one that does not abide by the rules. Case in point - a forest superintendent I coordinated a track with contacted me the other day to let me know that new restrictions are in place that required me to alter the track. I made the changes, took down the old file, and put up the new one to get everyone legit. I don't want to belabor this in the thread, so I'll get with you off line. I don't know that it is a good idea for anyone to be able to post someone else's track without references to the source and a warning to verify with the source.

I also notice that someone took the tracks from the WMDSA, renamed them "Trans-Michigan Adventure Trail", and posted them there. Kind of hard to keep track of that once it is casually renamed. :dunno
    Roctane and ZachM1 like this.
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Kknuth

Take a look at them, if they are yours I can transfer over to you if you have a login. It's easy to do. In fact, he asked me today if how he could transfer them to someone else. Perhaps he meant you.

I prefer to think of it as OUR site. :)

16. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Great point, Cannonshot... I make sure I only post routes that I've actually ridden and are MY tracks.

With that note we must remember the TMOT is in progress and should be publicized as such, until it's officially been ridden and documented. I know BigDog has ridden his TMOT contributed route, so no worries there...
  17. LeeU

LeeU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bigdog know's his Missouri trails!! Rode a few chasing those grist mills!!!
    He's great with tracks & waypoints. Probably the only one I've met that maxed out the Garmin 276c waypoint limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:lol3

LeeU:freaky
  18. cman

cman cman

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. Can't wait to see some routes. Guess I will need to break down and figure out a GPS to buy. 2 Thumbs up to this thread.:clap
  19. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    You got that right, and after trying to find a 276c for myself, I think he bought every last one of them, got them hidden in a bunker behind the house... haha!

Stay tuned.. hope to get more plotting done this weekend.
  20. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    This looks like it's going to integrate perfectly into my travel plans this summer. Here's the thing...

I'm working with an old Etrex with the city Navigator card, so GPX files do me exactly no good. Is there any way I can get a fairly detailed map of this trail or some lat/long fixes?

And before anyone says anything about the disk vs the card, at the time I got city navigator it was NOT available for the Mac, and I'm pretty sure it still isn't. :cry