1981 Honda CT-110 Trail Review and Observations

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klm4755, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Dasadab

Dasadab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I can assure you these are NOT letter-of-the-law legal. This fact aside could they be registered in other states? Possibly. If I were to buy one and take it to the license branch the nice lady there would tell me that it's not on the excise tax list for '07 and that might open a can of worms.

It's a damn shame that the laws have restricted entrepreneurs from legally bringing in vehicles for resale here that the market wants and needs.

One solution might be to buy a US-titled junker or frame and rebuild the new bike on it. I'm looking for a titled frame as I write this just for this purpose.
  3. anomad

anomad not in storage

Oddometer:
    Great thread, I really love these little bikes. I wonder why 4 wheelers are so insanely popular here in the states but ag bikes are non-existent.
  4. klm4755

klm4755 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ag bikes = farm bikes?
    Keithm
  5. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    My 71 CT90 was my first bike 6 years ago and I still have it. I spent a lot of time on the Yahoo groups and it is a very good source. As others have said DRATV is the best source for parts on these bikes....ebay can be good. The power difference between a 110 and a 90 is marginal. I seem to remember that the CT110 had more bore and the 90 has more stroke. so...some people put the 110 pistons in the 90's for the best of both worlds. I need to have my cylinder cleaned up and redo the rings as it smokes like mad and is down on power....its very tempting to do one of the Lifan 125cc engine conversions and start commuting on the bike again. I also swapped the front fork with one from a 79 CB125. The 125 fork has internal springs and it works with the CT90 wheel. The 125 fork can also be used with the 125 disc brake setup.
  6. seven4eight

seven4eight Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. oppozit

oppozit Banned

Oddometer:
    Both the four speed and dual range are sold in Australia. The four speed is ADRed and can be registered, the dual range is sold as an ag/farm bike and cannot be registered. Australia Post buys so many of them that they are excluded from sales data to give the other manufacturers a chance of being market leader sometime. Some of the older dual range CT110s had ADR compliance so always check for a compliance plate if you intend to register it.

On the subject of Chinese replacement motors, be aware that some are based on the Kawasaki KX110 and have different engine bolt placement. Not a big deal if you've got the right workshop, but not a bolt-in swap.

Starting to see some nice conversions with pit-bike USD front ends and disc brakes etc. Pretty amazing to think that the C series started out as a 50 cc pushrod engine and is now available as a 150 OHC and you can buy 110 DOHC kits for them.
  8. klm4755

klm4755 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are great bikes
    [​IMG]
    Keithm
  9. starsvw

starsvw dreaming the dream.....

Oddometer:
    damn those are nice! I learned to ride my moms street 90, ran it into the ground and it kept going! Great to see you keeping it alive!
  10. Toadady

Toadady Push'n parts

Oddometer:
    I had a ct110 for about 6 months last year. bought it for $20. put in rings,and a set of valves,new chinese carb, got it going, but just didn't care for it, ran ok, just didn't trip my trigger like i thought it would, so i sold it for $300.

now i've got the neighbors ct90 K0 and a other ct90 to work on. seems word gets around quick if you can work on one.
  11. HiTechRedneck

HiTechRedneck Big Ruckin'

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 78 Trail 90 a few weeks ago for $75. Needs a LOT of work....but hopefully I'll be able to get it torn down and back up later this summer.

It's gonna be great for hill climbing the gravel knob of 30 acres we call home :D
  12. nofate

nofate what blackflies?

Oddometer:
    My first bike was also a CT90 in 1966. Dad bought it for me after working all one summer at his sawmill. I also used a boat floatation cushion as a passenger seat. Great memories and I can't remember doing much maintenance to that reliable old bike.

I remember the gas tank leaked fuel onto the motor. It caught fire one day as I was driving past a lake so I drove it into the water to put the fire out. It started right back up and I kept driving it with the gas leak. Its amazing I'm still alive today.

They would probably sell pretty good in north America if they were reintroduced here. Their practicality can't be denied if you can get beyond their looks. :D
  13. jbrownmxr

jbrownmxr Gas Passer

Oddometer:
    For those in the know, I just inherited a nice 1980 CT 110. Is it just a plug-n-play to put the high-low tranny in?
  14. BR0

BR0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1980 is a funny year. First year with the 110 but for some reason they dropped the hi-lo feature on the transmission. It came back in 1981. Rats!

Rich
  15. southernxmx

southernxmx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just yesterday i picked up an 01 ct110 off a mate for $100 and it came with 6 months reigstration, bike is fairly mint but signs of a hard life are showing due to lack of basic matinence but the reason i picked it up cheap is cause the motor has locked up and he couldnt be bothered fixing it. got a price off honda for piston, rings, wrist pin, circlips, full gasket set and a new barrel (just incase) and it came to $350AU, dead cheap!!!!!
  16. klm4755

klm4755 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not found a ride where I truely needed the dual transmission.
    Keithm
  17. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    A couple of reasons, a quad will pull a trailer and you can mount sprayers on them. Also, quads are tax deductible on farms/ranches.

However the primary reason is you can ride them drunk and not forget to put your foot down when you stop.:rofl
  18. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    If Honda brought them into the U. S. as "agricultural" bikes (assuming there would ever be a demand) they wouldn't have blinkers, etc. to make the DOT happy and would have quad-style lighting--unless Honda intended them to be streeters. Does anyone know if the CT motor would pass current EPA standards?
  19. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow these bikes sound awesome!

I totally want one

maybe this is a dumb question but I wonder if the high pipe has much potential to burn you? I'm looking for an urban scoot for me and my gal. I like the passports too but the ct-90/110 seem more plentiful around these parts.
    anyone have both or care to compare?

do many of the new 110 parts match up the the older 90's?

thanks
  20. muleburger

muleburger n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 65 CT200 trail 90. I have no manual for it. What is the shift pattern for this bike? Is it a 3 or 4 speed?